edge cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge cable

I have an edge programmer, and I somehow lost the little cord to plug into my pc to update it a while back. Where can I find a replacement? It looks like toward the OBD plug it splits off and there is a 4 pin plug of some kind, into which you plug the USB cord. I emailed edge a while back and they were no help. Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by patd59
I have an edge programmer, and I somehow lost the little cord to plug into my pc to update it a while back. Where can I find a replacement? It looks like toward the OBD plug it splits off and there is a 4 pin plug of some kind, into which you plug the USB cord. I emailed edge a while back and they were no help. Any suggestions?
It's a standard USB cable that you can find at Radio Shack. I'll ask Bill which one it is so you know what to ask for. If anyone else knows before he's on, feel free to jump in!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Pat,

It's a standard USB A -> mini B. It's the same one used by many digital cameras and other compact devices such as many cell phones. Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart and most other retail places that sell electronics should carry one.

Take care.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Where does the mini b plug in on the programmer? The only plugs I can see on mine is the OBD plug and another one that looks similar to the one that plugs in the back of the module, but instead of six pins, it has four. Im sorry if I sound like a moron, im just trying to figure this out.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Where does the mini b plug in on the programmer? The only plugs I can see on mine is the OBD plug and another one that looks similar to the one that plugs in the back of the module, but instead of six pins, it has four. Im sorry if I sound like a moron, im just trying to figure this out.
It is on the bottom...

Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the mini usb port was on the right side. I sent mine off so I don't know.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 PM

it may be... I'm not sure, From this picture it looks to be on the bottom. I don't have my truck with me today so I'm not sure either. I'll get a picture of it later when i get home from work

Old 08-15-2009, 02:27 PM
You won't need the OBD cable. You can leave that in the truck. You need a standard mini usb to usb cable. One end plugs into the computer, the other plugs directly into the programmer.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Here is a picture of what you need. The connector on left goes into the computer, the connector on the right goes into the edge.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:38 PM
i have a few if you dont have any luck finding one..the ones i had came with a cheap mp3 player my kids had which are long gone. i still use one at work for a back up to charge my Motorola razor. my sony digital camera uses the asme..

Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 PM
ok, feel kinda dumb now. I'll look at it when I get the truck back from the body shop. Thank you for the suggestions

Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
ok, feel kinda dumb now. I'll look at it when I get the truck back from the body shop. Thank you for the suggestions
Pat - don't feel dumb. The receptacle is covered by a rubber cover that you pull off. On mine, it's on the right side of the unit.

- Jack

Old 08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
well alright...just out of curiosity, what is that other 4 pin plug on the OBD calbe for??

Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM

The programmer is constantly plugged into the OBDII port in order to program your computer and to run diagnostics and gather DTC's.

I believe that is the "4 Pin Plug" you are speaking of.

I suggest going to www.edgeproducts.com and downloading a copy of the users manual for your evolution.

It isn't very long, and will probably answer all of your questions.

Take a good look at your plugs and your evolution when you get it back I'm sure it will be all pretty obvious to you when you actually see it.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
well alright...just out of curiosity, what is that other 4 pin plug on the OBD calbe for??
I finally figured out what you were asking in the first place. Edge has gone to a "generic" cable for their products. The little 4-pin dongle is for a diesel application. Just let it "dangle". It has nothing to do with connecting to a PC.

Rednoved posted a picture of the kind of cable you need to connect the Edge to a PC. It's a standard USB cable. The OBDII cable is not used with the PC at all.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 08-16-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Finally figured out the question.

Quick Reply: edge cable