Gryphon Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gryphon Question/Help

I've emailed PHP but figured I'd start a new thread to see what you guys think. I had an edge that i upgraded to gryphon and its been pretty good. Had to have tech support once but everything was well after that. Back in July my oil pump decided to quit working and I had to put a "new" used motor in. My truck is an 05 with 5.4 but the "new" motor is an 06. Just last week I tried to put the gryphon back in and I am unable to program but can monitor and check dtcs etc.

I dont know anything about it but I wouldn't figure dropping a new motor in would effect anything unless the computer was reprogrammed right? Somebody school me please!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by BtownFord
I've emailed PHP but figured I'd start a new thread to see what you guys think. I had an edge that i upgraded to gryphon and its been pretty good. Had to have tech support once but everything was well after that. Back in July my oil pump decided to quit working and I had to put a "new" used motor in. My truck is an 05 with 5.4 but the "new" motor is an 06. Just last week I tried to put the gryphon back in and I am unable to program but can monitor and check dtcs etc.

I dont know anything about it but I wouldn't figure dropping a new motor in would effect anything unless the computer was reprogrammed right? Somebody school me please!
I'm sure they reprogrammed your PCM, reflashed it. Now, your Gryphon can not recognize the HEX code. You will need to talk to Bill and he will need to help you get your Gryphon and your PCM back communicating with each other.

Last edited by Bluejay; 10-26-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
And, just to amplify on Bluejay's remarks, your "custom" tunes were married to your old hex code. Bill will have to grant a divorce and remarry you to the new code. (He has to rewrite your tunes). You need to contact him with the new hex code. The easiest way to get it is to unplug the Gryphon, turn the ignition ot ON (engine off) and plug the Gryphon back in.

- Jack

Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I sent email early AM with all the info. I thought the hex looked different. Hopefully he'll get it fixed pretty quick

Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by BtownFord
Thanks for the info guys. I sent email early AM with all the info. I thought the hex looked different. Hopefully he'll get it fixed pretty quick
Keep in mind, they were closing the office to go to SEMA. Not sure of the dates. Corey posted it a few days ago.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
About the gryphon, where do you order them? And what info do they ask for when I call them?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by AntzFreshWhip
About the gryphon, where do you order them? And what info do they ask for when I call them?
www.powerhungryperformance.com

Been so long since I ordered, the form has been revised, I'm sure. Bet they have it posted on their site. Things like what mods you have tor will be adding and what are you wanting, more economy or more performance. I made sure that they knew I wanted to be able to downshift at almost any speed. Of course, you have to tell what vehicle, engine, gears you have. And eventually your HEX code. These are all things for the custrom tunes.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Now when you say downshifting, I assume you have a manual tranny right? Cuz I know people who downshift with automatic when towing on hill upgrades. And what's hex code?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Now when you say downshifting, I assume you have a manual tranny right? Cuz I know people who downshift with automatic when towing on hill upgrades. And what's hex code?
No, Bluejay was talking about an automatic and wanting it to drop down at least one gear when he steps on it (perhaps to pass) regardless of what speed he's at. (He probably wouldn't want it to downshift if he was already at 90 mph, but some vehicles are set up so they won't downshift at 70 mph, and he'd want it to drop into 3rd gear then, for more passing power).

The hex code is the identification of the program that's stored in your truck's PCM. You won't know what it is until you get your programmer. Then, when you first plug it in, it's the first thing that appears on the screen. Have a pencil and paper handy so you can write it down.

- Jack

Old 10-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh. I gotchya.. I do feel that in my truck, if I'm going up a hill doing about 50, it won't downshift sometimes therefore lacking on power. Even on level land if I'm cruising at a certain speed and go to floor it, it doesn't downshift and takes forever to accelerate. Is this where the custom tunes would improve that??

Old 10-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Oh. I gotchya.. I do feel that in my truck, if I'm going up a hill doing about 50, it won't downshift sometimes therefore lacking on power. Even on level land if I'm cruising at a certain speed and go to floor it, it doesn't downshift and takes forever to accelerate. Is this where the custom tunes would improve that??
With my stock tune, I was going to get run over on our freeways and two lane highways. You pull out to pass at 55 and floorboard it and you could run almost as fast on foot. No downshift and just way too slow acceleration. The Edge canned level 3 was an improvement, but there were still dead spots. So, one of my requests to Bill was that it downshift at almost any speed. He did that. When you run along at 60, 65, on these freeways, there are times you need to kick it and go, just to get out of the way. There is one such place I cross every morning going to work. You enter a 4 lane freeway with heavy traffic running 65 mph, with a Y you need to take that is about 100 yards from your entrance ramp. You have to accelerate in a hurry to get in the "holes" to cross over.

Similar on hilly two lane roads. When you need to pass, you don't want to be sitting around wanting it to go, you have to go.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Global Moderator &

In a word - yup!

- Jack

Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Kool. So I guess when I order mine, il have to specify that guess, that I want that tune. Do I have to order it through their order form, cuz I rather do it over over the phone where ii can specify and they can make sure of it and explain anything to me.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Kool. So I guess when I order mine, il have to specify that guess, that I want that tune. Do I have to order it through their order form, cuz I rather do it over over the phone where ii can specify and they can make sure of it and explain anything to me.
Jack can answer maybe, but when I ordered mine, they wanted it written. I wrote extra stuff, just so there was a good understanding, and faxed it to them.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM
oh..ok i just figure i do my research now before i place the order. 3 days ago i didnt know all this. plus im still tryin to save up a lil more for it to so in the meantime i constantly look it up. how long did you have to wait for it?

Quick Reply: Gryphon Question/Help