Mag Cats, O2 sensors and a Gryphon

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mag Cats, O2 sensors and a Gryphon

This is really two questions in one.

I sent off for a custom tune and listed my trucks specs on the paperwork. I stated I had high flow cats. What changes, if any, are made to the O2 sensors downstream? Can I disconnect the pigtail and do away with them?

This leads to my second question. Is there a way for me to know what changes have been made to my pcm based on the specs I sent in? I do not expect to get a detailed report but maybe something on the invoice that says based on the specs that you submitted to us we made the following changes i.e. adjusted fuel rail pressure, turned off downstream O2 sensors, changed timing.

I know Bill does great work and I am extremely happy with everything but I also know mistakes happen. On my original paperwork I requested an 89 custom performance tune. Once I had the gryphon on it showed there was an 87 custom performance tune installed. I called and spoke with Corey. She asked Bill and he said it was an 89 but typed it wrong so it says 87. No big deal really. I know I can make timing adjustments myself but if I was running 89 octane and thought it was tuned for 87 I would have adjusted it up .50 on the timing. Not a huge jump and everything probably would have been fine.

My point with all of this rambling is I would just like some kind of confirmation invoice showing what has been done. If it was something rather large like a customer adds a CAI or gets a true dual setup and requests a custom tune for those mods. If a mistake was made and one of those happened to get overlooked it would be far worse than some stupid mistake on a 2 point octane difference.

Again this is not me in anyway expressing dissatisfaction with PHP. I will support them all day long and have to say they are two of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of speaking with. I would and will continue to send my money to them for their efforts, time, and knowledge they provide to all of us.

Maybe this is something they are already providing to customers but mine was simply overlooked. I would even be happy with a generic list that included check boxes. If that was a change made during the configuring of my custom tune throw a check mark by that line. Not sure, these are just some random late night thoughts.

Last edited by PreCog; 09-27-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PreCog
This is really two questions in one.

I sent off for a custom tune and listed my trucks specs on the paperwork. I stated I had high flow cats. What changes, if any, are made to the O2 sensors downstream?
None. The O2 transport delays and heater duty cycle should remain the same. Custom tuning is not required for high flow cats.

Can I disconnect the pigtail and do away with them?
I don't recommend it, especially since its likely they are still turned on. They are there for a reason, so the PCM has feedback to know the cats are doing their job.

This leads to my second question. Is there a way for me to know what changes have been made to my pcm based on the specs I sent in?
Ask the tuner.

I do not expect to get a detailed report but maybe something on the invoice that says based on the specs that you submitted to us we made the following changes i.e. adjusted fuel rail pressure, turned off downstream O2 sensors, changed timing.
Generally there is no need to adjust fuel pressure unless you've done something like injector changes, blower, etc.

I know Bill does great work
Based on...?

and I am extremely happy with everything but I also know mistakes happen. On my original paperwork I requested an 89 custom performance tune. Once I had the gryphon on it showed there was an 87 custom performance tune installed. I called and spoke with Corey. She asked Bill and he said it was an 89 but typed it wrong so it says 87.
You might want to datalog the timing and knock sensor activity to verify that.

My point with all of this rambling is I would just like some kind of confirmation invoice showing what has been done. If it was something rather large like a customer adds a CAI or gets a true dual setup and requests a custom tune for those mods.
Those aren't large custom mods. They are mild and any tuner worth their salt can handle handle. Well, at least the CAI. The true duals are going to require a master tuner if the cats and O2s are in place. If the tuner can handle blowers, VCT and cam changes, now you're talking about larger mods.

If a mistake was made and one of those happened to get overlooked it would be far worse than some stupid mistake on a 2 point octane difference.
Well, they really aren't earth shattering mods. If its a poorly designed CAI it might run lean, and a code would let them know that, but true duals.... nope.

Again this is not me in anyway expressing dissatisfaction with PHP.
I will support them all day long and have to say they are two of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of speaking with. I would and will continue to send my money to them for their efforts, time, and knowledge they provide to all of us.

Maybe this is something they are already providing to customers but mine was simply overlooked. I would even be happy with a generic list that included check boxes. If that was a change made during the configuring of my custom tune throw a check mark by that line. Not sure, these are just some random late night thoughts.
Don't count on a tuner giving out detailed information about what they do. Tuners have enough trouble with their competitors reading their tunes and ripping off their R&D, or in the case of the really good tuners, quietly laughing at their competitors mistakes.

Last edited by DigitalMarket; 09-27-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Based on...?
Valid question and no googd answer for you on that one. The basis for my statement comes from the many followers he has and the positive things I have heard from others. Granted it is all hearsay and subjective.

None. The O2 transport delays and heater duty cycle should remain the same. Custom tuning is not required for high flow cats.

I don't recommend it, especially since its likely they are still turned on. They are there for a reason, so the PCM has feedback to know the cats are doing their job.
If they are not turned off I obviously would not remove them. I am purchasing two upstream sensors and would purchase two downstream sensors but that decision was dependent on whether or not they were still "turned on" and providing feedback to the PCM.

Generally there is no need to adjust fuel pressure unless you've done something like injector changes, blower, etc

The examples I gave were random and have no application to my situation. J

You might want to datalog the timing and knock sensor activity to verify that.
When I first received my gryphon, after having gone through its transformation from an evo, I saw that it had the option to datalog. I searched through the pegasus manual, gryphon manual, and the PHP website and found nothing to explain the datalog process. I obviously can push the button, watch it collect data, and plug it into my computer but that is as far as my datalog ability reaches. I am very analytical and can stare at the line graphs all date but I can not extrapolate anything from it. If I knew what to look for that would help. Any suggestions on literature (online or in a book) that could teach me about what to look for when reading the data stream?

Those aren't large custom mods. They are mild and any tuner worth their salt can handle handle. Well, at least the CAI. The true duals are going to require a master tuner if the cats and O2s are in place. If the tuner can handle blowers, VCT and cam changes, now you're talking about larger mods.

Well, they really aren't earth shattering mods. If its a poorly designed CAI it might run lean, and a code would let them know that, but true duals.... nope.
You're right,they are not large custom mods. But these are two items that the rest of the community can relate too. You see people posting all the time stating they threw on a CAI and did so without a custom tune and they are having issues. Then you see others reply to the original post with such responses as "Woooooh, hey man, you can't be doing stuff like that. Dontcha know you gunna be runnin lean. Getcha a custom tune." My point being the majority of folks know the adverse effects that can be had by not properly making adjustments for a CAI or true dual setup.

Don't count on a tuner giving out detailed information about what they do. Tuners have enough trouble with their competitors reading their tunes and ripping off their R&D, or in the case of the really good tuners, quietly laughing at their competitors mistakes.
I wouldn't expect that. I will now reference this quote from my original post.

I do not expect to get a detailed report but maybe something on the invoice that says based on the specs that you submitted to us we made the following changes i.e. adjusted fuel rail pressure, turned off downstream O2 sensors, changed timing.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My main concern here were the O2s. If they were turned off I did not want to spend the money to plug two holes. Knowing they are still communicating I will pony up the benji's.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I'll respond in no particular order:

1. If you do happen need to plug the holes, ask for O2 bung bolts at any muffler shop (auto parts stores may have them but its not a common part and the guy at the counter may be clueless about what to get). They ought to run a couple of bucks a piece. They bolt right into the O2 ports. I don't recommend using a standard bolt here, because it might not be able to stand the heat.

2. Wasn't questioning PHP's ability. I guess I was questioning what you were looking for and what they brought to the table for you. You answered that in your last post, so thanks.

3. Nowadays most tuners leave the rear sensors on. Used to be a cheater method back in the day, to get things done quickly but some tuners. With the ability to tune for headers and other items impacting downstream O2, most just change the heater duty cycle and transport delays with common values for the application. I'd be about 95% confident he hasn't turned them off.

4. I've never data logged with a Gryphon/Edge. I've used a Dash DAQ, Predator, SCT Raptor, SCT Xcal 2, SCT XCal 3 and HP Tuners to log, its all fairly similar. Basically, you want to look for the either the spark advance value, knock sensor advance, or something named similarly. If it has retard in there, log that as well, and the final spark value. What its called varies by manufacturer but should similar. Go to an area where its fairly flat, straight, no traffic and about 1/2 mile long. Put the truck in 2nd and do a wide open run until about 5000 - 5100 rpm while data logging. Once you've done that, let me know and I'll see if I can work out looking at it. Another thing to data log, optionally, is the open loop flag. That would tell me a couple of things about the tune.

5. There are some intakes which run lean on the 2004-2008 F150, some which don't. Volant's 2nd revision apparently solved the problem (they had a unique flat channel where the MAF is placed). AF1, their standard one did (not their extreme) --- but they recently went out of business. Problem is I'm a little out of data these days on which require changes and which don't. Mike Troyer's dyno'd pretty much all of them, but probably wouldn't take kindly to you bending his ear about it if you bought elsewhere.

Last edited by DigitalMarket; 09-27-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the help. I will follow your advice and get back to you with the information gathered from the data log.

I will hold off on bothering the guys at Troyer. I dont work for free and wouldnt expect them too either.

The CIA I am currently running is a banks. Happy as can be with it too.

For now the upstream sensors are going to get replaced and hold off on dropping another $150 on the rear ones for now.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM
the bolt you need is 18mm i believe

Quick Reply: Mag Cats, O2 sensors and a Gryphon