Question about edge programmer

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about edge programmer

As most of you know that own an edge or gryphon programmer you have the ability to advance the timing with the programmer. My question is if you install the tuner using level 2 and have 93 octane gas in the tank what happen's if you advance the timing +3 degree's to compensate for the higher octane fuel? I run chevron gas in my truck and their premium fuel has a 93 octane rating so when I upload level 3 I alway's bump the timing up 1.5 degree's. If the timing is increased on level 2 or even level 1 to run with 93 octane gas does that automatically change the tuning to be similar to what level 3 would make power wise? I know that level 2 is a towing tune and generally produce's more power at lower rpm's and level 3 produces more power at higher rpm's than level 2. So if you upload level 2 and bump the timing up for 93 octane gas does that make the level 2 tune just produce even more lowend power with an improvement in the higher rpm's or does the performance gain's still mostly stay in the lower rpm's? No I haven't tried this but I have thought about it alot.

Last edited by 2004Triton5.4; 03-03-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
First, you are supposed to increase .5 per each octane, so I would bump level 2 timimg only 3 or 3.5. Next, there are a lot more things going on than just timing. Yes. I think you will get maybe a little better performance out of Level 2 on 93, but not a drastic difference. I don't think it will hurt at all if you have a tank of 93 and want to switch to tow something. Bump the timing and go, but I would not run it all the time that way. I just don't think it will give you that much benefit since it's tuned for 87.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
First, you are supposed to increase .5 per each octane, so I would bump level 2 timimg only 3 or 3.5. Next, there are a lot more things going on than just timing. Yes. I think you will get maybe a little better performance out of Level 2 on 93, but not a drastic difference. I don't think it will hurt at all if you have a tank of 93 and want to switch to tow something. Bump the timing and go, but I would not run it all the time that way. I just don't think it will give you that much benefit since it's tuned for 87.
Ahh hell I done my math wrong. I corrected the post. I know their is more to the tuning than just a timing change. I was just wondering about any possible power increases.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4
Ahh hell I done my math wrong. I corrected the post. I know their is more to the tuning than just a timing change. I was just wondering about any possible power increases.
That's all right, the Edge manual does the math wrong too. However, advancing timing 0.5 degrees is "safe" for running a tune with fuel that is a higher octane. Bill Cohron points out, however, that you MAY be able to increase the timing even more on some engines. He has said you can advance it till you start to hear a "ping", then reduce it one full degree from that setting. He observes that due to manufacturing tolerances, no two engines will be alike and you can advance timing more in some than others (even if they are otherwise identical).

As Bluejay said though, other things besides timing change on a higher octane tune. That said, there is no reason you could not tow with 93 octane gas. I'd just get a custom 93 octane tow tune so you get the full benefit.

- Jack

Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
That's all right, the Edge manual does the math wrong too. However, advancing timing 0.5 degrees is "safe" for running a tune with fuel that is a higher octane. Bill Cohron points out, however, that you MAY be able to increase the timing even more on some engines. He has said you can advance it till you start to hear a "ping", then reduce it one full degree from that setting. He observes that due to manufacturing tolerances, no two engines will be alike and you can advance timing more in some than others (even if they are otherwise identical).

As Bluejay said though, other things besides timing change on a higher octane tune. That said, there is no reason you could not tow with 93 octane gas. I'd just get a custom 93 octane tow tune so you get the full benefit.

- Jack
Thanks Jack!

Quick Reply: Question about edge programmer