Asking for refund now. It has been since early April

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jrfonte
it cant be that hard how else do the canned tunes you get work on all trucks not just one specific one with a certain hex code?
You have another good point and after i.rides.suzuki's comment about HEX codes. How dependendent are custom tunes on HEX codes or is it just a farce?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The canned tunes don't get anywhere near the performance of the custom tunes from a good tuner. Mike is an excellent tuner but he seems to continually take on more work then he can handle. This is going to catch up with him and bite him on the behind. It has already in some cases. Anyone that knows him and has been to his shop and sees what he does daily can attest to the fact that he is the best on these trucks but he bites off more than he can chew sometimes. He is very thorough, some would say ****. This can slow him down.
VMP is quicker so if waiting is killing you there are a few other choices.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
I ordered, received and installed my VMP tunes from Justin all within 7 days...

Great service and great tunes!

Waiting for months is RIDICULOUS......

Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I just ordered mine yesterday, let let the countdown begin.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Even though I have been waiting a long time I do not regret going with Troyer.Did anyone think the reason Mike is so swamped is that he has a great product people are willing to wait for. Also if someone else can get your tunes out in a week, I dont think I would feel comfortable knowing they may not have customized to my truck, not just another file that might be similar to mine.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jtrombly
Even though I have been waiting a long time I do not regret going with Troyer.Did anyone think the reason Mike is so swamped is that he has a great product people are willing to wait for. Also if someone else can get your tunes out in a week, I dont think I would feel comfortable knowing they may not have customized to my truck, not just another file that might be similar to mine.
I talked with Justin @ VMP extensively before placing my order with him. We talked about what I wanted in terms of throttle response, shifting characteristics, intake systems, exhaust systems, etc. and the paper that came with my Xcal3 listed the 3 different custom tunes I ordered as well as all of my trucks information (HEX code, engine, gears, tire size, S&B intake, Banks 3" exhaust, etc.). I came very close to going with Troyer but decided not to based on the opinions of those that had issues after the sale and of course the wait time. I hate paying for something and then waiting on it forever (in this case 3+ months). VMP also provides a 3 year warranty on the Xcal3 as well as 6 months of custom tuning at no charge in case you were to purchase something that requires a new tune to be made. Like I said I'm not saying anything bad about Troyer because I have no first hand experience with him. I made my decision based off the information I have read on f150online.com and I have been very happy with my purchase.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Seeing as how *somebody who won't be named* bumps you up to the top of the list as soon as you complain about a wait time, I'd go ahead and file a dispute on your CC against them. You paid for the services and haven't received anything...

Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by FordRacer2005
I agree with 08FX4 completely. I'm very satisfied with my VMP tunes. I can't believe people are even okay waiting 8-12 weeks for tunes for a F150 ...
especially without ever actually seeing/putting the truck on a dyno

Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by jrfonte
you would think that with all of the business these companies do on tuning these trucks that they would have the files saved in a computer for different setups and just be able to attach them to an email and send them right out in no time. waiting since march and April is just ridiculous especially if you have already paid for them. i wouldn't have waited for more than a week after purchase before calling and complaining about it then demanding a refund. thats just stupid to have to wait 2 or 3 months. kinda like buying anything else when you pay for it you want to receive it in a decent amount of time.
but jmo and .02.
I can only speak for us. Every customer that comes to us gets his own custom tunes, as Bill looks at about 100 different parameters for each truck. Mods, of course, act differently on their own as well as when interacting with other modifications and should be tuned for accordingly. Again, I can only speak for us, but I can tell you that our wait time is not based upon the fact that each customer takes a few hours to tune -- it's based entirely on the sheer quantity of orders that come into our office.

When speaking to new customers, I do give them an estimated time for custom tunes; I also tell them that if the wait is too long, they might be happier with VMP. As far as I know, nobody has taken our suggestion, but I do let them know that we've only heard good things about Justin's tuning and that it's an option for them. Our customers have been willing to wait for Bill's tunes, but I can certainly understand if the wait is too long for some.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow, surprise surprise. my tunes came in about 2 hours after I sent the email asking for a refund! they also called twice but I have not had the chance to call back yet.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
We've seen this before, when you ask for a refund you will normally get your tunes by the end of the week.

Originally Posted by sml175
Wow, surprise surprise. my tunes came in about 2 hours after I sent the email asking for a refund! they also called twice but I have not had the chance to call back yet.
/thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
We've seen this before, when you ask for a refund you will normally get your tunes by the end of the week.

Good Call!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Geez Troyer hasn't changed the way he does business in years.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's crazy man. I guess everybody waiting for tunes should send an email demanding a refund!

Seriously it's good that you finally got the tunes. Now the question is this.... how well do they work? If I had my way I would compare all three (VMP, PHP, & Troyer) tunes on my truck to see which one worked the best.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4
That's crazy man. I guess everybody waiting for tunes should send an email demanding a refund!

Seriously it's good that you finally got the tunes. Now the question is this.... how well do they work? If I had my way I would compare all three (VMP, PHP, & Troyer) tunes on my truck to see which one worked the best.
Tunes can be night and day only with the driver demand tables changed, so it won't be hard to notice gains. True power though, must be measured on the dyno.

As far as the OP goes, he is more likely to come back and apologize to Troyer and say they were worth the wait. I am on a winning streak, anyone want to bet this time?

J/k

Quick Reply: Asking for refund now. It has been since early April