Please clarify!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please clarify!!!

I have an Edge Evolution with the Lightning Software....if I want to run 90 octane gas on Level 3 will this create any problems or do I have to adjust something on the programer? I thought maybe you could set .5 lower or something...

Any help would be great!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw1971
I have an Edge Evolution with the Lightning Software....if I want to run 90 octane gas on Level 3 will this create any problems or do I have to adjust something on the programer? I thought maybe you could set .5 lower or something...

Any help would be great!
Shouldn't cause any problems, that's a pretty minor octane difference. Yes, you might be better off reducing the timing by 0.5 degrees, but that may not even be necessary. What's the elevation where you live? If you're at or above 4,000 ft, I wouldn't worry about reducing the timing at all.

- Jack

Old 10-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Shouldn't cause any problems, that's a pretty minor octane difference. Yes, you might be better off reducing the timing by 0.5 degrees, but that may not even be necessary. What's the elevation where you live? If you're at or above 4,000 ft, I wouldn't worry about reducing the timing at all.

- Jack
Im in Alberta Canada at 2190ft...... whadda' think? re time?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 PM
i'm sure you'll be fine, edge has thought of these things.... like bad gas and what not.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw1971
Im in Alberta Canada at 2190ft...... whadda' think? re time?
Just one more question then, Outlaw. How is your fuel graded? Is it the the "Research" Octane number method, or is it the average between Research and "Motor" octane numbers - the "(R + M) /2" method used throughout the States?

If you have 90 octane gas that's graded using the Research number, it's actually equivalent to 86-87 octane gas here. There's probably something on your gas pumps that will tell you about this. Another tip off that your gas is Research graded will be that your "hi-test" will likely be 95 octane.

However, if your gas is 90 (R + M)/2 octane, at your altitude and temperatures, you should be fine without adjusting timing.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Please clarify!!!