Edge evolution not displaying engine oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge evolution not displaying engine oil temp

Just as the title states. I just picked this unit up and everything works great, but it w\displays 0 for EOT. Anyone else have this issue? My truck is a 2007 F150 King Ranch, 5.4l flex fuel engine.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
No suggestions whatever, except to get hold of Edge customer service and ask them about it. Possibly, there's some defect in your unit's firmware.

- Jack

Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
well I do remember a thread I read where it would not display it on certain vehicles, but I dont remember the year or engine size this was on. but I did see this link when I searched... https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...-edge-eot.html

edit: theres also another link in that thread about it

Old 02-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Bill Cohron just answered this on the PHP forum. The 2007-2008 trucks do not have oil temperature sensors, so, you can't monitor it. You can disregard my earlier post about calling Edge.

- Jack

Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I found that the Oil Temp readout was somewhat worthless. I ran and the Engine Temp at the same time. Once the engine was up to full normal temp, the oil just mirrors engine temp, just 3 or 4 degrees lower. The only thing I learned is that it takes awhile for the oil to get up to full running temp. Maybe 10 miles or so, more than I expected.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Bluejay
If it makes you feel any better, I found that the Oil Temp readout was somewhat worthless. I ran and the Engine Temp at the same time. Once the engine was up to full normal temp, the oil just mirrors engine temp, just 3 or 4 degrees lower. The only thing I learned is that it takes awhile for the oil to get up to full running temp. Maybe 10 miles or so, more than I expected.
No, Jim, I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I've monitored the CHT, TFT and EOT together while pulling my trailer. Even under high load situations, (3-4000 RPM) pulling the trailer up mountain grades, the CHT stayed below 215. The TFT climbed up into this range too, but maybe due to my transmission fluid cooler, it didn't go higher. But, the EOT shot up to the 245 degree range in these conditions. It seems quite sensitive to engine load, much more than the CHT.

However, under normal load, I agree - the oil temperature is pretty similar to engine temperature.

- Jack

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
No, Jim, I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I've monitored the CHT, TFT and EOT together while pulling my trailer. Even under high load situations, (3-4000 RPM) pulling the trailer up mountain grades, the CHT stayed below 215. The TFT climbed up into this range too, but maybe due to my transmission fluid cooler, it didn't go higher. But, the EOT shot up to the 245 degree range in these conditions. It seems quite sensitive to engine load, much more than the CHT.

However, under normal load, I agree - the oil temperature is pretty similar to engine temperature.

- Jack
That's interesting. I never tow, so I have never experienced anything like that. I just assumed the coolant was doing it's job, the heat was being removed from the engine, and it would always stay close. My engine temp is always from 192 to 196 and the oil temp was always about 3 degrees cooler. My tranny temp is always a lot cooler, in the 150 range.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I def. appreciate the feedback. I got the answer from PHP earlier today about no oil temp sensor. I would have liked to monitor the temp because it is far more critical than coolant temp, but oh well. It's not like I could read it before.

On a side note, what a difference the Edge makes in the driving experience. I should have done this a while ago!

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
But, the EOT shot up to the 245 degree range in these conditions. It seems quite sensitive to engine load, much more than the CHT.
I would not have expected this. I guess it is due to the lack of a cooler on the engine oil. Thus the need for a oil cooler in race cars.

Quick Reply: Edge evolution not displaying engine oil temp