Edge error code 0xb1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Edge error code 0xb1

I have a 2006 Edge Evolution on a 2008 F150. When I tried to program to level 2 I got an Error Code: 0xb1. I did not write the text down, but it did not recognize my truck.

I picked up the unit used, and do not have the Edge Products Evolution Lightning Interface CD to install the softare on a PC.

What are my options?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
I think I'd just call Edge tech support.

- Jack

Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try downloading lightning off the edge website under product updates, then updating the edge. here is the link:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_updates.php

Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rybit29
try downloading lightning off the edge website under product updates, then updating the edge. here is the link:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_updates.php
That worked great. Thank you much for finding that link for me.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Well heck, nice save, rybit! Wish I'd been smart enough to think of it!

- Jack

Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 PM

I still need to call tech support. The software does not recognize the Edge when I plug it in.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by greencrew
I still need to call tech support. The software does not recognize the Edge when I plug it in.
Oh boy! I wonder if the unit was "unlocked" (programmed back to level 0) before you bought it?

And, I guess now I have to ask was this Evolution for the 2004+ model truck? The ones for the pre 2004 models look just about the same, but won't work. The ones for the older Fords have a model number of EEF2100 or 15050 and the one you need has a model number of EEF2400 or 15051 (depending on when it was made). If you have the wrong model, the seller needs to take it back.

- Jack

Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Oh boy! I wonder if the unit was "unlocked" (programmed back to level 0) before you bought it?

And, I guess now I have to ask was this Evolution for the 2004+ model truck? The ones for the pre 2004 models look just about the same, but won't work. The ones for the older Fords have a model number of EEF2100 or 15050 and the one you need has a model number of EEF2400 or 15051 (depending on when it was made). If you have the wrong model, the seller needs to take it back.- Jack
I did ask, and he said he set it back before he traded it in. The unit does have a 0 in the upper right hand corner. How would I know if it was not unlocked?

I confirmed it is a EEF2400 when I downloaded the software. It's in the truck now, but the box says:

Designed for the 2004 - 2006 FORD F-150
EEF2400

Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greencrew
I did ask, and he said he set it back before he traded it in. The unit does have a 0 in the upper right hand corner. How would I know if it was not unlocked?

EEF2400
It is unlocked if you see the 0 in the upper right corner, thats the level the truck would be in.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM

There is a 0 in the upper right hand corner.

I did have more success with it. The driver did no load, so I used the Windows wizard to load the driver. Now the software works when I connect the EDGE. I'm still trying to get the update to complete.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM

I displayed DTC errors, and I have five.

P0600: Serial Communication Link Malfunction.

--Possible Causes--
- Blown Fuse.
- Open between PCM and TCM.
- Open power or ground at connector.
- Damaged connector.
- Damaged TCM.
- Damaged PCM.

Note: Equivalent to OBDII DTC P0600.

P1000: Monitor Testing Not Complete.

--Description-- The on board diagnostic II (OBD II) monitors are performed during the OBD II Drive Cycle. The DTC will be stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD II monitors do not complete.

--Possible Causes--
- Vehicle is new from the factory
- PCM has recently been reprogrammed
- Battery or PCM had recently been disconnected
- An OBD II monitor failure had occurred before completion of an OBD II drive cycle
- PCM DTCs have recently been cleared with a scan tool
- PTO circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+ or PTO is on during testing

P2100: Throttle Acuuator Control Motor Circuit / open

P2105: Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Engine Shutdown

U0300: No additional information is available.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Global Moderator &

OK, Greencrew - you have the right Edge model and it IS unlocked. I think the problem is the firmware has not been updated to your model year truck.

Are you by any chance using a PC with Windows Vista? That OS does not play well with the updating software. Bill Cohron has published a "fix" of sorts on the www.PHPTune.com site for using HIS updating program with Vista. Look at the user manual there for "Pegasus", you may be able to get Lightning to work right with that if you are using Vista.

Good luck, these kinds of problems CAN be very irritating, but, I think there IS light at the end of the tunnel for you (and it's not the oncoming train)!

Good grief! You just posted all those codes as I was composing this. Now I have no idea what to tell you!

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 02-16-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Reacted to a new post by Greencrew
Old 02-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Actually, now that I've taken a breath, there's one I know about right off the bat. Did you disconnect the battery recently? If so, you need to complete a "drive cycle" and the owner's manual tells you how to do it. Even if you don't, though, that problem will eventually go away.

- Jack

Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 PM

OK, Greencrew - you have the right Edge model and it IS unlocked. I think the problem is the firmware has not been updated to your model year truck.

Are you by any chance using a PC with Windows Vista? That OS does not play well with the updating software. Bill Cohron has published a "fix" of sorts on the www.PHPTune.com site for using HIS updating program with Vista. Look at the user manual there for "Pegasus", you may be able to get Lightning to work right with that if you are using Vista.
- Jack
Great. I'm making progress. I'm on a rather old machine by PC standards. Windows XP version 2002. I'm taking my time because it's still cold.

Sunday it was 16*. When I started the truck the Edge froze on the startup temp for the engine and trans. I assume that was because it was cold, and I still have this bad battery. That's one great thing about the edge, I get to monitor the voltage on this battery every day.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Actually, now that I've taken a breath, there's one I know about right off the bat. Did you disconnect the battery recently? If so, you need to complete a "drive cycle" and the owner's manual tells you how to do it. Even if you don't, though, that problem will eventually go away.

- Jack
I know I have battery problems and I assume the dealer disconnected the battery when I took it in because of the number of things which were rest.

Quick Reply: Edge error code 0xb1