Dumb questions....so be nice! I'm new.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb questions....so be nice! I'm new.

I have an '08 F150 FX2 Supercrew. I've been reading about this Edge Evolution programmer and was curious......(1)Will I truely enjoy the gains, if so, why are so many selling there's? (2)Where exactly is the OBD II port that The Edge hooks up to, and where is it in relation to where I will be plugging the brake controller (just how many unconnected ports are there under the dash to play with)? (3)Just how easy is the installation....Do I have to remove a section of the dash? (4)How is the wire routed? (5)If I install this, would my Ford Service Dept have a problem (it's under warranty - 18,000 miles on odometer)?
I just need someone to explain this better for me. Pictures would be great. Thx

Last edited by effextwo; 03-18-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I just got an edge evo with php gryphon tunes and I love it, the gains are well worth the $$$. now for the answersd. 1. yes you will enjoy it as for people selling them? ask them, 2.The OBD is under the dash almost in front of your right knee, left of the brake controller hook up. 3. Bill at PHP did my installation but it looks like everybody here is doing it themselves so it shoudn't be that hard, follow the directions on the manual. 4. follow the directions on the manual. 5. If you would take it to the dealer for service with it on it would void your warranty, the best thing to do is to program it back to stock, take it off than take it to the dealer. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The install is a breeze. Pop off the side panel of the dash, feed the Gryphon cable up to the dash, tuck it in the corner and put the pod right in the spot it belongs, requires no hardware installation, clicks right in place, feed the cable and plug it into the Gryphon then plug the other end to the OBDII port, re-install the side panel and program.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. This is great. I just thought I order the device, receive it in the mail & then program it according to the directions. How do you order it "with php gryphon tunes"? Do I request that when I order it? Are those tunes conducive to the '08 F150?.....And what the heck are php gryphon tunes. Are there other tunes? Thanks

Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM
You gotta visit powerhouseperformance.com and email them or call them, they will guide you through the process. Other tunes are from Troyer performanvce and VMP, before I bought the php gryphon it I did a lot of search and decided to whit the gryphon because it goes on the dash alowing the driver to monitor up to 4 engine parameters. Take your time and do your search as well as a lot of reading.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jerzpilot
You gotta visit powerhouseperformance.com and email them or call them, they will guide you through the process. Other tunes are from Troyer performanvce and VMP, before I bought the php gryphon it I did a lot of search and decided to whit the gryphon because it goes on the dash alowing the driver to monitor up to 4 engine parameters. Take your time and do your search as well as a lot of reading.
correction! It's www.powerhungryperformance.com

Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jerzpilot
powerhouseperformance.com

Is that a link to gay ****?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Does the Evolution need to be disconnected and returned to stock settings at smog check time?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by effextwo
Does the Evolution need to be disconnected and returned to stock settings at smog check time?
Yes, it probably has to be disconnected, since the smog testers generally plug their stuff into the OBDII port too. But, if you can pull a light cord plug out of a wall socket, you can do this task, it's the same level of difficulty.

There is NO need to return your truck to a stock tune before having it smog checked. In fact, doing so may make the PCM show a code that will cause it to fail. Many members have simply left their tune in the PCM during testing and they passed just fine. I have not heard of a single failure in a test with the tune left in.

DO return the tune to stock and remove the Edge/Gryphon before taking your truck to a dealer though. If they reflash your PCM, it needs to be at a stock setting.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 03-20-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added note about returning to stock before going to a dealer
Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Is that a link to gay ****?
my mistake, it can happen to anybody, however if that's the kind of search you are looking for you have the wrong site. Good luck on your search

Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Yes, it probably has to be disconnected, since the smog testers generally plug their stuff into the OBDII port too. But, if you can pull a light cord plug out of a wall socket, you can do this task, it's the same level of difficulty.

There is NO need to return your truck to a stock tune before having it smog checked. In fact, doing so may make the PCM show a code that will cause it to fail. Many members have simply left their tune in the PCM during testing and they passed just fine. I have not heard of a single failure in a test with the tune left in.

DO return the tune to stock and remove the Edge/Gryphon before taking your truck to a dealer though. If they reflash your PCM, it needs to be at a stock setting.

- Jack
Appreciate the input, Jack...

Quick Reply: Dumb questions....so be nice! I'm new.