No hex code

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No hex code

I searched for a answer but am still confused..
Some of you may know I was having some problems a while ago with my evo. I thought I had it fixed, but today (my second day driving it) I realized it doesn't show me the hex code during startup, goes directly to the main display screen. The first time I ever plugged it in it showd the hex code but said it needed updates. After the updates no more hex code.

I've also noticed it causes some studdering in 3rd gear between 1200 and 2100 rpm between speeds of 25-35. If it drops to od then it does fine. If I excelerate right through the gears it does alright too.

Could the hex code and studdering be related and what do you suggest that I do? I am afraid it isn't working right.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by noblem
I searched for a answer but am still confused..
Some of you may know I was having some problems a while ago with my evo. I thought I had it fixed, but today (my second day driving it) I realized it doesn't show me the hex code during startup, goes directly to the main display screen. The first time I ever plugged it in it showd the hex code but said it needed updates. After the updates no more hex code.

I've also noticed it causes some studdering in 3rd gear between 1200 and 2100 rpm between speeds of 25-35. If it drops to od then it does fine. If I excelerate right through the gears it does alright too.

Could the hex code and studdering be related and what do you suggest that I do? I am afraid it isn't working right.
No, it only displays the HEX before your program it. Once you have it programmed, everytime you start the truck, it has some screen that you can change if you wish, then goes to your displays.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
when your truck is turned off unplug it. Wait about 20 seconds and plug it back in and it will show you your hex code again. I did it this morning.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by OKCIS
when your truck is turned off unplug it. Wait about 20 seconds and plug it back in and it will show you your hex code again. I did it this morning.
I tried this but it didn't show me the hex code. Thats why I was wondering if it was having a problem reading it or somthing?

And does anyone know if the studdering or missing I am experiencing is a little bit normal or a cause for concern?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Try taking the program back to stock once its complete shut the truck off and unplug it. then plug it back in and see if it works if that doesn't work you might have an issue with the unit. I know it should show cause i did it this morning in the parking garage at work so i could email it to Corey at PHP to get my custom tunes.

My truck doesn't studder or miss either ive got it on the canned 87 octane tow tune right now and it runs awesome.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I hate to say it but I did just that. Returned it to 0 and unplugged it and still got no hex code.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Are you turning the key on, then plugging the unit in?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Are you turning the key on, then plugging the unit in?
I've tried it with the key on and off, no results either way. The closest thing I have seen trying that is for a split second I might see the screen that says "make sure key is on, do not start, and wait while initializing"

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
This is off the wall and may not work but its worth a shot. Disconnect the battery and pump the brakes 5 or 6 times that will completely drain the vehicle and reset the ECU. Hook the battery back up start the truck shut it off then go through all your procedures again. Could be enough juice hanging in the ECU to be keeping something open and not allowing the tuner to read properly.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Is it possible to get the code by going into "version info"?

I'm not sure if I ever recall seeing the hex code when I first hooked mine up either.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
To find the hex code:

Originally Posted by beckerjs
from edge manual

Version Info
This displays the current Bootloader, Firmware, and Calibration versions
installed on your Evolution. Your vehicle’s HEX code is also shown. Using
the Fusion® software, you will be able to access online updates to ensure
your Evolution is always up to date.

Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
MAIN MENU
DIAGNOSTICS
TECH SUPPORT
VERSION INFO

(Earlier versions don't have the TECH SUPPORT choice)
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...-firmness.html

Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I'll try disconnecting the battery tonight after work and see what happens.

I was able to find all the information and hex number and other info in the menu, I sent a pm to Bill with that info, I've read on other threads that he is the man to talk to, and hopfully I can get some insight to what might be causing the engine studdering and missing.

Thanks for all your help everyone! I appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
well i disconnected the battery to reset the keep alive memory. it seemed to help right at the start, I took it for test drive. Later that day though it got worse and eventually was having the same problem, mostly just 2nd and 3rd gear between 1200 and 2200 rpm or so it just studders and misses so bad. I just cant put up with it.

I can't figure this out and am so frustrated rightn now. Is there anyone else out there who has had this problem? Is there anything I could do to possibly fix it or am I just out the $300?

Quick Reply: No hex code