Edge Evo + My Gas Mileage Stats

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evo + My Gas Mileage Stats

Just wanted to put this out there about an experiment I did with the Edge Evo and my gas mileage and settings. I have ran the tow tune for two weeks running low octane with an average gas mileage of 15. And I ran two weeks on the performance tune with an average gas mileage of 17. And to be fair to both settings I drove my truck in the same area/route. I was able to do this because I was in the process of breaking in my new gears. So I put the numbers down in excel and I figured it cost me an additional 0.80 cents to run the higher octane in the performance tune which I gained an additional 50 miles out of the 25 gal. tank. My numbers were $1.98 for low octance $2.28 for high octane.

I used the Edge Evo to compute my average gas mileage. I did not check it against the mileage or consumption. So the accuracy of the test may vary when actual mileage vs consumption is calculated. I plan on performing this test in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone ran the consumption vs mileage test? What results did you get?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Way back when I first got my Edge, about 52,000 miles ago, I did the same comparison. I found that I got about 11% better mileage on level 3, driving it like a scalded ape, than I did on level 2. It paid for the difference in cost of gas and matched my driving needs much better. I used level 3 more nearly all of 31,000 miles before getting custom tunes. I now have an 87 Performance tune that performs better than level 3 and I save the difference in the price of gas.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
That is exactly what I did, 87 performance tune. Cannot wait to receive them.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using my PHP Gryphon, I get 14 around town and 16+ highway. On our vacation trip to Florida the truck has achieved a record 19.3 MPG while driving 55 along a 20 mile flat stretch of state road. All of these figures are on the level 2 canned tune that comes with the Gryphon.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've noticed a .5 - 1mpg increase on my average commutes with level 3 93 octane. Looking forward to receiving the 87 performance tune.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:58 PM
I've noticed a 2+ mpg gain in in-town driving on the canned level 3 tune on my Edge with 93 octane and the timing advanced 1.25.

I was getting a hand calculated 11.7-11.9 (driving like a grandpa) every single tank I ever measured that was pure in-town when I was stock.

The first tank with my the Edge on level 3 got 13.8 pure in-town, and that was with me driving like a maniac!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I've noticed a 2+ mpg gain in in-town driving on the canned level 3 tune on my Edge with 93 octane and the timing advanced 1.25.

I was getting a hand calculated 11.7-11.9 (driving like a grandpa) every single tank I ever measured that was pure in-town when I was stock.

The first tank with my the Edge on level 3 got 13.8 pure in-town, and that was with me driving like a maniac!
It's difficult to NOT drive like a maniac when you feel the difference!

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
It's difficult to NOT drive like a maniac when you feel the difference!
You're not kidding. I've had it about a week, sort of an impulse buy in Panama City while I was on Spring Break...got it for $175 from some poor soul off Craigslist down there!

I was skeptical, having had a 6.0L Powerstroke with SCT Custom Tunes, and while the low-end on the my Screw will never touch that, the canned level 3 tune has really impressed me with the top-end. 60-80 mph I feel like my Screw would keep up with my Stroke, if not beat it!

Now for a CAI, high-flow cats, and a custom tune...

Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
You're not kidding. I've had it about a week, sort of an impulse buy in Panama City while I was on Spring Break...got it for $175 from some poor soul off Craigslist down there!

I was skeptical, having had a 6.0L Powerstroke with SCT Custom Tunes, and while the low-end on the my Screw will never touch that, the canned level 3 tune has really impressed me with the top-end. 60-80 mph I feel like my Screw would keep up with my Stroke, if not beat it!

Now for a CAI, high-flow cats, and a custom tune...
Just wait till you get the custom tunes. You get a little more power, but the downshifting is greatly improved. You can actually run an 87 Perf tune and be happy with it, where on the canned, you ran the level 3.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I just took a trip to Maryland which is about a 5 1/2 hour drive one way. I had my Evo set on level two and running 87 octane. I got about 18 mpg on the way down and about 16.25 on the way home. I noticed that the Edge readout and my Truck readout where about 1 to 1.5 MPG off from each other (Edge was lower). When I did the actual calculation my number was right in between the two.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 AM
just got an edge evo and on level 2 with 97 the edge ave mpg says 14.5- 15 mpg the actual is 13.9 could this be due to a short duration af accumulated average? or could i have it set wrong? i used the 2792mm number they give you in the manual for 35" tires. i was hoping for a spot on calc from the edge. ideas?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdbaggr
just got an edge evo and on level 2 with 97 the edge ave mpg says 14.5- 15 mpg the actual is 13.9 could this be due to a short duration af accumulated average? or could i have it set wrong? i used the 2792mm number they give you in the manual for 35" tires. i was hoping for a spot on calc from the edge. ideas?
They will never read identical and will always be different than the real MPG (miles/gallons).

To verify the speedo (tire circumference), use a GPS or mile markers.

Quick Reply: Edge Evo + My Gas Mileage Stats