XCal 3 transmission program

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XCal 3 transmission program

Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 FX4 and I'm thinking of ordering an XCal 3 with custom tunes. I am not as much interested in extra engine performance as I am in the operation of the transmission. I've read a lot about firmer shifts but what happens after that. Can I have my XCal tuned so that it will give me the firmer shift combined with a simultaneous lockup of the torque converter under fairly heavy acceleration?

Thanks in advance

Ford One

Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford One
Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 FX4 and I'm thinking of ordering an XCal 3 with custom tunes. I am not as much interested in extra engine performance as I am in the operation of the transmission. I've read a lot about firmer shifts but what happens after that. Can I have my XCal tuned so that it will give me the firmer shift combined with a simultaneous lockup of the torque converter under fairly heavy acceleration?

Thanks in advance

Ford One
I doubt you'd really want that, since it would pull your engine RPMs down suddenly which would put a lot of stress on the mechanicals. But, the X3 can certainly adjust the transmission pretty much any way you want (other than actual ISS/OSS ratios).

- Jack

Old 12-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the quick response Jack. So would I be able to fine tune the torque converter lockup myself or would I have to rely on the professional tuners to make the changes each time?

Ford One

Old 12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack is right, you will not be happy with the approach you propose. What transmission do you have?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Thanks for the quick response Jack. So would I be able to fine tune the torque converter lockup myself or would I have to rely on the professional tuners to make the changes each time?

Ford One
This, I don't have an answer for, since I don't have an X3. In a Gryphon, you can make small personal adjustments to the TC lock/unlock strategy.

- Jack

Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Ford One
The lock schedule is part of the tune and not a user adjustable setting.
I had Troyer tunes back when and I liked the lock schedule he used. The converter lock ups were more noticeable as if there were a couple of extra gears added to the trans. Good drivability.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys

Windsor I have the 4R70W I believe.

Onelowf, I like the sound of that.

Back in the early 60s, GM made a transmission called the turbo hydromatic. They used it in the Olds, Cadilac and Pontiac. It locked up firmlybetwen each shift with no slipage until it shifted into the next gear. It was a very nice feel - almost like having a standard tranny without having to shift. Anyone remember those transmissions?

Ford One

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Ford One

#2 look into a shift kit

#3 if you get a tuning device just get a towing tune and it should better your drivability

Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 PM
You can get a much firmer shift if you install Troyer's valve body. It's way more effective then going through the pcm. Some are using the Factory Tech separator plate as a cheaper alternative.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM
The valve body or separator plate mod is the way to go. I found that my shifts were too harsh with the valve body and needed a retune to get it right.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys for the response.

Windsor I like that idea. Are you saying that I can use the Valve body or separator plate mod in place of the Xcal 3? Where do I find these mods?

OnelowF I definately don't want harsher shifts. I just want the torque converter to lock up quickly and stay locked between shifts. Stock converter lockup pops out under light load. I want it to remain locked under heavier loads. See what I'm saying. Which mod will do the trick best, separator plate or valve body.

Ford One

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Actually, the PCM dictates lock and unlock, shift and downshift, and can only be changed using a programmer. I still don't think you want it to lock like you're suggesting. You do understand that once locked, that the engine can't get more rpm, hence more torque. The lock schedule in my old Bronco was like that. Once it shifted into 4th, it would pull the rpm down to 1,600 rpm and you had to give it a lot of throttle to make it downshift. With a cam and heads, this gave horrible performance. I was finally able to get a program that allowed access to change the shift parameters and made the truck a whole lot more fun to drive.

Maybe you could give us an example of what you're referring to as opposed to locking up the converter, because I think you're trying to achieve something else. Are you saying it downshifts too easily? Converter lockup is not allowing the converter to stall at all. Not a good thing when you're trying to accelerate slowly and you're out of the torque band. For example, you're cruising at 2,000 rpm in overdrive and go up a steep incline. If the converter is locked it stays at 2,000 rpm. If the programming is correct, as you give it more throttle the converter unlocks and the rpm goes up to 2,400 rpm. If you apply more throttle, it downshifts to third, it will jump up to 3,000 rpm. Which scenario are you trying to achieve is this example?

I would suggest both programmer and the valve body. Check out Troyer Perfromance for the valve body. Their turn around for custom tuning is somewhat slow.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Windsor, thanks for the quick reply.

In stock configuration lets say I am in third gear with the overdrive switched off and I'm crusing along at 40mph. The TC is locked. The engine is under no strain. If I press on the accelerator just a little the lockup is released and rpm slops around and if I press harder it will downshift into second gear and if I let up on the accelerator the TC will again lockup.

I want the TC to stay locked when I apply fuel - not completely so that it won't downshift to second but substantially more so than stock. It would like it to downshift to second under harder acceleration and then when it shifts to third, lockup again and stay locked up under light to moderate acceleration. Only under heavy acceleration would it release the TC lockup. To me the transmission just feels too sloppy when the TC is not engaged-rpm fluctuates several by hundred. In otherwords I want it to hold the lockup when more fuel is applied but unlock only if I stomp on it. Will I need both the pcm tunned (XCal 3) and either the valve body or the separator plate mod to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Ford One, what you are describing was exactly my feeling in my truck. I didn't understand what you were asking for in your original post. Another member said it this way, "The engine still has power left in it and the TC is unlocking before it needs to", or words to that effect.

I'm used to driving manual shift vehicles and I don't find a slight "lug" objectionable at all. That's the feel I wanted in my truck.

I was able to get this feel using my Gryphon's part throttle up and downshift adjustments as well as the part throttle TC unlock and lockup adjustments. In all cases, I simply reduced the point where each took place, so that the upshift and TC lockup occurred sooner on part throttle acceleration, and downshift and unlock occurred less quickly under mild load.

I have no idea if the X3 has these user adjustable settings.

However, if you tell your tuner what you are looking for, he can build this behavior into your tune. And it may take a couple of tries to get it exactly the way you want it. These changes have no effect on your WOT up and downshifts. You still have all the power you need for passing or burning up your tires from a standing start!

- Jack

Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Jack,

Does this mean i can do achieve this effect without the use of the separater plate or valve body modifications previously recommended?

The gryphon sounds good and I'm not completely set on the XCal 3. I'm not real familiar with the gryphon although I've heard a lot of good things about them. The thing I'm opposed to in the Gryphon is that you have to mount the devise on the dash. Is this correct or do they make a model that is a remote?

Thanks again

Ford One

Quick Reply: XCal 3 transmission program