help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help

i recently went from stock 275/65/18's to a 295/70/18 on my truck. my speedo is off i know. i do plan on puttin in 4.10's as soon as i can afford it to get the axle ratios back to stock and get back the horses i lost with the bigger tires. what kind of chip or tuner should i get to reset evrything in the computer and just how does all this work? i will be very grateful for any help. thanks alot and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
just get a custom tuned tuner

Xcal3 / livewire / gryphon or Diablo

Old 12-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
X2 on the custom tuned programmer. You'll be able to reset your tire size and gear ratio (if you change that too) whenever you upload a custom tune. It's a simple, menu-driven process. You just have to know your tire's revs/mile or the tire circumference in millimeters. Most tire manufacturers will publish the revs/mile figure. You can divide that number into 1609344 (a mile in millimeters) to determine the tire circumference.

- Jack

Old 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM
so when i buy this is this somethin i do all myself or how does all this work?...dont mean to sound difficult...just hope these are simple

Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
It's VERY simple! If you tell your tuner your tire size and gear ratio, he should include that in your tunes and you won't have to do anything (if he's any good). If you conceal that information from him, he'll build your tunes with the OEM gear ratio and tire size and you'll have to change it yourself, when you load a tune. This is probably something a 4th grader could do with no problem, so, if you're beyond that level....

Seriously, I'm not putting you down. This is NOT rocket science! It is easy stuff. People who haven't graduated from High School can do it, as long as they can follow simple directions.

- Jack

Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
thanks Jack....i hope im smarter than a 4th grader...lmao...i'll check into one of these,,,cost, etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by LawmanFX4
thanks Jack....i hope im smarter than a 4th grader...lmao...i'll check into one of these,,,cost, etc.
I'm glad you didn't take it as a "put down", since it honestly was not meant that way. But, you're not the first person to feel sort of "like a fish out of water"? when it comes to these things.

Really, take the time to read the instruction manual that comes with the programmer and, poke around in this forum. You'll find a wealth of information here that will help to fill in some blank spots in the manual.

And, if something is still not clear, just ask! We work very hard to answer people's questions here, unlike some other forums.

I was somewhat nervous about getting a programmer before I finally gave in and spent the money. But, I couldn't stand the crappy way the truck shifted when I wanted to pass someone, and the crappy gas mileage, etc.... So, I got one and have never looked back. Like Bluejay, another happy programmer owner on this forum, I think it's the best money I've spent upgrading my truck.

- Jack

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Read through the sticky's at the top of the forum.
Top 3 tuners websites listed in my sig and the programmers they sell have a pretty good support around here.