Realistic expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm
Chester, this has been discussed ad infinitum on here. Ford doesn't do it because they want everyone to buy trucks and a lot of people (women especially) do not like hard or quick shifts. Ford programs in slop to make a smoother drive. Unfortunately this lowest common denominator tuning style is not the most efficient. MPG gains can be made in tuning for efficiency.
Norm, You know as well as I that the .2 seconds of shift time every few miles doesn't burn 2mpg worth of gas. Unless you're riding down the interstate rapidly pushing the o/d button.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by chester8420
Norm, You know as well as I that the .2 seconds of shift time every few miles doesn't burn 2mpg worth of gas. Unless you're riding down the interstate rapidly pushing the o/d button.
Chester - I HAVE to "call" you on this. I know how to calculate gas mileage. I know my speed and odometer are correct. At 68 1/2 years of age (*I'm really old*), I know when I alter my driving habits and when I don't.

My mileage DID improve after I installed the Edge, and it improved even more (about 1/2 mpg) when I converted it to a Gryphon with custom tunes.

One possible explanation is that tuners can lean out the mixture a bit above stoich as long as you are not under load (in a highway cruise condition). Over many miles, this can add up.

And, if they can set the A/F ratios to be optimum for efficiency in open loop, you get further gains.

- Jack

Old 08-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
And, if they can set the A/F ratios to be optimum for efficiency in open loop, you get further gains.

- Jack
Ok, I'll give you that. It can improve your WOT gas mileage.

1/2 mpg more means you went about 10 extra miles on a tank. Assuming 15mpg baseline, and a 20 gal fillup. That's VERY narrow measurement margins IMO.

That would be an impossible margin for me. I probably have about 10 miles of burnout on any given tank.

Last edited by chester8420; 08-17-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm curious if these mileage claims are combined city and highway or just highway. I do a lot of city driving and while you do use less pedal effort than without a tuner, I either drive too much city driving to notice much difference. I don't gain much mileage with the stop and go of in-town driving. I just made a 400 mile road trip and averaged 18.5 on the highway (SCrew, 4x4, 3.73s), which isn't bad considering my truck was rated for 17 highway. This was using a performance tune. I just have a hard time believing running in closed loop on the highway makes that much difference, stock or tuned. I don't have a basis of comparison, as I put tunes on this truck in the first month I owned it. Can some of you clarify the mileage gains of 2 mpg?

Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
There is more to it than that. Believe what you like. Many people here will disagree with you. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Personally I did not buy my tuner for MPGs but some people do.

Last edited by Norm; 08-17-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Windsor
I'm curious if these mileage claims are combined city and highway or just highway. I do a lot of city driving and while you do use less pedal effort than without a tuner, I either drive too much city driving to notice much difference. I don't gain much mileage with the stop and go of in-town driving. I just made a 400 mile road trip and averaged 18.5 on the highway (SCrew, 4x4, 3.73s), which isn't bad considering my truck was rated for 17 highway. This was using a performance tune. I just have a hard time believing running in closed loop on the highway makes that much difference, stock or tuned. I don't have a basis of comparison, as I put tunes on this truck in the first month I owned it. Can some of you clarify the mileage gains of 2 mpg?
Nicely asked!

MY mileage gains are ALL highway driving. I only drive my truck in the city far enough to fill the tank with gas (or if I have to do some kind of major "hauling").

Before I got my custom 87 non-towing tune, I could get between 15.0 and 15.5 driving at 55-60 mph. (We take 120 mile trips to a place in southern Arizona that is all "country road" driving and that's the average speed. If I was driving 70-75 on the interstate, the economy dropped to about 14.5 mpg most of the time.

With the tune though, I'm averaging 15.5 at 70-75 mph. And on the country road trips, we get 16 - 16.5 mpg.

I normally fill the tank when I reach about 23-25 gallons used.

I also posted a long time ago that I picked up at least 0.5 mpg while towing, with the towing tune, and this was over a 2,400 mile trip up into the Colorado Rockies. (Total distance / Total fuel burned).

I'm absolutely convinced the tuning has helped with fuel economy!

- Jack

Quick Reply: Realistic expectations?