Gryphon didn't fix problem..(Fuel Filter,Bad Gas)..What is the Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gryphon didn't fix problem..(Fuel Filter,Bad Gas)..What is the Deal?

Well just installed the gryphon programmer today with the 89 performance tune to help compensate for my Banks Monster Exhaust and drop-in AEM dryflow filter and it is doing the same thing as the edge on level 2 was doing?? It will cut out if you softly accelerate to around 25-40 mph range and that is where it doesn't like something because if you accelerate mildly to hard there is no cutout or hesitation in that range but if you let off in that range and then try to get back on the gas it will hesitate and cut out as it tries to regain speed...seems to be the range that most of the problem occurs and it also seemed like at 60 mph if you would let off and try to get back on the gas it seems like it isn't as responsive as I am thinking it should be or hoped the gryphon would fix...So I really can't tell that the gryphon has done much because the problem is still there that occurred with the edge and the truck just doesn't seem to run very smooth with a tune or isn't liking something...But the truck runs fine in stock mode with the exhaust and drop-in filter except for the hesitation and sluggishness that is usually common with the trucks....I have contacted Bill at PHP and he was going to look into it so I don't know what the deal is but I am getting frustrated with trying to get the truck to run how it should with my add-ons which are nothing major!! Plus my gas mileage has seem to gone down and I don't know what is going on???

The truck almost has 10,000 miles on it and needs an oil change in about 500 miles but do you guys think I should change my fuel filter? I am also thinking of running some fuel system cleaner in the next tank along with running a more premium fuel like a 92 or 93 to see if that will help kind of clean it out if there is a little bit of crap in the system?? I live in Iowa and the only reason I am thinking about changing the fuel filter is because we have been pretty cold for several months and there have been like 2-3 day spurts throughout the last few months where it has been below zero and the truck started a little hard on a few of those days because it had been sitting outside for a little while because I am in college and don't usually drive much except to go to the store or get something to eat every now and then? Anything else that I should have looked at or that might need changed? Just wondering if anyone has some input because I am not sure what I should do...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Well I cant really answer any of your questions, but if you just put the gryphon in and you dont have the custom tunes yet, then it is the same as the edge programmer.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JWBFX4
Well I cant really answer any of your questions, but if you just put the gryphon in and you dont have the custom tunes yet, then it is the same as the edge programmer.
That is correct. Same canned tunes as the Edge.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
No I upgraded my evo to the gryphon and it came with my custom 89 performance tune that PHP did for my mods and they put it on the programmer before they sent it back out. So it is programmed with the custom tune that they put on it and the other tunes are the canned transmission tune and 93 performance...Sorry I didn't make that clear at first.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Ok, then there must be something else wrong.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Does it do it on the stock tune?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by SlvrBrute
Well just installed the gryphon programmer today with the 89 performance tune to help compensate for my Banks Monster Exhaust and drop-in AEM dryflow filter and it is doing the same thing as the edge on level 2 was doing?? It will cut out if you softly accelerate to around 25-40 mph range and that is where it doesn't like something because if you accelerate mildly to hard there is no cutout or hesitation in that range but if you let off in that range and then try to get back on the gas it will hesitate and cut out as it tries to regain speed...seems to be the range that most of the problem occurs and it also seemed like at 60 mph if you would let off and try to get back on the gas it seems like it isn't as responsive as I am thinking it should be or hoped the gryphon would fix...So I really can't tell that the gryphon has done much because the problem is still there that occurred with the edge and the truck just doesn't seem to run very smooth with a tune or isn't liking something...But the truck runs fine in stock mode with the exhaust and drop-in filter except for the hesitation and sluggishness that is usually common with the trucks....I have contacted Bill at PHP and he was going to look into it so I don't know what the deal is but I am getting frustrated with trying to get the truck to run how it should with my add-ons which are nothing major!! Plus my gas mileage has seem to gone down and I don't know what is going on???

The truck almost has 10,000 miles on it and needs an oil change in about 500 miles but do you guys think I should change my fuel filter? I am also thinking of running some fuel system cleaner in the next tank along with running a more premium fuel like a 92 or 93 to see if that will help kind of clean it out if there is a little bit of crap in the system?? I live in Iowa and the only reason I am thinking about changing the fuel filter is because we have been pretty cold for several months and there have been like 2-3 day spurts throughout the last few months where it has been below zero and the truck started a little hard on a few of those days because it had been sitting outside for a little while because I am in college and don't usually drive much except to go to the store or get something to eat every now and then? Anything else that I should have looked at or that might need changed? Just wondering if anyone has some input because I am not sure what I should do...
Cody, do me a favor and pull up your HEX code using the Gryphon and e-mail it to me.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Does it do it on the stock tune?
No it seems to run fine on the stock tune, no stumble/hesitation or cutout...

Cody, do me a favor and pull up your HEX code using the Gryphon and e-mail it to me.
I will post it when I get out of class and can get to my truck but how do I pull it up on the Gryphon just so I make sure I give you the right code?

Thanks

Do you guys think that I should still try and change my fuel filter? Run a tank of premium and fuel cleaner?

Last edited by SlvrBrute; 02-13-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by SlvrBrute
No it seems to run fine on the stock tune, no stumble/hesitation or cutout...

I will post it when I get out of class and can get to my truck but how do I pull it up on the Gryphon just so I make sure I give you the right code?

Thanks

Do you guys think that I should still try and change my fuel filter? Run a tank of premium and fuel cleaner?
Call Bill. He knows this stuff 1,0000x better then any of us. Its his baby, call him. He will walk you through any issues. He is a great guy, much better then some forum.

Also, PHP has a forum....
http://dygytalworld.ehost-services139.com/forums/

And you can check your fuel filter. Dont just change it to change it. How many miles ?

No fuel cleaner.

Try running a premium gas, and take a couple WOT runs down the highway. Don't speed, just open her up.

most likely something Bill can fix for you. Again, I suggest calling him.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I have almost 10,000 miles on the truck...why do you suggest no fuel cleaner?

How do I check the fuel filter? And what is the purpose of the WOT runs?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 PM
"fuel cleaner" is snake oil. At 10k you simply don't need it. No reason for it.

Take the fuel filter off the lines, and drip some gas out of it. If its nasty and gross/dark chunky or anything other then perfectly clean gas, replace. If clean gas drips out, reinstall. General rule of thumb is to change it at 60k or so. If your at 10k, I wouldn't worry about it. But it is cheap and easy to replace, so if you want to, go for it. Can't hurt anything.

With good quality gas, and high octane, you can clean out some of the fuel delivery system. Also some of the carbon build up inside the cylinder. Thats why I suggest WOT. We do it here on Mercedes that are having issues during smog checks (knocks) and have been running crap gas.

Your issue, however, can most likely be fixed quickly and painlessly by Bill. I would betcha what i have in my wallet. Give them a call, visit their forum, post up asking questions, etc. They can help. Bill is super busy, so if the phone call doesn't work, try email. You can also contact Groovery Chick here on this board, and she can talk to Bill for you.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:28 PM
also, i don't mean to dismiss fuel cleaner so quickly, its just not something you need IMHO.

If/when you do need it, the best one we have found is Chevron's Techron (black bottle sold at most auto stores and at Chevron gas stations). drive your tank almost empty. Put one full bottle in. Fill up with high octane gas. When you have used this gas up, again put another bottle in, fill with quality gas, and should be good to go. Never seen a vehicle need more then two bottles, and I have been able to get the hydrocarbons down quite a bit on some troublesome Mercedes.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
"fuel cleaner" is snake oil. At 10k you simply don't need it. No reason for it.

Take the fuel filter off the lines, and drip some gas out of it. If its nasty and gross/dark chunky or anything other then perfectly clean gas, replace. If clean gas drips out, reinstall. General rule of thumb is to change it at 60k or so. If your at 10k, I wouldn't worry about it. But it is cheap and easy to replace, so if you want to, go for it. Can't hurt anything.

Contrare-mo-frare, (always wanted to say that)

About 3 months ago at 16,000 miles I decided to replace the fuel filter truck was running less than optimal. Guess what when my mech. took the filter off (now they have some kind of special key you gotta use) there was at enough water (dark murky looking substance similar to chocolate) to fill 5-7 shot glasses. After the new filter truck was alive again......

Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
fuel filter change is recommended every 15,000 miles

Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by NARC_F150
Contrare-mo-frare, (always wanted to say that)

About 3 months ago at 16,000 miles I decided to replace the fuel filter truck was running less than optimal. Guess what when my mech. took the filter off (now they have some kind of special key you gotta use) there was at enough water (dark murky looking substance similar to chocolate) to fill 5-7 shot glasses. After the new filter truck was alive again......
good line !

Anyways, I said I didn't think it was the case. But I did mention how to check, so I covered my own butt !

And yes, that new "key" makes it a PITA, and just another tool I had to buy.

Originally Posted by ParkM
fuel filter change is recommended every 15,000 miles
Good info. Most Mercedes is 30k-60k, so I was going off the top of my head. Appologize.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 02-18-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Gryphon didn't fix problem..(Fuel Filter,Bad Gas)..What is the Deal?