Asking for refund now. It has been since early April

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no dog in this hunt but I certainly agree with glc. We've all seen the threads on here of people pissed off waiting on tunes. Or waiting on emails and phone calls to be returned, etc. My question is why aren't these guys training employees to write tunes? Not just Troyer. We see it with PHP, too. I'm sure it takes years of experience to write tunes for specific vehicles, customer needs but it's never too late to train employees. That way your ensured your company will not suffer if you become ill or incapacitated. Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like smart business sense.

I'm not bad mouthing PHP here, but I see Corey respond a lot to people griping about waits. That Bill is the only one writing tunes. It sounds like it is the same with Mike. Hopefully someone can explain this reasoning to me.

If you make customers unhappy in the physical world, they might each tell 6 friends.
If you make customers unhappy on the Internet, they can each tell 6,000 friends.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, this is my fist reply on this forum but I have been skimming over this site for a while now because I decided to do a little to my mustang hauler. She's a red '04 5.4 3v reg. cab flareside with 20" lexii III's and a 3.5/5" drop. I have been building mustang for years, 4v, 3v, 2v and push rods in my shop and president of Southern Stang's Racing(SSR). I just wanted to say thanks guys for the info and help on my truck even though I never posted anything, I always found answers looking through here. My latest stang is a 92 competition orange coupe(turbo) street car that runs high 5's in the 1/8@114 on 93 oct. I've dealt with a lot of tuners and Steve Petty(The turbo god) at Proline helps me with my tunes on the bigstuff3. As much as I do hate whiners I have to say that I had bad experience with Troyer myself so I feel the pain of a LOT of others not even specifically on here. I now have a Whipple and NX kit on my truck and I finally had to get a tune with Tony at HP performance and got what I needed. She dyno'ed at 405 & 440 at 100 deg. temp. @8psi. without the bottle and was a a$$ load stronger than the ford racing tune. I tried to get tuned by him also and I'm sorry and like I said before me and my guys have dealt with a lot of tuners and that amount of wait time is seriously ridiculous. I talked to him personally for about 30-45 min. on the phone and he is does in fact seem like a really great guy. I ordered a pulley and even gave him a credit card # and called back for the next 3 weeks and probably talked to 4 different people and the pulley was never ordered. I know for a fact Mike is the F150 god even according to Tony at HP which they both with 8 other tuners were the first to take the SCT software training coarse but any honest reputable tuner will tell you, there is not 5 hp difference between one good tuner and another which is seriously not worth the wait. If it wasn't for the service and wait I would have liked to give him a chance but there are way to many good tuners in the southeast for me to waist my time. Just my experience to share guys and though I've done a lot with mustangs I will still be the first to say I don't know half of what there is to know so thanks for the the help on my truck.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=mxracer49;3792126]. My question is why aren't these guys training employees to write tunes? QUOTE]

Its quality assurance. Mike is a perfectionist and he only wants to put out something that he knows is 1000% correct

Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
[QUOTE=FX4 Matt;3792306]
Originally Posted by mxracer49
. My question is why aren't these guys training employees to write tunes? QUOTE]

Its quality assurance. Mike is a perfectionist and he only wants to put out something that he knows is 1000% correct
Fine - but what's so difficult about putting it out when you SAY you will? He may be a perfectionist when it comes to the quality of the product, but it sure looks to me like he is far from it when it comes to scheduling his workflow and communicating delays to his customers.

That's the whole issue here.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Update from the originator of this post: This is the first chance I have had to post since getting back to VA. BUT, on the way down here, I stopped at Troyer Performance. I met the staff who were deeply caring about the mix up and explained why and what happened. As I have seen the NEW filing process and why it was implemented. Mike IS a perfectionist and after over a 1 hour conversation I see why I went from somewhere in the pile to getting them the same day. Ok, it sounds funny and I stated that the tunes came the same day as a refund request, but as they say, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" and I was impressed by the sincerity, professionalism, and just the personalism that was shown via our meeting. I do have my tunes, not happy with the tow tune at all, Mike has been told and will correct it. As he stated, he is not finished until the customer is 100% satisfied. I am very please to have met the gentleman who does the programming. As for this post, I am now finished. Unless someone needs to know why I do not like the tow tune. Lack of throttle response, lack of power going up steep hill with boat (no power to go over 45mph) and worse mileage than the canned tune. But I will not go to someone else after meeting Mike. He is one of the few people I have met that can look you in the eye and say they were sorry for the miscommunication and mean it. Respectable, yes.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sml175
Update from the originator of this post: This is the first chance I have had to post since getting back to VA. BUT, on the way down here, I stopped at Troyer Performance. I met the staff who were deeply caring about the mix up and explained why and what happened. As I have seen the NEW filing process and why it was implemented. Mike IS a perfectionist and after over a 1 hour conversation I see why I went from somewhere in the pile to getting them the same day. Ok, it sounds funny and I stated that the tunes came the same day as a refund request, but as they say, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" and I was impressed by the sincerity, professionalism, and just the personalism that was shown via our meeting. I do have my tunes, not happy with the tow tune at all, Mike has been told and will correct it. As he stated, he is not finished until the customer is 100% satisfied. I am very please to have met the gentleman who does the programming. As for this post, I am now finished. Unless someone needs to know why I do not like the tow tune. Lack of throttle response, lack of power going up steep hill with boat (no power to go over 45mph) and worse mileage than the canned tune. But I will not go to someone else after meeting Mike. He is one of the few people I have met that can look you in the eye and say they were sorry for the miscommunication and mean it. Respectable, yes.
My respect to you for stepping up and handling the situation in this manner.
Now that you have been there and done that we will all move on

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by sml175
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Tunes can be night and day only with the driver demand tables changed, so it won't be hard to notice gains. True power though, must be measured on the dyno.

As far as the OP goes, he is more likely to come back and apologize to Troyer and say they were worth the wait. I am on a winning streak, anyone want to bet this time?

J/k
/thread (again)

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
Just to add on to what Marc said, I have been at Mikes on a friday that went into sat doing tuning on my truck. While Mike was running the dyno he was taking calls from other guys that had questions after hours. Some people just dont know what they are talkin about here Mike would give the shirt off his back. as Marc said Mike is one man that does every tune while running the shop, doing installs, phone calls tunes, runnin the dyno. he is only one man and I guess you can please every one If I was him I would tell you to go some place else with your money.
Justin is the only person at VMP Tuning. VMP Tuning according to SCT has been in the top ranks for top SCT sales, along with Mike Troyer. It just doesn't make sense why it's taking 10+ weeks for tunes. If you are willing to wait that long than more power to you. I know I couldn't wait that long ..

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
All I know is when Bill did my custom tune it took 3 days. Then again I was probably one of the very first to get my custom tunes before PHP started. Today if I had to order a custom tune it would take 3 months from the way it sounds regardless who you get it from!!

All I can say is Im in the wrong line of work!!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 AM
?

Originally Posted by F150FXOnline
All I know is when Bill did my custom tune it took 3 days. Then again I was probably one of the very first to get my custom tunes before PHP started. Today if I had to order a custom tune it would take 3 months from the way it sounds regardless who you get it from!!

All I can say is Im in the wrong line of work!!!!!
i 'd say the line of work in these times -is one that provides a service that is a NECESSITY, not a line of work that is a luxury-, at least that's my take on things,my buisiness has grown leaps and bounds since it's inception in '04-and that's even in today's economy...

Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
/thread (again)

There is no need for an apology when the situation has been resolved in a positive manner for both parties. Although each person at Troyer did come up and apologize personally to me when I went there. The tune situation has not been resolved yet and I have spoke to them twice about the problem. I am positive that after meeting them it will also be resolved in a positive manner. I went to them for resolution on the matter and for answers, which I received and am comfortable with. If you still need to push the issue for some unknown reason let me know, I am sure the other older members here know about patience and resolution and would be glad to tell you about it.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by obusnizzle
My tune from him was way more complicated than the eleven thousands tunes for 5.4L F150s with 35in tires and an AF1 intake that Troyer bangs out.
You would be quite wrong there. Troyer is probably the most thorough tuner of these trucks that you will ever find.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Norm
You would be quite wrong there. Troyer is probably the most thorough tuner of these trucks that you will ever find.
thats all fine and dandy and we can talk about his merits until the cows come home....but your statement is out of context to mine...additionally, the comparison of a tune made for a custom transmission, larger injectors, different maf, cams, higher stall, shorter gears...is a big different than writing a tune for a truck with a CAI that is sold on a daily basis and a tire setup that is widely programmed for.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
And your point is? My post was completely in context to yours.
Everything you stated is exactly what Mike does and has been doing for 15 plus years. If it can be tuned for Mike tunes it. He specializes in F-150s. He is not a Mustang tuner that does trucks on the side.

Last edited by Norm; 07-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Norm
Everything you stated is exactly what Mike does and has been doing for 15 plus years. If it can be tuned for Mike tunes it. He specializes in F-150s. He is not a Mustang tuner that does trucks on the side.
That's kind of funny. Are you referencing VMP? Justin used to work for SCT writing tune files for all types of vehicles including F150s.

Quick Reply: Asking for refund now. It has been since early April