Edge tow settings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell yeah punisher steppin it up!

If I run level 3 on 91 octane would I leave the timing alone for maximum performance?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DOD 4.6
Hell yeah punisher steppin it up!

If I run level 3 on 91 octane would I leave the timing alone for maximum performance?
You leave it alone for safety. Level 3 is written for 91. If you use 93, you bump it up +1.0.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by desertcb
Since you obviously appear to have had your edge for a while I was interested in your opinion as to whether or not it actually helped or not. I will also be going to the Branson area next week from El Paso. My load will be a little heavier than yours but not much. All total including the Harley the gross vehicle weight will be approx 12,500 lbs. Just unde rthe Ford rated capacity of 13K. Did you realize any noticeable performance in MPG,power etc? I am contemplating buying the edge evolution for some tuning enhancements when I am towing. I appreciate opinions but facts are better.
The lower rpm torque gains and the better shift strategies of the edge canned tow tune will help.
Unfortunately you may or may not see milage gains with a load that size and if you do they may be minimal over stock tunned towing. All depends on how you drive.

Last edited by 88racing; 07-02-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm looking at an edge and I run 90 octane. Could I run a 91 octance and be safe?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM
a 91 octane tune I mean

Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM

We made the trip up to Branson and back and the Edge was a big help. There was definately a noticable difference in torque at the low RPM's. What little bit of passing I did the truck seemed to have more umph! My dad was towing his trailer which is shorter and lighter than mine with a 2007 F150 4x4 Screw. Essentially the same as mine but he doesn't have the Edge. Going up the steep grades in the Ozarks I was pulling away on him. I didn't notice any big mileage improvement, maybe a half gallon, but I did not see a drop either. I have put on larger wheels and tires since making the trip last year. So it may have helped my mileage from dropping with the larger set up I have now? It was also handy to be able to watch the transmission temps and other stuff i wanted to keep an eye on.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ab46501
We made the trip up to Branson and back and the Edge was a big help. There was definately a noticable difference in torque at the low RPM's. What little bit of passing I did the truck seemed to have more umph! My dad was towing his trailer which is shorter and lighter than mine with a 2007 F150 4x4 Screw. Essentially the same as mine but he doesn't have the Edge. Going up the steep grades in the Ozarks I was pulling away on him. I didn't notice any big mileage improvement, maybe a half gallon, but I did not see a drop either. I have put on larger wheels and tires since making the trip last year. So it may have helped my mileage from dropping with the larger set up I have now? It was also handy to be able to watch the transmission temps and other stuff i wanted to keep an eye on.
Sounds as if it helped. Yes, bigger tires and wheels really eat into the mpg, so it may have helped more than you realize. I really keep an eye on my temps, could not do without my display.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Currious to know what were your transmission temps.

Originally Posted by ab46501
I just made a run through the Ozarks and was also monitoring the temps on the tranny with my Scan Guage. Temperature of the fluid in the hills ran as high as 212. (I have a Factory tow package) On flat towing temps were around 200. Do you recall what your tranny temps were?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004f1505.4x4
I'm looking at an edge and I run 90 octane. Could I run a 91 octance and be safe?
It depends on a couple of things.

First, is your gas graded by the (R + M)/2 method? If so, the answer is "yes", but you might want to retard your timing by -0.5 degrees. However, what's your altitude up there? IF you are somewhat above 3500 feet (or a bit more than 1000 meters), you can probably leave the timing alone. Gas octane is reduced for fuel sold at higher altitudes because the altitude improves the anti-knock properties (while robbing you of power).

But, if your gas is graded using the RON (Research Octane Number) method only, DO NOT use a 91 octane tune. You are filling with gas that is only slightly higher in octane than our 87 octane. Use an 87 octane tune.

- Jack

Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by desertcb
I just made a run through the Ozarks and was also monitoring the temps on the tranny with my Scan Guage. Temperature of the fluid in the hills ran as high as 212. (I have a Factory tow package) On flat towing temps were around 200. Do you recall what your tranny temps were?
I have the factory tow package also. On flats or if I was not climbing large hills the tranny temps stayed around 188. On a couple of the large and long climbs near Branson it peaked out at 202. I wasn't pulling quite as much weight as you though.

Quick Reply: Edge tow settings?