Hypertech???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypertech???

No one seems to mention these tuners. Why?? Are they not of the quality of the ones mentioned here?

Thanks for any input.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't like taking a dump on products that I am not acquainted with personally. However, jsut from what I have read, the ability of these tuners (Hypertechs) is not as good as say those of SCT and Gryphon/Edge. I think a good tuner makes a world of difference and I am witnessing that now myself first hand with the purchase of my Gryphon. I think you need to look at what exactly you are looking for. I chose the Gryphon because I talked to Bluejay and JackandJanet about it multiple times and received immeasurable amounts of feedback on it. I think most people should consider a tuner but more so one that is custom tuned. It takes full advantage of the modifications that you have decided to do on your truck. CAI's exhuasts, pulleys, and other such performance mods make some difference on stock trucks, but they really require to be included in the truck's PCM tune because what they add is not fully taken advantage of without custom tuning. I have seen cases where people get rid of the Hypertech, but I am sure there are those that love it. It is obviously up to you, but I read many threads and you take the results with a grain of salt. Based on my readings, and I mean close to a year of reading, the Hypertech is not as effective as some of the other tuners.

I would get the Gryphon if you want the gauges. The Edge comes with canned tunes (tranny, towing, performance) which are meant to work with stock trucks. The Gryphon comes with the canned tunes as well but the beauty of this unit is that it can be custom tuned (up to 3 tunes). The SCT Livewire has the gauges as well but it more expensive but appears to be a nice product.

The Diablo predator is another option as is the SCT Xcal 3. Give them a search and read what people have said about them.

Hope that helps man

Old 12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't say those other programmers are not good.
But why the gryphon and xcal are so popular here is that they can be custom tuned. Yes they can have canned/generic tunes on them just like the hypertech but they also can have modified tunes added to them to fit your truck and its mods that may require it.
So if you are going to leave your truck stock then go with a programmer that cannot be custom tuned. But if mods that require custom tunes are in your future then get a programmer that can have them. Why spend more than you have to?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used to have the hypertech power progammer III. i now have the xcal with custom 87 octane perfermance tune. i only have exhaust and an intake and the power difference between a canned and custom tune is deffinatly noticable. also my hypertech said it unlocked top speed limiter which it didnt, and my xcal does. the hypertech was good and isnt a bad programmer, u just get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Hypertech???