Gryphon vs Edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah...looks like I am going to get the Gryohon with a custom performance tune and an economy tune.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Fifty150
The only thing that had me worried was having the unit mounted onto my dash right next to the window. If someone were to smash my window, and steal my programmer, then I be in a bit of a pickle.
I was just thinking about this the other day. I wondered if your Edge or PHP tuner was stolen, if you could call and report the serial number to both companies as stolen? I think I read on here that PHP will recover a locked Edge for a price? That way the stolen serial number is on hand for when the thief calls to get it unlocked. Probably too many variables involved.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mxracer49
I was just thinking about this the other day. I wondered if your Edge or PHP tuner was stolen, if you could call and report the serial number to both companies as stolen? I think I read on here that PHP will recover a locked Edge for a price? That way the stolen serial number is on hand for when the thief calls to get it unlocked. Probably too many variables involved.
I believe they are worthless if the arent set to stock before they are removed. Thats the way they keep custom programs from being installed in several vehicles with one tuner. They can steal it but its worthless.. I doubt they would unlock one either.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont mean to hijack this thread but what kind of warranty do Gryphon tuners have and also if I currently have a cold air intake an exhaust and headers would I see more than a 25 hp increase.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
A stolen programmer is not worthless, but it DOES have to be reset to stock before being used on another vehicle. If you get a Gryphon, PHP recommends you record the serial number with them so that if it accidentally finds it's way into a different truck and that new truck's owner tries to get PHP to reset it, they can tell you where it went.

PHP offers the same warranty on a Gryphon as Edge does on their units. I think it's one year.

If you have a CAI, you probably want a custom tune to get the most out of it, and yes, you typically see more than a 25 Hp increase.

- Jack

Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I really like the gauge. I always wanted one ever since I seen one last summer. The instant economy and average economy really have my interest, and the ability to run 1/4 mile times sounds awesome. $489 with 3 custom tunes though ouch. Could I get like an economy tune and tow tune and leave the 3rd a unchosen option? I dont know a whole lot about tunes but I know that I better look into one for when I get my wheels & tires this month, and to unleash some much needed horsepower and torque.

To answer your question, you can order as many or as few custom tunes as you would like. You can order 1 custom tune and leave the other two settings with the "canned" tunes that the gryphon comes with.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:29 AM
hi guys im very interested on this programmer, but i just haave a doubt, how i do "upload" a new tune to the programmer? usb? how'
thanks

ps. if im planing using nitro or supercharger, this programmer will help me out?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MxkingRanch
hi guys im very interested on this programmer, but i just haave a doubt, how i do "upload" a new tune to the programmer? usb? how'
thanks

ps. if im planing using nitro or supercharger, this programmer will help me out?
Tunes are downloaded from PHP's server by a program you install on your PC called "Pegasus". Pegasus then uploads that tune into your Gryphon via a USB cable.

You definitely want a custom tune if you are doing the nitro thing or are planning to install a blower!

- Jack

Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM
ok, thanks, but for example, a firend of mine has a procharger mustang and he uses diablo programer, another thing called MAFIA something like that, whit this grypphon i wont need nothing of that?

thanks again!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MxkingRanch
ok, thanks, but for example, a firend of mine has a procharger mustang and he uses diablo programer, another thing called MAFIA something like that, whit this grypphon i wont need nothing of that?

thanks again!
Nope, with a Gryphon, all you need is your truck and a PC that connects to the internet.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Gryphon vs Edge