edge programmer performace level question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge programmer performace level question

i was reading the manual to the 97-03 edge programmer and it said you HAVE to use the 91 octane gas for the performance level tune. is this true???

will the little difference in gas really make a difference or will i hurt my ingine by using unleaded gas?

thanks
justin

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by justinj702
i was reading the manual to the 97-03 edge programmer and it said you HAVE to use the 91 octane gas for the performance level tune. is this true???

will the little difference in gas really make a difference or will i hurt my ingine by using unleaded gas?

thanks
justin
Uh - Justin, the 91+ octane Performance tune (Level 3) DOES expect you to use gas with an anti-knock rating of at least 91. This is all tied up in the resistance to "detonation" (pre-ignition) of the higher octane fuels. THEY ARE NOT BETTER OR MORE POWERFUL!

The 91+ Level 3 tune has timing advanced and fueling that is set up for the burn characteristics of the high octane fuels. It is NOT a good idea to run a lower octane fuel in this tune, even if you retard the spark. There are other things you cannot change that are not good for the engine. If you are using a 91+ octane tune, DO NOT use 89 or 87 octane gas.

ALL gas is unleaded now in the States. Even 91 or 93 octane gas.

- Jack

Quick Reply: edge programmer performace level question