Gryphon + CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gryphon + CAI

Alright so I sent my Edge Evolution chip on last week. And over a weeks time I can really tell a difference in my tuck with that edge chip and no chip at all. Its actually quicker and more fun to drive with just a K&N CAI. I know there is something that with a Edge Chip and CAI without a custom tune (which is why i sent it off), they work against each other? So my question is instead of hurting my performance by adding the gryphon can i expect to see better performance by switching from stock to Gryphon. As I stand right now I like the performance of just the CAI. I believe the edge may have been holding my truck back a little. If the gryphon just barely gives you a boost with a CAI over the edge, i think I may have just wasted away $600 on a chip to begin with.

Also I plan on adding headers this summer. Will I have to get another custom tune by the time I get my gryphon back?

Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 95'F-150
Alright so I sent my Edge Evolution chip on last week. And over a weeks time I can really tell a difference in my tuck with that edge chip and no chip at all. Its actually quicker and more fun to drive with just a K&N CAI. I know there is something that with a Edge Chip and CAI without a custom tune (which is why i sent it off), they work against each other? So my question is instead of hurting my performance by adding the gryphon can i expect to see better performance by switching from stock to Gryphon. As I stand right now I like the performance of just the CAI. I believe the edge may have been holding my truck back a little. If the gryphon just barely gives you a boost with a CAI over the edge, i think I may have just wasted away $600 on a chip to begin with.

Also I plan on adding headers this summer. Will I have to get another custom tune by the time I get my gryphon back?
The Edge is not going to take advantage of a CAI as it is for a stock intake, but you should have had substantial improvement with the Edge. Something is not right. Bill will fix it. The Gryphon will help a lot, plus he will program it to use the air available with the CAI.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
The Edge is not going to take advantage of a CAI as it is for a stock intake, but you should have had substantial improvement with the Edge. Something is not right. Bill will fix it. The Gryphon will help a lot, plus he will program it to use the air available with the CAI.
See I never ran the edge by itself. I added the CAI and Chip within a day or two apart. It was almost like the were working against each other. I mean it ran fine but it almost seems like a night and day difference with and without the chip. Which it ran quicker without the chip and CAI only. I just hope the Gryphon will add the horsepower and acceleration that i thought the edge should have added. It was almost like the edge was hhurting my performance than it was helping it. I ran level one for the most part which was the transmission level. I enjoy running CAI only right now, I just hope I can get that thrill plus some when I add the Gryphon instead of being back in the same boat.

I guess I should add that I do have a dual exhaust and 35in tires as well

Old 02-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 95'F-150
See I never ran the edge by itself. I added the CAI and Chip within a day or two apart. It was almost like the were working against each other. I mean it ran fine but it almost seems like a night and day difference with and without the chip. Which it ran quicker without the chip and CAI only. I just hope the Gryphon will add the horsepower and acceleration that i thought the edge should have added. It was almost like the edge was hhurting my performance than it was helping it. I ran level one for the most part which was the transmission level. I enjoy running CAI only right now, I just hope I can get that thrill plus some when I add the Gryphon instead of being back in the same boat.

I guess I should add that I do have a dual exhaust and 35in tires as well
I understood what you meant. There was something wrong with the tunes, had to be. Level 2 and level 3 should have made a big difference. Level 1 does nothing for power. Since you are getting custom tunes, Bill will work with you till it works correctly.

There is no way your PCM, on stock tune can be making the full adjustment to take full advantage of the CAI. A custom tune will do that.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I understood what you meant. There was something wrong with the tunes, had to be. Level 2 and level 3 should have made a big difference. Level 1 does nothing for power. Since you are getting custom tunes, Bill will work with you till it works correctly.

There is no way your PCM, on stock tune can be making the full adjustment to take full advantage of the CAI. A custom tune will do that.
I ran level 3 when i first the tuner because I saw performance and thought wow thats what I need. But it ran better, I guess the correct thing to say is more throttle response, off of level 1. I'm kind of getting excited about getting my gryphon! I sent it in last tuesday, not sure if they got it or not since their website says Bill wont be back till like I think today or yesterday. Not sure how long it takes. But I can't wait. I also cant wait to put headers on one weekend this summer.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Your getting custom tunes for your Gryphon right? You'll notice the difference, trust me.

Keep this in mind though, when you order custom tunes they are written for what mods you have done to the truck. If you go and put some headers on later then your going to need to have your custom tunes re-calibrated. Ask Bill about this, he'll explain it to you.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
Your getting custom tunes for your Gryphon right? You'll notice the difference, trust me.

Keep this in mind though, when you order custom tunes they are written for what mods you have done to the truck. If you go and put some headers on later then your going to need to have your custom tunes re-calibrated. Ask Bill about this, he'll explain it to you.
So wait a second custom tunes would be the only ones that are written for my truck? I only ordered one custom tune, the economy one. Guess I'll have to order the other 2 this summer?

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, the Gryphon comes with three "canned" tunes, meaning they're for a truck with no performance modifications. The custom tunes utilize your mods (cai, exhaust, e-fans, etc.) to maximize the power that your engine actually has.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
If you ordered one custom tune, then I would assume you were asked which tune you wanted repalced in the tuner. Level 1, 2 or 3. When I ordered two custom tunes, I kept Level 2 for towing.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
So I'll most likely want to order the transmission(level 1) once I get the gryphon back. The way I ordered it I think was I left level 1 and 2 alone and ordered the economy tune and replaced the performance "canned" tune. Well crap kinda not what I was expecting. I thought all 3 levels would incorporate the mods you have at the "canned" levels. This programmer is getting to be a pretty expensive little gadget!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I got about 500 in mine. Well worth it though. Custom tunes are 30 or 35 each I believe.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM
I got about 500 in mine. Well worth it though. Custom tunes are 30 or 35 each I believe.
Yea but that was probably buying the gryphon straight out. I bought the edge for 4 somethin and now sending it in to upgrade to a gryphon and now i guess getting custom tunes once i get it back...How longs it typically take? Like I understand Bill is a busy man and gryphons are spreading like wildfire and he has been teaching a class I guess according to their site.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Actually I bought a Edge in Feb of 08. Never installed it. Sent it to Bill 1st week of July and got it back at the end of August. I sent the Edge to him and told him just to keep the whole thing and when the custom tunes are done load them for me then ship it to me. I didn't want to mess around with running canned tunes and then having to update my now Gryphon with the custom tunes. With my luck my computer would do something crazy and screw the whole thing up.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Actually I bought a Edge in Feb of 08. Never installed it. Sent it to Bill 1st week of July and got it back at the end of August. I sent the Edge to him and told him just to keep the whole thing and when the custom tunes are done load them for me then ship it to me. I didn't want to mess around with running canned tunes and then having to update my now Gryphon with the custom tunes. With my luck my computer would do something crazy and screw the whole thing up.
so about 2 months?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:08 AM
i just converted in the middle of october. Re-cased tuner w/ canned tunes was a 1 week turn around. Got the custom tunes in the middle of January (so about a 3 month wait). It just depends on how busy they are when you send it in.

Quick Reply: Gryphon + CAI