In a tight spot guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a tight spot guys

Ok, I want a programmer so bad right now, my truck is a 98 4.6 5spd 4x4 with 35's on it. Stock 3:55 gears.

First question i want to know....

Is my truck too old and worn to handle a programmer? It has 230K on the odo
The engine runs fine but uses some oil.

Second? What is the best programmer for this truck? I just want somethin mild, enough to feel a difference, and one that i can read trouble codes from.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Triton_98
Ok, I want a programmer so bad right now, my truck is a 98 4.6 5spd 4x4 with 35's on it. Stock 3:55 gears.

First question i want to know....

Is my truck too old and worn to handle a programmer? It has 230K on the odo
The engine runs fine but uses some oil.

Second? What is the best programmer for this truck? I just want somethin mild, enough to feel a difference, and one that i can read trouble codes from.
I don't know that your truck is "too old", but I sure wouldn't be putting a programmer in it until you fix whatever is wrong with it. The programmer cannot fix any of the problems it has, and, you'll probably feel compelled to rush out and race it once you load a program, which is going to put additional stress on things.

Really, though, looking at your mileage I'd be thinking strongly about getting a newer, late model truck. My Wife and I have both bought several vehicles this way, from "local" individual sellers (not used-car lots) and the results have been uniformly GOOD! We look for vehicles about 2-3 years old, that would qualify as "excellent" under the KBB definition. Buying this way, we don't pay any tax on the sale and we save a ton on depreciation. You could keep your old truck as a "beater" to haul manure or something.

- Jack

Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 AM
230,000 miles is a lot of miles for any vehicle. Does this vehicle still have the original motor, transmission, differentials, etc? Good maintenance record? First owner? etc... I mean if the truck is in great condition and has been maintained well I don't see an issue getting a programmer for it. If that's the case than I'd recommend the SCT Xcal3 custom tuned by VMP Tuning. It'll give you more power, better driveability, better mileage, and the ability to read codes on all Ford vehicles with a ODBII port. Also, if you're set on keeping this truck than I'd consider upgrading the gears to better support those 35s. I think I'd be highly considering upgrading to a newer truck and not spending the money though..

Old 12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
I say go for it and when the engine goes drop a creat in it.

Quick Reply: In a tight spot guys