Gryphon didn't fix problem..(Fuel Filter,Bad Gas)..What is the Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your fuel filter was bad and needed immediate change you would have a CEL for low fuel pressure. But you should change it every 15k - 20k miles.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
If any of you has a subscription to Outdoor Life, there's an article in the March 2009 issue on Page 26 about Ethanol fuel in Outboard boat engines. The basic problem is that alcohol forms a weak bond with gasoline, but if water vapor is around, it will abandon the gas, latch on to the water (forms a strong bond) and separate. This is called "phase separation".

Also, since alcohol is such a good solvent, it dissolves gunk in the tank including rust that was caused by condensation. The result can be a crud clogged fuel filter.

I would not have thought there'd be problems with a fuel filter that was relatively new, but now I'm not so sure. If the tank has been sitting around half-empty in cold weather, condensation will occur. And, if the tank was filled with gas that might be old, the problem could be even worse.

The article (not an advertisement) recommends keeping the fuel tank full to minimize the effect of water vapor condensation and to use a fuel stabilizer called Star Tron, made by Starbrite at each fill up.

(Now, to be fair, I just did a search on Starbrite and discovered that much of the article in Outdoor Life seems to be derived from Starbrite's website. This doesn't make it wrong, but, it means we should interpret the information with a skeptical attitude. Are they promoting a product, or are they giving us the real scoop on a problem? Personally, I DO think there's a problem and I'm looking for solutions.)

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 02-18-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added result of looking at Starbrite's website
Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try using Techron fuel additive it worked wonders on my truck after running Costco and Kroger gas for to long.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by NARC_F150
Contrare-mo-frare, (always wanted to say that)

About 3 months ago at 16,000 miles I decided to replace the fuel filter truck was running less than optimal. Guess what when my mech. took the filter off (now they have some kind of special key you gotta use) there was at enough water (dark murky looking substance similar to chocolate) to fill 5-7 shot glasses. After the new filter truck was alive again......

when i had my 05 I changed out the fuel filter at 20,000 and i couldnt believe the crap that came out of it. I chock it up to gas station tanks getting low and rusting out. you then fill up your tank with that dirty gas..... not saying that is the OP's problem. but i wouldnt dismiss checking your filter so quickly

Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by SlvrBrute
Well just installed the gryphon programmer today with the 89 performance tune to help compensate for my Banks Monster Exhaust and drop-in AEM dryflow filter and it is doing the same thing as the edge on level 2 was doing?? It will cut out if you softly accelerate to around 25-40 mph range and that is where it doesn't like something because if you accelerate mildly to hard there is no cutout or hesitation in that range but if you let off in that range and then try to get back on the gas it will hesitate and cut out as it tries to regain speed...seems to be the range that most of the problem occurs and it also seemed like at 60 mph if you would let off and try to get back on the gas it seems like it isn't as responsive as I am thinking it should be or hoped the gryphon would fix...So I really can't tell that the gryphon has done much because the problem is still there that occurred with the edge and the truck just doesn't seem to run very smooth with a tune or isn't liking something...But the truck runs fine in stock mode with the exhaust and drop-in filter except for the hesitation and sluggishness that is usually common with the trucks....I have contacted Bill at PHP and he was going to look into it so I don't know what the deal is but I am getting frustrated with trying to get the truck to run how it should with my add-ons which are nothing major!! Plus my gas mileage has seem to gone down and I don't know what is going on???

The truck almost has 10,000 miles on it and needs an oil change in about 500 miles but do you guys think I should change my fuel filter? I am also thinking of running some fuel system cleaner in the next tank along with running a more premium fuel like a 92 or 93 to see if that will help kind of clean it out if there is a little bit of crap in the system?? I live in Iowa and the only reason I am thinking about changing the fuel filter is because we have been pretty cold for several months and there have been like 2-3 day spurts throughout the last few months where it has been below zero and the truck started a little hard on a few of those days because it had been sitting outside for a little while because I am in college and don't usually drive much except to go to the store or get something to eat every now and then? Anything else that I should have looked at or that might need changed? Just wondering if anyone has some input because I am not sure what I should do...
We just issued you a refund for your custom tune, Cody. Good luck with your new tuner.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Cody,

Apparently e-mail has failed me again and you did not receive the notification for your updated tune. I apologize for that inconvenience. However, since you've indicated that you have ordered another programmer, I don't see any reason to look any further into the issue. I have cleared the update form the server and Corey has refunded your custom tune charge.

Take care.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Also, since alcohol is such a good solvent, it dissolves gunk in the tank including rust that was caused by condensation. The result can be a crud clogged fuel filter.

I would not have thought there'd be problems with a fuel filter that was relatively new, but now I'm not so sure. If the tank has been sitting around half-empty in cold weather, condensation will occur. And, if the tank was filled with gas that might be old, the problem could be even worse.- Jack
That's a big problem when Ethanol is first introduced into an area and put into old tanks for the first time. You would not have that problem on a new truck, unless you filled it up from a station with bad gas in their tank.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 PM
i'll sugest to change the gas filter often than the owner's manual recommended

Quick Reply: Gryphon didn't fix problem..(Fuel Filter,Bad Gas)..What is the Deal?