Programmer, needed first before everything else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmer, needed first before everything else?

So I've been on the forum for a month now and as I've been reading about tuners (finally figured out who Bill/PHP was, dont laugh) and seen different post about what is best to added and what is just for show. I am wondering is it better to get a programmer first, then add intake and exhaust or would it be fine to do it the other way around first?

I'm just looking to get the best for my truck, I love the thing how it is, but the better fuel economy and shifting, etc. sounds amazing though.

So just need opinions!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor
First, welcome to the site. I hope you have deep pockets, because if you spend any time here at all, you'll be tempted to spend too much. Next, to get the most out of many modifications, you'll need to get a custom tune to account for that modification. Exhaust modifications behind the cats don't require a custom tune, but any intake modifications or headers and new cats/deleted cats require a custom tune. So in my opinion, the answer to your question depends on what mods you have planned for the future. You could always start by purchasing a tuner and using the canned tunes that come with it, then add custom tunes once you've completed all the mods you want. If you're planning to have custom tunes in the future, you'll need to make sure you get a tuner that can be custom tuned. Last, if you haven't already, see the sticky at the top of this forum for a ton more information about tuners.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Okay, that was helpful. Thanks! Yes I've read the sticky which definetly helped clear some things up.

Okay so I hear alot about the Evo is that what alot of guys prefer for any particular reason?

Old 10-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake/Exhaust before the tunes, that way Bill can compensate in the case your A/F ratios are off.

Save up and spend the little bit extra for the Gryphon, that way you have peace of mind that your tuner is custom to your specific truck and mods. I just paid to upgrade my Edge to a Gryphon.

Last edited by mblouir; 10-02-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Okay. I'll definetly get that before I think about custom tunes. Honestly thats way down the road, so I'm just looking for something a little extra for the time being. Thanks.

So you cant do custom tunes with the edge?

And another thing how can you tell what gear ratio you have going?

One little edit, where can I get a Gryphon?

Last edited by Phreak; 10-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Nope no custom tunes with the edge. You can make "custom modifications" by going in and changing your gear ratio, tire size, etc, but it's not truly custom. Bill makes each tune custom to your truck. If you've got a CAI, dual exhaust, high-flow cats, etc, he will tune it to match your specific mods.

When I did the upgrade I paid for two custom tunes: 87 performance and 93 performance, with the number referring to what octane you run the truck with.

The Edge programmer is anywhere between $350 and $400 new. The Gryphon is $400 new and it's $30 per custom tune. So you're essentially paying only $30 extra per tune specifically for your truck and mods. Definitely worth it, IMO.

Gryphon for 1997-2003 F150. Click on the left to navigate the site.
http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...e_Vehicle.html

edit-Check your gear ratio by opening your driver's side door and looking at the sticker on the side of it.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:45 AM
How do I get the gryphon installed on the dash?

Only thing else I can think to ask and have been wondering, what does the changing of the gear ratio do to help the truck?

Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got an SCT X3 from VMP!!!

I have stock 07 5.4 xl, and I'm running a custom tune (91 performances) with no problems (well at least for the last 2 hours ) , also am planning to get Intake/Headers & Exhaust next, so as soon as I install them, I think I should request for another tune from Justin VMP...

am happy with the power difference!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Phreak
How do I get the gryphon installed on the dash?

Only thing else I can think to ask and have been wondering, what does the changing of the gear ratio do to help the truck?
Installing it couldn't be easier. It's mounted in a "pod", which sits flush with the left hand side of your dashboard. You run a cable from the back of it, through the fuse box (to hide the wire), and across to your OBDII port located underneath your steering wheel.

If you're running stock gears it won't matter. Just make sure and see if you have 3.55 or 3.73 and you can change that yourself anytime. You'd only have to worry about it being part of the custom tunes if you re-geared to run larger tires and a lift.

Dash-mounted pod with Edge on left. My pod is currently empty while Bill upgrades the Edge to a Gryphon and writes the custom tunes. Looking back I wish I'd have just ordered the Gryphon first....

edit-forgot to mention, the Gryphon is black, so when I get my Edge-->Gryphon upgrade back it will be black inside the pod.

Last edited by mblouir; 10-03-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Okay that was really helpful. Thanks for the insight for when i decide to get that. sweet looking truck by the way.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 PM

No problem, and thank you!

Quick Reply: Programmer, needed first before everything else?