what should i get first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should i get first?

I posted a thread a few days ago in the exhaust section bout what kind of headers i should get. Im wondering if it is better to get the headers first, or get a gryphon programmer first, or does it matter? I appreciate all replies.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are going to modify the vehicle get the tuner last. Be sure to let your tuner know what mods you plan on adding so he can account for the changes in the tune. When I say last I don't mean to wait six months to get the tuner. Ideally you should get the tuner at the same time you get the mods.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You have an 05 which is known to be on the lean side to start with. Any change of exhaust before the cats and any CAI should be done in conjuction with custom tunes, to be totally safe.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also realize that custom tuning will take about 4 - 6 weeks to be filed until you can receive the tune file and program your truck, so I wouldn't install the headers or a CAI until you have the Gryphon tuned and updated with the custom filed tne ready to install. So in general, buy your parts, then send for the gryphon, wait for the tune to be filed and transfered, then install everything with the programmer being last.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
You have an 05 which is known to be on the lean side to start with. Any change of exhaust before the cats and any CAI should be done in conjuction with custom tunes, to be totally safe.
Where did you get that info? Exhaust flow changes VE, the only VE tables used for fueling are the LWFM tables. And those tables are used during tip-in/tip-out depending on what the PCM is using transients tables or LWFM tables. There wouldn't be a problem, but i still suggest a tuner first as it has a LOT more to offer.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Where did you get that info? Exhaust flow changes VE, the only VE tables used for fueling are the LWFM tables. And those tables are used during tip-in/tip-out depending on what the PCM is using transients tables or LWFM tables. There wouldn't be a problem, but i still suggest a tuner first as it has a LOT more to offer.
What about the O2's transient delay with the headers?

OP, get the tuner first and get a tune for stock and a tune for the mods.