Gryphon Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by AntzFreshWhip
oh..ok i just figure i do my research now before i place the order. 3 days ago i didnt know all this. plus im still tryin to save up a lil more for it to so in the meantime i constantly look it up. how long did you have to wait for it?
This link will download the order form: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...20Signable.pdf

Once they have the form filled out (and your money) Corey tries to send the Gryphon with "canned" tunes to you in about 48 hours. Once you have it, you can send them your PCM's hex code. There's room in the form to put almost any bit of detail you want to add.

I really tried to describe what I wanted in tunes in a separate letter, which I FAX'd to them with my request. I even included a picture of my truck and trailer so Bill would know exactly what I had. I wanted "highway" tunes and I told him where we usually go on trips and what kind of driving we do.

I also got lucky and was able to talk to him over the phone, but he gets calls ALL DAY now, so I don't know how much success you'll have with phone calls.

Your custom tunes will take about 4-6 weeks now I think (please don't hold me to this - it's a bit of a guess). However, in the meantime you can drive your truck with the Gryphon "canned" tunes, and I think you'll like what you experience!

- Jack

Old 10-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok...thanks jack.. what tunes are you running in your truck? i read the options for the levels to choose from on the form, now if i wanted to put the truck to complete stock (before gryphon tuned), do i have to choose that as a level or is it already in the programer? the levels i pick are definately gonna be custom due to the mods i got installed. so im not going to pick STOCK TOW or STOCK PERFORMANCE, correct?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
ok...thanks jack.. what tunes are you running in your truck? i read the options for the levels to choose from on the form, now if i wanted to put the truck to complete stock (before gryphon tuned), do i have to choose that as a level or is it already in the programer? the levels i pick are definately gonna be custom due to the mods i got installed. so im not going to pick STOCK TOW or STOCK PERFORMANCE, correct?
Ugh - I may not be understanding you, but I'll try to answer.

If you want to change one of the "levels" and make it a "custom" tune, NO - you are not going to select "Stock" for that level. (And I think Corey needs to change her wording here, from "Stock" to "Canned" - The Gryphon/Edge tune "levels" are already non-stock, even before being "customized" - they've already been "enhanced" somewhat.)

Canned and Custom tunes are not the "Stock tune" (which is the one that came in the PCM from the factory). They replace the stock tune, and, the PCM can only hold one tune at a time.

When you ask for custom tunes from a tuner, such as PHP, you simply tell that tuner what your truck is and what mechanical mods, if any, that you have. YOU WILL NOT BE PUTTING A NEW TUNE ON TOP OF AN EXISTING, NON-STOCK TUNE! (Sorry for the "shouting".) Your custom tunes are written to support the mechanical mods you have, not your "tune mods". You can think of the "canned tunes" as a "make-do" until you get your custom tunes.

Each custom tune you order for the Gryphon will replace one of the canned tunes that is preloaded in it. I have an 87 economy highway tune in Level 1 and an 87 tow tune in Level 2. The Level 3 tune is still the canned tune and I have never used it, since I've never put high octane gas in my truck.

Hope this makes sense to you!

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 10-26-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Tried to clarify a few points
Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
that answers half of my question. let me put it his way.say i have my gryphon with 2 custom tunes & 1 canned tune .i understand that i obviously use 1 tune at a time with the programer. now a few years from now i want to remove the gryphon as with the tunes. can/will my pcm go back to stock as if i never had the gryphon once i remove it?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
that answers half of my question. let me put it his way.say i have my gryphon with 2 custom tunes & 1 canned tune .i understand that i obviously use 1 tune at a time with the programer. now a few years from now i want to remove the gryphon as with the tunes. can/will my pcm go back to stock as if i never had the gryphon once i remove it?
Yup! All you have to do is program the PCM back to stock! Effortless! (And, it's something you should do if you take the truck to the dealer, sell the truck without the Gryphon, or, just want to see how crappy the stock tune really was).

- Jack

Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 PM
kool...now i got a much better understanding. thanks for your help and patience jack.
now all i got to do is decide on the tunes i want. i know its gonna be 87 custom. i rather not switch fuel levels after i have been using 87 for over 2 years.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
kool...now i got a much better understanding. thanks for your help and patience jack.
now all i got to do is decide on the tunes i want. i know its gonna be 87 custom. i rather not switch fuel levels after i have been using 87 for over 2 years.
I wouldn't either - Get the tune(s) you need. I tow, so I have two tunes.

- Jack

Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
i think i seen it, but not sure, is there an 87 performance tune?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Heys guys just wanted to jump in here a sec..I just today bought a gryphon from Bill and Corey at PHP.I actually bought an edge an hour earlier locally but the Corey returned a message I had left whern they were closed and I cancelled my local order after I asked her the benifits of the gryphon compared to the edge and she informed me of something no one else did.She made note that the canned perfomance tune was a 92 octane..which I sure was mentioned here..but not by my local shop.And she explained the gryphon in terms even I could understand.Its like having a I-Touch or PSP and having it cracked or jail broked to get all the free stuff.Its the SAME unit but once cracked(my words not hers) they can replace or tweek the tunes.No one else made it this clear.Also right now they have a sale going on and you get 30 bucks off..the price of 1 tune.So I bought the gryphon for the SAME price as the edge but replaced the 92 octane canned tune with a 87 performance tune that takes into consideration my cold air intake.My local shop didnt tell me the 92 performance tune was on the lean side which is why you needed the 92 octane..ad in the fact that the K&N cold air intake makes you run a little lean and IF I would gone canned that means I'd end up pinging due to it being lean and worse case senario could burn a valve down the road.Also I saved 28 dollars in local tax so acually I came out way ahead...and if I decide I want another custom tune down the road its ready for it..all for the same price of the edge.Thanks PHP.

Quick Reply: Gryphon Question/Help