Sct xcal ii

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sct xcal ii

Alright, first off, Im completely aware that a "simple search" may answer this question, however, I am not interested in spending hours searching through this poorly designed forum in order to find the specifics I am inquiring about. That being said, if you don't agree with my MO, move on because I probably won't enjoy your answer anyway...

I have a 2003 SCREW 5.4 FX4. I found an SCT XCAL II Flash Tool on craigslist. It is to my understanding that this "tuner" is applicable with many 96-05 ford vehicles including my truck. The guy selling it had it on his 04 mustang GT.

Question 1:
Is this as simple as plug and play. Or would it require installation of custom tunes since it was previously used on a mustang?

Question 2:
If this requires reprogramming for my truck and my specific needs, about how much does this cost and is it something that can be performed locally or should it be sent to someone like Troyer?

Thanks to those who still care to help a guy out!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
First thing is to make sure the previous owner returned his old car back to stock prior to selling and also make sure the tuner is unlocked.

It is not a simple plug and play device. It will have to be reprogrammed for your truck because the Xcal II comes with no generic tunes, strictly custom tunes that are specific written for the vehicle. The tunes that are on it right now were written for the previous owner's Mustang. You can send it in to either Mike at Troyer Performance or Justin at VMP and they can custom tune it for you.

My recommendation though is depending on how much the guy is asking, pass on the used Xcal II and simply purchase a new Xcal II/III or Livewire. Unless the guy is selling the thing for dirt cheap it simply isn't worth it because by the time you throw in the cost of tunes then you're probably close to the cost of a new one anyways.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I agree with wxscpo.Also the newer x3 has twice the memery than the x2

Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
as stated above MAKE SURE THE MUSTANG IS RETURNED TO STOCK BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

he can get email tunes from Troyer, VMP or PHP

he only has to get one tune it'll be cheaper that way VS 3 custom tunes

Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
as stated above MAKE SURE THE MUSTANG IS RETURNED TO STOCK BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

he can get email tunes from Troyer, VMP or PHP

he only has to get one tune it'll be cheaper that way VS 3 custom tunes
He is selling it for 150. If he still has it. Thanks for the info.

They can e-mail tunes? I just update it from my computer? That is nifty. I may have to give troyer a call. I'm not trying to make my truck a street rod or anything, just a couple simple tunes would do me. 87 performance, maybe a towing....

Ill definitely check into it. Thanks yall

Quick Reply: Sct xcal ii