Question about switching tunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about switching tunes

Just curious if anyone has had any issues arise from switching back and forth from performance to towing tunes? I got my tunes from VMP over the winter and aside from testing the towing tune twice I have kept the truck on the performance tune (love that tune). Now that summer is here I will be towing my boat at least every other weekend and will be switching back and forth from performance to the towing tune. I have never heard of any issues from frequent switching but just wanted some feedback from people who regularly switch to fit their needs.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by NVERL8
Just curious if anyone has had any issues arise from switching back and forth from performance to towing tunes? I got my tunes from VMP over the winter and aside from testing the towing tune twice I have kept the truck on the performance tune (love that tune). Now that summer is here I will be towing my boat at least every other weekend and will be switching back and forth from performance to the towing tune. I have never heard of any issues from frequent switching but just wanted some feedback from people who regularly switch to fit their needs.
I switch mine back and forth all the time and never had any issues, it wont hurt a thing

Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Cool, just checking.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
when you load a new tune, does the PCM have to re-learn your driving habits?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shorse
Not as I understand it, shorse. I too, switch back and forth between tow and non-tow tunes. I've never felt the truck acting like it's not "settled" in and, I don't get any PCM codes.

- Jack

Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 AM
I'd like to add something in regards to switching tunes since i am in the market for a tuner.

I know the procedure for reflashing the PCM with an Xcal. Usually takes a minute or two (at least it does for my Ford Focus). How about the Gryphon?

One of the cool features is the 'switch-on-the-fly' tuning which intrigues me. How quickly can the Gryphon reflash the computer? I love the fact that it has diagnostic monitor capability, and if it could reflash from a performance to tow tune quickly, that would seal the deal for me.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BOWERSdaAZIAN
I'd like to add something in regards to switching tunes since i am in the market for a tuner.

I know the procedure for reflashing the PCM with an Xcal. Usually takes a minute or two (at least it does for my Ford Focus). How about the Gryphon?

One of the cool features is the 'switch-on-the-fly' tuning which intrigues me. How quickly can the Gryphon reflash the computer? I love the fact that it has diagnostic monitor capability, and if it could reflash from a performance to tow tune quickly, that would seal the deal for me.
Switch on the fly normally means switch as you are driving, like a diesel. As far as I know, you can't do that with any tuner and a gas engine. Tell me if I'm wrong. I can reprogram my Gryphon in about 30 seconds, but I have to be stopped with the engine off.

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 AM
eh, i knew it sounded too good. I was under the impression it could be switched with the engine running (albeit stopped and in park). But 30 seconds is also a pretty quick flash. As i said, with my focus, it takes about 1 minute to flash and another 30 seconds to verify the tune. Maybe im just impatient

Old 04-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Switch on the fly normally means switch as you are driving, like a diesel. As far as I know, you can't do that with any tuner and a gas engine. Tell me if I'm wrong. I can reprogram my Gryphon in about 30 seconds, but I have to be stopped with the engine off.
Do you not disconnect the battery to clear the KAM with your tuner?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I so seldom switch mine it's just not a factor. I could not do without my Gryphon.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shorse
Yes it does. It is called adaptive strategy and may take several drive cycles to readjust. The person writing the tune can adjust the amount of adaptive in a tune to allow more or less relearning.

Quick Reply: Question about switching tunes