Edge

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge

I ordered a new Edge for my 07 4.6L to-day. I understand that there are three canned tunes Performance, Tow and Stock. I do not tow anything. I am looking for a little better performance and hopefully a slight increase in milage, which canned tune would be best. There was mention of a tune on this forum for fuel econamy, did I miss this or is it a tune to be added? I have stock 20 inch rims on this FX 2 with 3.73 gears, I have increased the tire size slightly should I change this in the Edge before or after I program??

Last edited by Macs2013; 09-14-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Ok, here we go. Level 1 is just a shifting tune. Level 2 is a towing tune, gives great low end improvement but runs out of steam on the highway, in the upper rpms. Level 3 is a performance tune that pulls till you let off. Levels 1 and 2 are for 87 octane. Level 3 is for 91 or 93 octane. Normally, level 3 gives enough mpg improvement to pay for the price difference.

On any of the 3 tunes, you can adjust your tire size with the Edge. To get more economy, you will need custom tunes, you get those from PHP. You will need to convert your Edge to the Gryphon to get custom tunes.

Hope this helps some. The Edge is good, the custom tunes will be betetr if you ever decide to upgrade.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
If you haven't done so already, kindly read the sticky at the top of this forum. It may answer some of your questions and may help you understand the "jargon" a bit better.

- Jack

Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks, I have read the Sticky but still had a few questions. One thing that I am still not clear on , Is the Gryhon a new and seperate unit or your Edge modified with custom tunes?
I'm a little nervous about installing the Edge and changing the manufactures program.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by macs07
Thanks, I have read the Sticky but still had a few questions. One thing that I am still not clear on , Is the Gryhon a new and seperate unit or your Edge modified with custom tunes?
I'm a little nervous about installing the Edge and changing the manufactures program.
The Gryphon is a "recased" (new outside) Edge unit and the firmware in it is changed. Bill has also "tweaked" the "canned" tunes a bit in it for slightly better performance over the Edge canned tunes.

With the firmware update, the Gryphon will accept custom tuning. To be CARB certified, Edge cannot allow their units to be custom tuned.

I understand your hesitation in changing the program in the PCM. I was a bit nervous the first time too. Just read the manual you get with the unit and follow the directions - they're actually quite easy. Your battery needs to be at a good charge level and you simply let it do its thing without much intervention the first time through.

If you run into problems (rare), Bill Cohron can get you going again and will do so free of charge. Still, do the first program during the week, probably at home so it's easy to call for help if you need it and you're not stranded.

- Jack

Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
When you upgrade to the Gryphon, you send your Edge in and PHP puts a new "skin" on it and then loads your custom programs. It is an agreement PHP worked out with Edge.
Bill is a consultant and programmer for Edge as well as owns his own company, PHP.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Edge and Trans

I was reading on another forum were a fellow had indictaed that he had experianced some problem with his trany using the Edge on level 3. What is level 3? I understand the terms Performance, Tow and stock is one of these level 3?

Last edited by Macs2013; 09-16-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I was reading on another forum were a fellow had indictaed that he had experianced some problem with his trany using the Edge on level 3. What is level 3? I understand the terms Performance, Tow and stock is one of these level 3?
Please read my post #2. I explained the tunes. The stock tune is what your truck came with. Level 1 is a Shift Tune, Level 2 a Towing Tune, and Level 3 is a Performance Tune. Level 3 should not cause a problem with the transmission unless it is weak to start with. I put 31,000 miles on my truck with Level 3 before I went to custom tunes. I now have 91,000 on it and never a problem.

Quick Reply: Edge