1 Custom Tune or Tuner with 3 tunes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Custom Tune or Tuner with 3 tunes

I've researched the forums and heard people happy with their custom tune, and happy with their "bought" tunes. I'm trying to decide whether it would be better to go with 1 custom tune (by dyno) or the a tuner (Superchips, Edge, etc) that comes with 2/3 tunes.

Here are some of the decision points:

Custom tune is approximately $100 more expensive and locks me into just one "tune". This tune would need to be multipurpose (performance, but still able to tow)

Custom tune can only be reflashed by the company that tunes it. No returning to stock tune for dealership trips, and have to visit the company if dealership reflashes my computer.

Going with <insert favorite tuner here> gives me a choice of 3 tunes and lets me restore the stock tune.

Custom tune would be designed specifically for my truck, and would be tweaked per dyno results, so I know I'd be getting the most applicable tune for my truck (even if it were dual purpose).

Even though I've got a higher count of pros for the going with the Superchips, I've heard and read that the dyno tunes are worlds apart from the "canned" tunes.

Does anyone have a working knowledge of having tried both, or have any other inputs that would help me decide between the two?

My truck is 4x4 F150 w/ 5.4. AF1 FIPK and Flowmaster 40 series SIDO exhaust with Royal Purple fluids (oil, rear diff, tranny)
Thanks

Tom

Last edited by TTEF150; 02-22-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added specs
Old 02-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor
My only real question would be Does your truck have more than one function? For example, do you use it as a daily driver AND also tow a 5,000# camper sometimes?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I've already talked to Bill @ PHP about stopping by for 1 custom tune, not sure if it's better than buying the tuner and having more choices, but I've already completed intake and exhaust mods, and never tow anything. So we decided a 87 performance tune would be my best choice.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i started with a canned tuner then grew onto custom tunes, custom is the only way to go and well worth the extra $$$ due to trans shiftpoints, firmness etc

Old 02-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Umm..and most tuners with a custom tune have canned tunes too. SO, you can have your cake and eat it too

Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM

really??? once the custom tunes are in the "canned' tunes are gone...

the OP can always buy an unlocked used tuner and get one custom tune for it

Old 02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
My only real question would be Does your truck have more than one function? For example, do you use it as a daily driver AND also tow a 5,000# camper sometimes?
It is multi-function, but rarely. My routine is daily driving. Once in a blue moon, I need to tow something so I'd like to retain that functionality.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by TTEF150
It is multi-function, but rarely. My routine is daily driving. Once in a blue moon, I need to tow something so I'd like to retain that functionality.
I think you answered your own question then. I don't think one tune will be enough, which rules out dyno tuning and a single PCM reflash. Please don't get me wrong -- live tuning will always be best; however, there are many tuners out there who have the experience to write excellent custom tunes based on previous dyno testing. Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I've researched the forums and heard people happy with their custom tune, and happy with their "bought" tunes. I'm trying to decide whether it would be better to go with 1 custom tune (by dyno) or the a tuner (Superchips, Edge, etc) that comes with 2/3 tunes.

Here are some of the decision points:

Custom tune is approximately $100 more expensive and locks me into just one "tune". This tune would need to be multipurpose (performance, but still able to tow)

Custom tune can only be reflashed by the company that tunes it. No returning to stock tune for dealership trips, and have to visit the company if dealership reflashes my computer.

Going with <insert favorite tuner here> gives me a choice of 3 tunes and lets me restore the stock tune.

Custom tune would be designed specifically for my truck, and would be tweaked per dyno results, so I know I'd be getting the most applicable tune for my truck (even if it were dual purpose).

Even though I've got a higher count of pros for the going with the Superchips, I've heard and read that the dyno tunes are worlds apart from the "canned" tunes.

Does anyone have a working knowledge of having tried both, or have any other inputs that would help me decide between the two?

My truck is 4x4 F150 w/ 5.4. AF1 FIPK and Flowmaster 40 series SIDO exhaust with Royal Purple fluids (oil, rear diff, tranny)
Thanks

Tom
I don't thinkyou understand how some of the devices work. The Gryphon comes with 3 canned tunes, but when you load a tune into your truck, you save the stock tune so that you can go back to it any time you need to. Then, you can order up to 3 custom tunes that will replace the canned tunes. You always have your stock tunes.

The Xcal3 works much the same way, other than you do not have the canned tunes to start with. But, again, you have your cusrtom tunes and always keep the stock tune.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
i started with a canned tuner then grew onto custom tunes, custom is the only way to go and well worth the extra $$$ due to trans shiftpoints, firmness etc
Really? So on my Gryphon and Livewire(not that I ever even used the canned SCT tunes) w/ only one custom tune loaded on it the other canned ones are gone? Not my understanding of the set up.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 AM
Would you be able to get a livetune and and use it in the gryphon? along with other custom tunes?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Drkharbinger
Really? So on my Gryphon and Livewire(not that I ever even used the canned SCT tunes) w/ only one custom tune loaded on it the other canned ones are gone? Not my understanding of the set up.

once the programmer is set to custom tuning the "canned" tunes are deleted (at least on my SCT xcal2) and the only thing it saves is the custom tunes and your stock tune

I am not 100% on the exact way the gryphon works but bluejay and groovy chick are the ones to talk to

Last edited by stoffer; 02-23-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Just to further clarify, When you buy a Gryphon, it has 3 canned tunes in it and space for your stock tune. You do not have to replace all the canned tunes if you buy custom tunes. You may replace 1, 2 or all 3. If you only replace 1, with a custom tune, you retain the original 2 remsining canned tunes. I replaced Level 1 and level 3 with custom tunes and retained level 2 for towing.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Then, you can order up to 3 custom tunes that will replace the canned tunes. You always have your stock tunes.

The Xcal3 works much the same way, other than you do not have the canned tunes to start with. But, again, you have your cusrtom tunes and always keep the stock tune.
I do understand that the tuners come with "custom tunes", but was just wondering how an "ordered" custom tune would compare to one written in real time specifically for my truck.

From the sound of it, the dyno tune will always produce the most applicable custom tune and to get the best "multi-tune" setup, I'd need to pay someone to write multiple tunes (tow, perf, etc). Most likely, due to cost restrictions, I'll end up going with a tuner for now.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Global Moderator &

I do understand that the tuners come with "custom tunes", but was just wondering how an "ordered" custom tune would compare to one written in real time specifically for my truck.

From the sound of it, the dyno tune will always produce the most applicable custom tune and to get the best "multi-tune" setup, I'd need to pay someone to write multiple tunes (tow, perf, etc). Most likely, due to cost restrictions, I'll end up going with a tuner for now.
No doubt about it, the dyno tune will result in the best possible tune for your truck, if the one doing the tuning knows his stuff. I just don't have the time nor care to spend the dollars for the dyno tune. If you do, that is the best fit.

On the other hand, I think any of the three tuners usually recommended on this site can get very close with their off the shelf tune. I know I am very happy with mine.

Quick Reply: 1 Custom Tune or Tuner with 3 tunes