So, is the more the shift firmness the better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, is the more the shift firmness the better?

I was just wondering if the more firmness I set on my gryphon is it better for my tranny especially when towing? I would assume so since there is less slippage of the clutches under a harder shift, right? Right now I'm running the firmness at 15, but it goes up to 25.

I was just wondering what the best # I should set the firmness at? Someone with some insight could you chime in please?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No it is not.

Your tuner makes firmer shifts by raising the line pressure in the transmission. Prolonged heightened line pressure will result in premature failure of your pump and the only way to fix it is to rip apart the trans. This is the main reason I have never been too excited about making firmer shifts this way. I prefer a mechanical fix ie: a shift kit, separator plate or valve body. I had PHP custom tune most of my shift firmness out because of my separator plate.

Don't get me wrong the tuner does work but don't go overboard.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I ran +12 and that was as firm as I ever felt comfortable with. Also, the 3-4 shift should never be more than +9.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Grizz - I'm going to correct one small thing you said: The firmness setting you can adjust on the Edge or the Gryphon is NOT line pressure. It's the delay between one set of clutches releasing and the next set becoming fully locked up. Having this occur too quickly puts stress on components. If it occurs too slowly, you get increased clutch wear.

The line pressure is something that Bill adjusts, when your tunes are written, along with torque reduction. You have no control over line pressure or torque reduction with an Edge or Gryphon. He also changes your "firmness" too, when he writes your tunes, so don't get carried away with making it too "firm".

- Jack

Old 08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Grizz - I'm going to correct one small thing you said: The firmness setting you can adjust on the Edge or the Gryphon is NOT line pressure. It's the delay between one set of clutches releasing and the next set becoming fully locked up. Having this occur too quickly puts stress on components. If it occurs too slowly, you get increased clutch wear.

The line pressure is something that Bill adjusts, when your tunes are written, along with torque reduction. You have no control over line pressure or torque reduction with an Edge or Gryphon. He also changes your "firmness" too, when he writes your tunes, so don't get carried away with making it too "firm".

- Jack
So.....do you think I should back it down from 15 or do you think it is fine where its at? I wasn't planning on going further.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by blk450er
So.....do you think I should back it down from 15 or do you think it is fine where its at? I wasn't planning on going further.
+15 seems VERY high to me if you have a Gryphon. Bill has already "tweaked" the "canned" tunes if you have a Gryphon, and I'd think the "firmness" is about at the optimum place. (HIS "canned" tunes are not the same as what you find in the Edge). Personally, I'd set the firmness back to zero for all shifts and drive it for a while. If you think it feels too soft, try adding +5 and I would not go much above +10. Bluejay was right too - keep the 3-4 upshift firmness lower than the others.

- Jack

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Proper tuning will not hurt your transmission.

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor

This is an *excellent* question - over the years here this has been covered many times, but it's been awhile, and I'm busy enough that sadly, unlike I used to be able to do, I am not here every single day anymore, so let's go over that a bit again.

First, let's ask this question - is it within the realm of *possibility* for tuning (done improperly) to hurt an automatic transmission? and that answer is YES!! It is *possible* for that to be done by someone doing improper things in a calibration.

Now, the more important question - is that actually going to happen?

Now that answer actually varies depending on *who* is doing the tuning and thus how much knowledge they have in general, and then what kind of F-150 *specific* mechanical & tuning experience they have.

With our Troyer Performance custom tuning, which is what most people here go with, no, the tranny's life will not be shortened - in fact, the friction materials (bands & clutches) will actually last *longer* thanks to the reduced slippage.

Another important aspect of this besides things like the simple line pressures is how the torque management is calibrated - some tuners will go in and either eliminate ALL torque management, or reduce it enough in certain areas to hurt a transmission - and this is where years of platform-specific experience comes into play, particularly with these F-150's. Here it depends on exactly which transmission you have (E4OD, 4R100, 4R70W, 4R70-E or 4R75-E) you have and whether the vehicle is using a supercharger and whether it has any mechanical modifications to the transmission that dictates how the torque management needs to be set up to give you the best compromise between best acceleration & performance versus not putting too much power thru the transmission during gear changes that would slip the clutches.

So again, it really gets back to experience on this platform and knowing the weaknesses & strengths of each different automatic transmission.

For example - some of the 2004 5.4 3V F-150's have a tendency to "bang" the 4-2 downshift even in stock trim - so in *some* of those calibrations, we will actually INCREASE the amount of torque management on that particular shift so that it accomplishes the shift smoothly and doesn't bang the drum inside the tranny. Now Ford made a change to the valve body in the 4R75-E trannies that all 5.4 3V's in the F-150 get that eliminated that problem, but it is an issue in some 2004 5.4 3V F-150's, and we know which ones based on the computer strategy for each vehicle.

With our tuning, the issue of potential harm to an automatic transmission is not going to be an issue - we are not shortening the life of the transmission, but instead, actually extend the service life of the friction materials thanks to reduced slippage.

It's an excellent question, but one that with our tuning, you will not have to be concerned with - you will find that we fix a lot of the driveability issues that you experience in your vehicle, as we work very carefully on the transmission's calibration - shift points, torque converter lockup & unlock points, etc., etc.

I hope that info helps, & please feel free to call us if you'd like to go over this in more detail, our number is listed just below, OK?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 PM
I run mine on 15 and have towed 8000lbs several times this way.Just be careful with the throttle when the trans is shifting on the hills I think you could hurt the trans or rear end etc.It would also depend on how much weight your towing.

Quick Reply: So, is the more the shift firmness the better?