Best tuner/cai combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best tuner/cai combo

Looking to buy these together and then exhaust after, looking for some performance gains and a lot of mpg and also custom tunes

What do yall recommend

Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by valleyfreak45
Looking to buy these together and then exhaust after, looking for some performance gains and a lot of mpg and also custom tunes

What do yall recommend
From my only experience with either one I first went with the K&N Series 57 CAI. And bought an edge Evolution. BUT from my understanding, you'll probably want to get a gryphon (sent mine off tuesday for an exchange). Also from my understanding you'll need to get custom tunes to fit you CAI. When I had my edge and CAI, it seemed like they were working against each other, as now my truck seems peppier without the chip.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The Edge tuner is for stock intakes. You need either an Xcal3 tuned by Troyer or a Gryphon tuned by Power Hungry Performance and any of the intakes. AF1 was considered tops but they are now out of business. K&N seems to have some noise issues on some trucks. You might look at doing the Gotts home made mod. It seems to work well.

I would suggest calling Bill at PHP and Mike at Troyer.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
SCT Xcal3 or diablo....there may be some SV here that program these for you, IDK

Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
You can still purchase AF1 intakes at Troyer Performance, both the 3" and 3 1/2" I just ordered a 3" from them yesterday. Have not received it yet obviuosly, so i cant tell you how it feels, but from what I have gathered from the forums it is a great CAI to go with. Another option is an Airaid. There are many others but these are the two I was debating between prior to buying.

As far as tunes it appears Troyer, VMP or PHP are the best options to go with and you can help narrow this by deciding if you want the SCT X3 offered by VMP and Troyer or the Gryhon offered by PHP (power hungry performance if you want to search them). If you decide you want X3 another consideration is how long you can wait. Suggest calling all of them and see who you feel comfortable with.

I just finished reading a thread that suggested the order to buy is:
1-Exhaust--no tunes needed and it will help move the added air a CAI will add
2 and 3 installed at the same time- CAI and custome tunes.

The thread was more eloborate with explanation, but food for thought. If I find it again I will post a link for you.

Last edited by lawgsxr; 03-03-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Im very happy with my mods. xcal3 with S+B intake custom tuned by 5 star 644.00 5startuning.com

Quick Reply: Best tuner/cai combo