$89-Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile $89-Need Some Advice

I'll make this short and get right to the point, please offer any advice. This is an 05 F150 with and Edge Programmer.

The truck was taken to dealer w/o returning the truck to stock tune. The truck was on level 2. The truck was reflashed and we all know this is bad news. The truck came home in stock tune with the Edge reading level 2. Like an idiot, I put the edge back to stock tune. The truck did not crank of course. The truck was taken back to the dealership, entire ECU had been erased and the stock tune was re-loaded (for 89 bucks) and now everything is fine and stock. I don't want to have to go through that again!

Question: Can I use my edge now? Is it just like this never happened, and can I just plug the edge up and proceed as normal i.e. load my tune back on? Is the Edge now damaged in some way, or unusable?

Thanks a lot for taking a look!
BT

Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
One more thing. I am calling edge anyway on Monday, I just was hoping someone out there might be able to give a good answer this weekend sometime.
Have a good one!
BT

Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I would proceed with calling Edge before I would hook it up to my truck. I bet anything, your edge will not work. They can get it fixed for you but its going to cost ya.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 PM
If they re programmed your factory ECU with the factory settings, your edge will now copy those settings and store it, and replace it with its own settings for whichever tune you choose, rather economy, towing/transmission, 92 performance. You are good to go. Just follow the directions of the Edge programmer and you will be OK. No need to contact edge. The only reason that would not work is if, when they reburned your ecu, that the setting caused the edge go in lock mode because it could not recognize. If you plug your edge in, and its unlocked. You WILL be ok.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Suspended
I'm saying NO the edge will not tune your truck. You may be able to get the guys at Edge to unlock the unit via the Fusion software but they may have you send it in. When the truck was flashed the Edge tune was lost and the programmer should be "vin locked" If you hook it up and it works though, good for you. Post back some results.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:18 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
the edge has to be reprogrammed (or now is the perfect time to have it converted to a gryphon)

*edit*

it's gonna cost you more than the $89 you originally thought

Last edited by stoffer; 11-08-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I always wondered about that. Ive brought my 05 in to the dealer with it set to stock, and when I picked it up it was on level 3. I made the service manager aware of this. I was running level 3 myself, so I did have a tank full of 93. But if I hadnt they could have caused problems.

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jon Bourget
I always wondered about that. Ive brought my 05 in to the dealer with it set to stock, and when I picked it up it was on level 3. I made the service manager aware of this. I was running level 3 myself, so I did have a tank full of 93. But if I hadnt they could have caused problems.
looks like the person at the dealership who drove it to see if it was ok to return to you wanted to have a little fun!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You've made 3 mistakes.

1. Never take it to a dealer with a tune loaded, you just discovered why.

2. If the PCM is reflashed, you should never try to download a tune, as the Edge already has your original stock tune and will only get confused with a second stock tune. You must call Edge and get them to unlock it, clear out the tune you have sitting in the 0 position.

3. You should never circumvent the language filter, regardless of your frustration. Especially in a title.

Last edited by Bluejay; 11-08-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Please excuse my language Bluejay. I'll let ya'll know what ended up happening Monday.

Thanks for the replies,
BT

Old 11-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Bassterror84
Please excuse my language Bluejay. I'll let ya'll know what ended up happening Monday.

Thanks for the replies,
BT
No problem. good luck.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
funny thing - had my van flashed other day to solve issue with cel coming on for 10 seconds and going out , also my gauges would be dead for 10 seconds then power up,this was every time after a start,put my xcal 2 in - returned to stock before they did flash, after getting my truck back was able to run all my custom tunes still-so, explain to me why...

Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
funny thing - had my van flashed other day to solve issue with cel coming on for 10 seconds and going out , also my gauges would be dead for 10 seconds then power up,this was every time after a start,put my xcal 2 in - returned to stock before they did flash, after getting my truck back was able to run all my custom tunes still-so, explain to me why...
That is strange. It would seem to be possible, only if the reflash was the same HEX as you had to start with.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
jim, that's what i was thinking,i'll have to dig up my original stategy and compare to onbe i retrieved after i got my van back-phil

Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
That is strange. It would seem to be possible, only if the reflash was the same HEX as you had to start with.
I agree!
This is like the 4th one I have ran across.
Wonder why the dealers are using the same hex or are they tweeking something in the calibration code itself?

Quick Reply: $89-Need Some Advice