What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I need?

Whats up guys, I drive an 05 F150 Supercrew. I've been reading a lot about performance chips and tuners/programmers and I have a general idea of how they work. With that said, I aint a mechanic and I dont know how to tune gear ratios and all that mess. My question is, what can I buy that doesnt require a lot of expertise so that I can get a little better fuel economy? I drive mostly interstate everyday to work and back and I rarely tow anything. A small trailer with a lawnmower is about it a few times a year to my parents house. Has anyone bought something pretty simple that has increased their fuel economy without spending an arm and a leg? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Its a 4.6 V8 btw...

Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Check my response to your "visitor message".

- Jack

Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roi?

Originally Posted by jsrainey
Whats up guys, I drive an 05 F150 Supercrew. I've been reading a lot about performance chips and tuners/programmers and I have a general idea of how they work. With that said, I aint a mechanic and I dont know how to tune gear ratios and all that mess. My question is, what can I buy that doesnt require a lot of expertise so that I can get a little better fuel economy? I drive mostly interstate everyday to work and back and I rarely tow anything. A small trailer with a lawnmower is about it a few times a year to my parents house. Has anyone bought something pretty simple that has increased their fuel economy without spending an arm and a leg? Any input is greatly appreciated.
I think it is a mis perception to believe that a tuner will help improve gas mileage to any sort of cost effective degree. It is not your fault merely a marketing ploy that is based on a somewhat false logic, i.e. the tuner makes the engine run more efficient there fore using less gas to move the vehicle.
FACT: When you install that bad boy and go for the first drive, MPG will be the last thing on your mind LOL.

Realistically you will spend at least $300 on a tuner with "canned" tunes. Lets say you realize a 1 MPG increase and you have a 30 gallon tank. This means you end up with an extra 30 miles. How much does it cost you to drive 30 miles? Maybe 2 gallons +/- so we will say $3.50 a tank in savings? You will have to fill that tank up 100 TIMES before you realize any return on your investment.

If you want to help the vehicle get moving, replace your gears if you have less than a 3.55. Many fords came with 3.31 and 3.08 from the factory. These are considered highway gears in that they keep the RPMs lower at highway speeds, however they also cause the vehicle to take considerably longer getting to speed. The easy analogy is the 10 speed bicycle. If you start on the smallest rear cog, you may have to stand up on the pedals to get going, and this would be the case with a 4.6L and a 3.08 rea end. Once you are up to speed it'll will run and accelerate fine. To get up to speed a bit quicker and ease the strain on the motor and transmission (more efficiently transfer power to the rear wheels) you would install a higher gear ratio. 3.73 is my favorite for all around town in my super crew.

The tunes will quicken the shifts which my save you some gas and it will also optimize the timing to more completely burn the fuel. Theoretically you could see some gas savings, but go back to the math and decide if it is worth it. The seat of the pants feeling will make it worth it for sure!

Good luck with your purchase!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
05s are 355 or 373 last i heard, may be wrong. jsrainy look into e-fans, and underdrive pullies from troyer performance, also vmp offers "custom" mpg tunes. but like malexander said it won't pay for itself right away, but will after awhile.