I have waited since 5/6/2009 for my Troyer tune, how long have you waited

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have waited since 5/6/2009 for my Troyer tune, how long have you waited

I think waiting over 3 months for a tune on a truck with a Roush supercharger with headers is a friggin joke.
It can't take more than an hour to do a copy and paste to get it done on a tune that has been done over and over and over.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM
thus the reason i will never buy one.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by don40vette
I think waiting over 3 months for a tune on a truck with a Roush supercharger with headers is a friggin joke.
It can't take more than an hour to do a copy and paste to get it done on a tune that has been done over and over and over.
I should know better than to even attempt to tred here, but that is not exactly how it is done. Have you called them to let them know how you feel about the wait, and to see if there is something that was missed on the data sheets for your truck?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
?

Originally Posted by spdkilz02
thus the reason i will never buy one.
166,000 hard driven miles in my van on troyer tunes since new-hence the reason he will be the only 1 to tune my fords

Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Though some tuners use calibrations over and over, I don't believe Mike is one of them. As Bill says, "They're called custom calibrations for a reason." I can't really speak for Mike, but if his circumstances are anything like PHP, it's not the fact that your particular tunes are taking very long to write --it's the enormous wait in line ahead of you. Personally, I think that says a lot.

I'm sure he did not intend to have you wait three months, and I've only heard good things about his tuning. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your calibrations.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
One other thing to keep in mind... Do you really want the guy that is tuning your supercharged vehicle to be cutting and pasting tables and functions in your calibration?

Like OCP and Groovy Chick said, there's a reason that it's taking a while and I'm sure it's not because he's watching "Girls Next Door" or reruns of "Star Trek". I'm sure a simple phone call or e-mail could clear things up quickly and get you the current status. Mike is a pretty easygoing character and won't bite your head off... I promise!

Take care.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Did you just see how another "super" tuner pointed out what it takes? "Custom" IS NOT "copy and paste".

You want something fast? Go to Micky D's. You want something that's customized for you, prepare to wait a bit for it.

And, the most important part of ASEMechani's post - Why don't you CALL Mike Troyer and find out what's going on? "Venting" here doesn't do anything for you.

- Jack

Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Posting on a message board gets you nothing. Call Troyer Performance.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:32 AM
This post was asking how long others had to wait for their tune not a vent as some of you seem to think.

You guys that think "custom tuning" is not copy and paste on a tune that has been done hundreds/thousands of times for basically the same truck over and over don't have a clue on programming.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor
This post was asking how long others had to wait for their tune not a vent as some of you seem to think.

You guys that think "custom tuning" is not copy and paste on a tune that has been done hundreds/thousands of times for basically the same truck over and over don't have a clue on programming.
Please don't assume that you know what anyone is thinking. The purpose of my post was to inform and to encourage you.

My husband's been tuning for about a dozen years now (I'd say that we have a pretty good handle on this custom tuning thing by now). There are over 100 parameters that are addressed for each calibration -- not just each customer -- and every customer that purchases custom tunes deserves to have CUSTOM tunes. With our diesels, there are some customers with stock trucks or trucks with mild mods who are perfectly happy using "canned tunes," and rest assured that they are quite aware that they are not receiving "custom tunes."

If you wanted a tuner that simply gave you someone else's calibrations, there are certainly others that you could have gone with besides Troyer. Mike does plenty more each day than sit around and write calibrations, and all this experience pays off when he's tuning for your truck. I still believe that you're going to be pleased with Mike's tunes.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 AM
This post was asking how long others had to wait for their tune not a vent as some of you seem to think."

Um... Maybe you need to reread your first post because that sounds like "venting" to me, and apparently to everyone else as well.

Dang... you must have it all figured out and I'm doing something wrong. I thought that after more than a dozen years in custom tuning I was pretty sharp by taking the time to make sure that a person's tunes are be built to fit their needs. I guess I should have been using cookie cutter crap all along. After all a 6# blower runs just like a 12# blower, right?

Since you've obviously got a handle on how custom tuning works, maybe you should start your own tuning company and show all of us other "tuners" how to do it right because as you said, apparently we don't have a clue.

Take care.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not basically the same truck. Mileage on the O2s, the specific calibration code of your truck (Roush has 13 PCM revisions for the F150 at last count), gear ratios, tire size, how you drive it, your mods, etc. I've been in Mike's office (we're friends) using my laptop while waiting for him to complete some customer tunes, and it can range from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on what needs to be done. And that does not include any follow up tuning if the customer data logs the truck. Now, there are only 40 hours in a week, so you're looking at 40 tuners out the door each week on average, PLUS he has to get his other work done. Having run a very busy tuning shop myself in the past, I can tell you that 20 tuners/week was a slow week for us, and we did up to 100/week --- and not all of those were custom tuners (back when Superchips and Diablo off the shelf tuners were still big and competing with SCT). I couldn't imagine Mike's work load with all custom tunes.

Yeah, he needs to hire some calibration help, but its hard to come by someone who a) is worth his salt, and b) won't rip off your tuning ideas.

What Bill is telling you is the truth, its not cut and paste for many items. He's been there just like Mike, myself and others. Sure I can load in a file that contains a few "standard" changes like closed to open throttle transition rate for a Roushcharger, but the rest of it is going to require attention to the exact needs of the customer and the truck configuratuion. With custom tuning, more often than not its not the tuning that deligates the wait time, its how many customers the tuner has in line.

Last edited by DigitalMarket; 08-15-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

reallly???? if it's so easy why don't you tune vehicles??????

and what did troyer's staff say when you called, or haven't you called them???

Old 08-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Wow take it easy on the guy...

Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordRacer2005
Wow take it easy on the guy...
I agree. The OP has a fair gripe. I think Mike & Co are fine people, and I don't want to bash at all.
But, three months+ for a tune is plain crazy.

Quick Reply: I have waited since 5/6/2009 for my Troyer tune, how long have you waited