Gryphon programmer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gryphon programmer

Got my Gryphon today

Installed in less than 5 minutes...although I do have to figure out some other way to mount the pod...the tape provided doesn't stick very well (yes I did use Windex and alcohol swabs to remove any oils or greases on the dash first).

Anyway, I loaded up the level 2 canned tune (87 towing) and instantly noticed a difference when I started the truck. The exhaust had a slightly different sound to it and I noticed the idle quickly came down to 700 rpm and stayed there. Before, it would gradually come down and fluctuate between about 550-800rpm.

Took it for a drive and there isn't a HUGE difference, but it certainly is noticeable. I'm honestly not interested in spinning the tires at every stop light or going 100 mph, but the truck does seem to pull a bit harder in every gear -- which is EXACTLY what I wanted!!

I'm about to email Corey with my hex code so that Bill can get started on my custom tunes...from what I've heard around here I can probably expect to have them by next year some time

I can't wait to see what Bill can do.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
My truck is a newer version than yours, of course, but the first thing I noticed was the downshift to pass lag was gone. And then I was happy to find I could adjust shift points, top speed, and so on.

I'm unhappy that the pod doesn't anchor well to your dash though. Looks like the early models had some "bugs". There was a post I remember a while back where one of our members had fabricated an aluminum mount for his programmer. It looked good. I don't recall the model year it was for, but maybe it was for your style. I think he was even willing to provide these for a very nominal fee if people wanted one. You might try a search on "Edge mount" (using the quotes) or something similar.

- Jack

Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
My truck is a newer version than yours, of course, but the first thing I noticed was the downshift to pass lag was gone. And then I was happy to find I could adjust shift points, top speed, and so on.

I'm unhappy that the pod doesn't anchor well to your dash though. Looks like the early models had some "bugs". There was a post I remember a while back where one of our members had fabricated an aluminum mount for his programmer. It looked good. I don't recall the model year it was for, but maybe it was for your style. I think he was even willing to provide these for a very nominal fee if people wanted one. You might try a search on "Edge mount" (using the quotes) or something similar.

- Jack
Thanks I'll do the search and see what I can find. When I can get it to stick, it looks great. The tape sometimes comes off though and it slides forward off the dash (toward me).

My truck is a manual, so the programmer does nothing for shift firmness, but like I said the engine definitely does have a bit more performance than stock. I seem to have gotten back the torque I lost from the intake and exhaust (AEM Brute Force and Flowmaster Force II) and then some, so I'm happy. Waiting on the custom tunes now and I'm hoping that they'll be even better.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfam198
Got my Gryphon today

Installed in less than 5 minutes...although I do have to figure out some other way to mount the pod...the tape provided doesn't stick very well (yes I did use Windex and alcohol swabs to remove any oils or greases on the dash first).

Anyway, I loaded up the level 2 canned tune (87 towing) and instantly noticed a difference when I started the truck. The exhaust had a slightly different sound to it and I noticed the idle quickly came down to 700 rpm and stayed there. Before, it would gradually come down and fluctuate between about 550-800rpm.

Took it for a drive and there isn't a HUGE difference, but it certainly is noticeable. I'm honestly not interested in spinning the tires at every stop light or going 100 mph, but the truck does seem to pull a bit harder in every gear -- which is EXACTLY what I wanted!!

I'm about to email Corey with my hex code so that Bill can get started on my custom tunes...from what I've heard around here I can probably expect to have them by next year some time

I can't wait to see what Bill can do.
2010... 2010... 2010... Is everyone chanting with me?

I'm not sure what to tell you about the tape strips that come from Edge... I'm assuming you have a '97-'03? There are metal clips with tape tabs on the '04-'08, but from what I've read, nobody really uses them because the unit stays in place really well without them. Can anyone with this pod offer some advice? I haven't had this issue come across my desk before.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Eh, its not really a big deal. The awesomeness of the programmer more than makes up for the fact that the pod doesn't stick. I want to find some other way to mount it besides tape anyway. Between the heat and the humidity here in the summer every single accessory I've had that mounts with tape falls off the dash at some point.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
oh by the way, yes it is a 97-03 pod.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the new programmer, enjoy!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sfam198
Eh, its not really a big deal. The awesomeness of the programmer more than makes up for the fact that the pod doesn't stick. I want to find some other way to mount it besides tape anyway. Between the heat and the humidity here in the summer every single accessory I've had that mounts with tape falls off the dash at some point.
Interesting you have that problem there. I found some double stick trim tape here that really holds well in our heat. The brand is Manco 200 Mounting Tape. I've also bought a roll of 3M Super Strength Molding Tape that looks like it might be close to the OEM tape used on trim strips.

Failing all that, you might try velcro. I've found the sticky back industrial strength Velcro brand tape from Home Depot works quite well too.

- Jack

Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 AM
well i got a bit more 3m double sided tape that was in the garage and mounted it up again. i pressed on it pretty hard, enough that i was rocking the truck back and forth, so we'll see how that holds up. so far it hasn't fallen off.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Yep, Those little pieces of double sided tape didnt stand a chance. I had a couple strips of velcro laying around, and it works like a champ. The adhesive on the velcro strips is 10x stronger than the double sided tape.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Anyone have pics of one of these mounted in a 97-03? Ive searched before and nothing really came up

Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Are any of you running the gryphon with a CAI? I still have yet to feel the maximum performance from using the gryphon and CAI. It still seems the CAI not only beats the combo in performance but in MPG as well. I did a little test on the highway. Maybe a 3 mile run. Going down the highway I ran it on level 1 and got 13 mpg and performance lacked. On the way back I returned it to stock where the CAI was only functional and got 13.5 mpg and performance was better than running a combo of both. Now the mpg thing was just according to the gryphon mpg thing on the pod. and yes I did reset it after I returned it back to stock (CAI only). This thing just puzzels the crap out of me. I emailed Corey about it and she says I have the custom tunes already on there. But I only see level 1-3. I ran the performance tune early today and in town it is better than the level 1 (which I had the most success with the level 1 tune with the edge). But it still seemed either on par or a little under par with the CAI alone. Has anyone else had this trouble? Or does anyone have a solution? I'm at my witts end. Throwing more money toward a problem doesnt always fix it, but I'm to the point where I don't really want to spend anymore money on this chip. I could have had my headers and new muffler bought and installed with the amount I've spent on an edge/gryphon and still havent had any success.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 95'F-150
Are any of you running the gryphon with a CAI? I still have yet to feel the maximum performance from using the gryphon and CAI. It still seems the CAI not only beats the combo in performance but in MPG as well. I did a little test on the highway. Maybe a 3 mile run. Going down the highway I ran it on level 1 and got 13 mpg and performance lacked. On the way back I returned it to stock where the CAI was only functional and got 13.5 mpg and performance was better than running a combo of both. Now the mpg thing was just according to the gryphon mpg thing on the pod. and yes I did reset it after I returned it back to stock (CAI only). This thing just puzzels the crap out of me. I emailed Corey about it and she says I have the custom tunes already on there. But I only see level 1-3. I ran the performance tune early today and in town it is better than the level 1 (which I had the most success with the level 1 tune with the edge). But it still seemed either on par or a little under par with the CAI alone. Has anyone else had this trouble? Or does anyone have a solution? I'm at my witts end. Throwing more money toward a problem doesnt always fix it, but I'm to the point where I don't really want to spend anymore money on this chip. I could have had my headers and new muffler bought and installed with the amount I've spent on an edge/gryphon and still havent had any success.
The first thing that needs to be answered is where are your custom tunes. You have to know which tune is at what level.
On the Edge canned tunes, level one is just a shift tune. basically your stock tune that has improved shifting. Level 2 is a tow tune and level 3 is a performance tune that requires premium fuel. There are only 4 "slots" for tunes, so if you got custom tunes, they had to replace one or more of the canned tunes. So what custom tunes did you buy and what did they replace? In other words, what number are they on your tuner?

For instance, I bought an 87 Perf tune and a 93 Perf tune. I kept the canned tow tune(Level2). Bill moved the canned tow tune over to position 1 and placed the 87 Perf in position 2 and the 93 Perf in position 3. You need to know what you have and where it is located.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
The first thing that needs to be answered is where are your custom tunes. You have to know which tune is at what level.
On the Edge canned tunes, level one is just a shift tune. basically your stock tune that has improved shifting. Level 2 is a tow tune and level 3 is a performance tune that requires premium fuel. There are only 4 "slots" for tunes, so if you got custom tunes, they had to replace one or more of the canned tunes. So what custom tunes did you buy and what did they replace? In other words, what number are they on your tuner?

For instance, I bought an 87 Perf tune and a 93 Perf tune. I kept the canned tow tune(Level2). Bill moved the canned tow tune over to position 1 and placed the 87 Perf in position 2 and the 93 Perf in position 3. You need to know what you have and where it is located.
See i think thats the problem. I could have swore I only bought a custom economy tune but my bill says I bought 2 of them. I only have the canned "slots" I have level 1-3 just like how it was on my edge. BUT Corey said Bill held my edge longer than normal and went ahead and put the custom tunes on there. I sent here an e-mail but I understand they are closed today thru monday so I don't expect an answer till monday. Idk if I just expected too much or if i fell in love with the CAI while I had no programmer. I don't remember exactly what tunes I got but If I did infact buy 2 of them like my bill says then it would have been the level 1 and the economy.Because like I said I strictly ran level 1 after test all 3 with the edge. I just dont understand if I do have custom tunes why shouldn't it be what I gained with a CAI PLUS what I'd gain with a chip. I'm almost on the edge of selling my chip and running my CAI with headers (coming this summer). I just thought I'd gain from having both not just one or the other. I mean I went to send my hex code to Corey and like I said she replied with Bill already installed my custom tunes. I don't see any in the 3 slots though. The little run I had this morning running about 30 mph thru town hitting 1 stop light I averaged 15 and some change mpg. And performace was pretty decent but it didnt seem like a whole lot granting I do have a CAI

Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 95'F-150
See i think thats the problem. I could have swore I only bought a custom economy tune but my bill says I bought 2 of them. I only have the canned "slots" I have level 1-3 just like how it was on my edge. BUT Corey said Bill held my edge longer than normal and went ahead and put the custom tunes on there. I sent here an e-mail but I understand they are closed today thru monday so I don't expect an answer till monday. Idk if I just expected too much or if i fell in love with the CAI while I had no programmer. I don't remember exactly what tunes I got but If I did infact buy 2 of them like my bill says then it would have been the level 1 and the economy.Because like I said I strictly ran level 1 after test all 3 with the edge. I just dont understand if I do have custom tunes why shouldn't it be what I gained with a CAI PLUS what I'd gain with a chip. I'm almost on the edge of selling my chip and running my CAI with headers (coming this summer). I just thought I'd gain from having both not just one or the other. I mean I went to send my hex code to Corey and like I said she replied with Bill already installed my custom tunes. I don't see any in the 3 slots though. The little run I had this morning running about 30 mph thru town hitting 1 stop light I averaged 15 and some change mpg. And performace was pretty decent but it didnt seem like a whole lot granting I do have a CAI
You are not hearing what I am saying. It will still say 0,1, 2 and 3, just like before even if it has custom tunes on it. You have to get Bill to tell you where he put them and what canned tune is still remaining and what number it is. Regardless of what he loaded on, it will still say 0,1,2,and 3.

Quick Reply: Gryphon programmer