need advice on tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice on tuner

i have an 09 f150, fx4. i really like the truck and have no real complaints except that i would love to have a little more power. increased gas mileage would be nice also. i am hoping someone can give me all the information i need to make an informed decision about tuners. i have never had one and i generally dont know anything about them. how exactly does it work? does it affect warranty? i live in california and have to smog our vehicles every so often. is a tuner permanent? what is the difference between custom tune and one you can purchase like gryphon and the other tuners out there? sorry for all the questions, but i really just want to be knowledgable about this before i decide to purchase one. i know that this site is very helpful when i have questions. thanks in advance for info. nsanef150

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Well first off a gryphon is an edge evolution that is loaded with custom tunes by PHP specifically for your truck and your driving needs. Honestly that will be your best bet. They can give you i think 3 different custom tunes to choose from which can be pretty much anything you want: towing, gas mileage, performance etc.. and yes just like any other tuner out there, you can also set your truck back to the stock settings when needed. Anyone on this site will tell you the same thing, your going to want to get some custom tunes from PHP, Troyer, or VMP. Honestly i would go with VMP or even Gryphon by PHP so you have that pod on your dash that has all the goodies plus i've heard that troyer has some super long waits.
I just baught a brand new hypertech off a guy for $150, good price, decent (at best) product overall, but its still not what i want. Even for $150 it doesnt seem to be worth it. Hypertech and other basic tuners are what we call 'canned tunes'. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE, suck it up and get some custom tunes! Honestly i dont see how people can buy canned tunes for full price, and to be honest i feel like an for even paying 150.
Get custom tunes... its that simple.

Last edited by 2004Lariat5.4; 07-20-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
nsanef150, I don't know if PHP is offering a Gryphon yet for 2009's. I DO know that Bill Cohron consults with Edge and helped them earlier in the year in developing canned tunes for the 2009.

You probably should try to contact any of the real tuners, such as Mike Troyer, Justin Starkey or Bill Cohron to see if they are tuning 2009's yet.

- Jack

Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Just had correspondence from Justin (VMP) this am with the exact same issues for a 2009 Lariat. Yes he is tuning them, he will need computer code and transmission code (due to new 6 speed trans) it will operate both. personally, I am going to get my codes Thursday and placing my order ASAP. I just want him to have all the info so I am not playing the email game. I want plug and play!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by xnykr35
Just had correspondence from Justin (VMP) this am with the exact same issues for a 2009 Lariat. Yes he is tuning them, he will need computer code and transmission code (due to new 6 speed trans) it will operate both. personally, I am going to get my codes Thursday and placing my order ASAP. I just want him to have all the info so I am not playing the email game. I want plug and play!
Great! EVERYTHING I have heard about Justin and VMP has been positive! Let us know your experience too.

- Jack

Quick Reply: need advice on tuner