Looking for a programmer/tuner for 4.6l

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a programmer/tuner for 4.6l

Hey guys I need some serious help. I'm new to this whole new world of computer programmers or tuners that can increase power/acceleration/mpg for our fords. I have a 2008 STX 4wd with the 4.6l v8 and I was wondering what would be the best programmer for my truck. My main concerns are def. performance gains but I also don't want to do anything to harm the reliability of my truck or ruin the warranty. Is there a programmer I should buy and if so which is the best? Let me know guys!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Id suggest maybe talking to Bill or Corey at PHP. I got a Gryphon from them (waiting on custon tunes), and I think its probably the best programmer on the market. Check them out at www.phptunes.com

Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Oh damn I just noticed you where from Morgantown. Been up there a few times for football games. In case you dont know my little town is in the SW part of WV. GO EERS

Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't know if its the best or not because I have nothing to compare to but I chose the Superchips Cortex for my 08 F150 XLT Supercrew.. I chose the Cortex because I was afraid of voiding my warranty.. I'm told this wont but Superchip givs me a two year powertrain warranty "Just incase" there might be better ones out there but the warranty superchips includes gave me some piece of mind.

http://www.superchips.com/products.p...+%26+Excursion

Last edited by FuzzzMan; 03-29-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Well my warranty was up anyways, but if Im not mstaken Gryphon will not void it.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
yeah man live right next to the stadium...dub vee baby! Will I actually see a performance increase from the programmer tho? And do I just need to buy the programmer or is there other things I need to do to use one?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah you will see a performance gain. If you got any kind of mods like CAI you will need custom tunes, I actually suggest at least 87 performance even if your truck is completely stock. When you get the Gryphon it will come with three "canned" tunes.
1. Tranny only
2. 87 tow
3. 91 performance

As I said you can buy up to three custom tunes to replace any/all of the canned ones. If you have a stock truck, from what Ive read the most common thing is replacing the tranny only tune with an 87 performance one. If you get custom tunes made you will be notified when they are done and you can dowload them from your pc using there program called Pegasus. You also use that program to update the Gryphon if need be. Custon tunes do take a little while to get, mainly because Bill writes them each indvually according to YOUR driving style, needs, elavation, etc. Im still waiting on mine, but everything Ive seen they are well worth the wait.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 PM
The only upgrades I have are a flowmaster super 40 series si/do exhuast and just a high-performance air filter. Will I need special tunes for these upgrades? Also how long did it take to get your gryphon once you ordered it?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM
As long as it is not a true dual you will be fine. You should also be ok with the filter. Your beat bet is to get there number and call them, they will be able to let you know 100% what you need. But dont worry they will not try to sell you anything you dont need. I called and talked to them when I was going to order mine and they suggested I only get the 87 performance tune. They could of easily told me other ones just to make more money, but they didnt. I got mine in about 3-4 business days.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
yeah man sounds good I'll give them a call sometime. But in all honesty...was it really worth the money. I mean did you see actual performance gains without causing any problems for your truck?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The PHP Gryphon programmer. Great performance results and a very informative pod dock.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 PM
IMHO it is well worth the money. Even with just the canned tunes its like driving a totally different truck. Shifts are so much smoother, accelarates so much better, and the truck doesnt feel as "tight" anymore when driving it. If the canned tunes are this good I cant wait to see what custom ones is going to do for my truck.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Theres actually a Gryphon in the classifieds right now if you wanna save some money. Be warned though, warranty does not carry over from original owner. Im not sure if theres anything else you might need to do. If you buy this one I would call PHP first and ask them what all you might need/want to do.

Quick Reply: Looking for a programmer/tuner for 4.6l