What should i go with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should i go with?

I have a 97 4.6L with only 85,000 miles on it. I use it a lot for pulling anything from a hay trailer to parade floats. Looking to get a little more power. Tried the edge evolution but did not like it at all. Recommendations?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ELSetzer75
I have a 97 4.6L with only 85,000 miles on it. I use it a lot for pulling anything from a hay trailer to parade floats. Looking to get a little more power. Tried the edge evolution but did not like it at all. Recommendations?
If you're looking for low end pulling power, increase your gear ratio.

Jack

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 PM
I was thinking of something along the lines of a programmer. preferably one with towing and performance settings.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I was thinking of something along the lines of a programmer. preferably one with towing and performance settings.
OK. You said you did not care for the Edge. The Gryphon will perform a bit better and so will any custom tuned programmer such as the XCal from Troyer.

But, if you were not impressed with the improvement the Edge gave you, I suspect you want a whole lot more than a programmer can give you.

The biggest gain in pulling power is going to come from gears. You simply cannot get around basic laws of physics.

(And you're hearing this from a real fan of PHP!)

- Jack

Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Xcal3 from a custom tuner like VMP, cold air intake, and some 4.10s unless you've got bigger than factory tires and you might want to even consider something more.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:45 AM
what are u you looking to get out of the chip because pretty much they all end up doing different things even if they dont say it

Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I wasn't impressed with the support I received from edge which is the reason I do not want to go through them. I ordered one and it ended up being a programmer that was sent in broke and they "fixed" it and sent it to me. I could not even get it to work and just about cost me a new computer for my truck. So I am looking for something similar to the edge. Just something I can be able to switch from towing, performance, and another phase easily. I'm just looking for something to gain a little more power for pulling a parade float up the interstate through the mountains.

Trending Topics

Old 07-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I wasn't impressed with the support I received from edge which is the reason I do not want to go through them. I ordered one and it ended up being a programmer that was sent in broke and they "fixed" it and sent it to me. I could not even get it to work and just about cost me a new computer for my truck. So I am looking for something similar to the edge. Just something I can be able to switch from towing, performance, and another phase easily. I'm just looking for something to gain a little more power for pulling a parade float up the interstate through the mountains.
Now that's a whole lot more informative. You can work directly with Bill Cohron at http://www.phptune.com, if you really want an "Edge-like" device, or you can contact Mike Troyer at http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...&link=mainpage if you feel you can do without gauges.

- Jack

Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks. Which would you suggest? Or are they very similar just one with gauges and one without?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Thanks. Which would you suggest? Or are they very similar just one with gauges and one without?
I'm biased. I have a Gryphon from PHP. But, I've heard nothing but good things about Troyer. My guess is, the tunes are roughly equivalent. They will both improve your driving experience about equally. Both Mike and Bill are very skilled at what they do.

The devices ARE different - and I appreciate the gauges in my Gryphon.

- Jack