7 months and counting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's Carpenter at?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you believe he builds every tune from scratch, I have some beachfront property on Grand Ilse to sell you, that BP just cleaned up this morning. Advantage allows you to save specific parameters that would be generic to almost all tunes that can be imported into any new tune. Same applies to a parameters for a CAI, transmission functions, etc.

If he's not using that feature, he could be working a lot smarter. Granted you'd have to check your work when it's done, but Advantage also has a comparison feature that compares every parameter in the tune to the stock PCM.

What's wrong with a business model that provides payment to you a year before you do the work? I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. Now just drink the cool aid.... It's good for you..... Can't you just feel that refreshment?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Where's Carpenter at?
May be stalking you and your @ssclown buddy, keep looking over your shoulder !

Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry, I just have to reply to some of the posters in this thread. I may offend some of them with this post, but, as I said, I am sorry.

To JMC: Yes, i have waited at a fancy restaurant for a good meal, but when I ask the maitre 'd how long, and he says XX minutes, and it has been XX + YY minutes, I'll ask how much longer. If I get this song and dance more than twice, I'll go elsewhere, even to Denny's if necessary. I WILL NOT put up with being strung along by anyone; it is pi$$ poor customer service.

To others: Until Mike Troyer can part Chesapeake Bay and walk across the bottom without getting mud on his shoes, he is not a god. When Mike Troyer can snap his fingers and cause me to have to put chains on to get around Phoenix, AZ in the middle of summer, then I'll consider him a god. There are other people out there that can provide a comparable service to Mike Troyer, and they provide it in a timely fashion, without stringing the customer along like many in this thread have gone through.

What Mike Troyer needs to do is see this thread and respond to it, and explain to me and others why it is taking him so much longer than others to write custom tunes. Mike should also tell us why his staff continues to string people along with the "6 to 8 weeks" bull manure, when he knows it is taking him 6 to 8 months or more. If that is his idea of proper customer service, then he has a problem in his business model.

When I took business classes in high school and college, we had the following rules hammered into us until we could recite them verbatim:

1. If not you, who? If you are not going to serve your customers, who will? The model we were given about competition was McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.

2. If not now, when? If you are not going to take care of the customer now, when will you take care of the customer? And if you give them a time frame of when you will take care of them, will you take of them by then?

3. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

4. Bad word of mouth about your quality of service is like a small fire: If you can control and contain the fire, great, but if it is allowed to burn out of control, you and your business will get burned.

Unfortunately, it seems as if Mike Troyer has either forgotten these good rules of business practice, or chooses to ignore them in his business model.

Again, I apologize if I have offended anyone with this post.

Last edited by AZ Mr. Bill; 05-28-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added 'unfortunately' sentence and final apology.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by AZ Mr. Bill
I'm sorry, I just have to reply to some of the posters in this thread. I may offend some of them with this post, but, as I said, I am sorry.

To JMC: Yes, i have waited at a fancy restaurant for a good meal, but when I ask the maitre 'd how long, and he says XX minutes, and it has been XX + YY minutes, I'll ask how much longer. If I get this song and dance more than twice, I'll go elsewhere, even to Denny's if necessary. I WILL NOT put up with being strung along by anyone; it is pi$$ poor customer service.

To others: Until Mike Troyer can part Chesapeake Bay and walk across the bottom without getting mud on his shoes, he is not a god. When Mike Troyer can snap his fingers and cause me to have to put chains on to get around Phoenix, AZ in the middle of summer, then I'll consider him a god. There are other people out there that can provide a comparable service to Mike Troyer, and they provide it in a timely fashion, without stringing the customer along like many in this thread have gone through.

What Mike Troyer needs to do is see this thread and respond to it, and explain to me and others why it is taking him so much longer than others to write custom tunes. Mike should also tell us why his staff continues to string people along with the "6 to 8 weeks" bull manure, when he knows it is taking him 6 to 8 months or more. If that is his idea of proper customer service, then he has a problem in his business model.

When I took business classes in high school and college, we had the following rules hammered into us until we could recite them verbatim:

1. If not you, who? If you are not going to serve your customers, who will? The model we were given about competition was McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.

2. If not now, when? If you are not going to take care of the customer now, when will you take care of the customer? And if you give them a time frame of when you will take care of them, will you take of them by then?

3. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

4. Bad word of mouth about your quality of service is like a small fire: If you can control and contain the fire, great, but if it is allowed to burn out of control, you and your business will get burned.

Unfortunately, it seems as if Mike Troyer has either forgotten these good rules of business practice, or chooses to ignore them in his business model.

Again, I apologize if I have offended anyone with this post.
We'll said Bill, even if the circumstances are out of Mike's control, a simple explanation would at least put our minds at rest and give us some sort of answer. Especially if we have been as patient with him as we have been, waiting for nearly a year.... the least we are owed at this point is an explanation.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
May be stalking you and your @ssclown buddy, keep looking over your shoulder !
threats? big man on the internet.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Windsor
If you believe he builds every tune from scratch, I have some beachfront property on Grand Ilse to sell you, that BP just cleaned up this morning. Advantage allows you to save specific parameters that would be generic to almost all tunes that can be imported into any new tune. Same applies to a parameters for a CAI, transmission functions, etc.

If he's not using that feature, he could be working a lot smarter. Granted you'd have to check your work when it's done, but Advantage also has a comparison feature that compares every parameter in the tune to the stock PCM.

What's wrong with a business model that provides payment to you a year before you do the work? I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. Now just drink the cool aid.... It's good for you..... Can't you just feel that refreshment?
+1
I think we've been here before Windsor. I use Advantage as well, so the mystique escapes me.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:08 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
And to dispel another false statement, there is no 6 weeks wait, either - (though there have been a few who waited a good while due to issues such as undocumented reflashes, etc.) - for example, right now we are at 12 business days as of today, from the time we receive our customer's CPW's (Custom Program Worksheets) back until the time the tuning is done and is ready to ship out the door - right now that is 12 business days. Just as we said 2 weeks ago, when we pointed out that it was 14 business days as of the date of that post, and told everyone it would go up a few days due to the holidays - which it did - and is now back down to 12 business days as of the units that ship out today.
How things have changed.........................

Old 05-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Just to point out one small fact, Mike does more than just write custom tunes for people who request them over the internet. Because he is so respected, I'm sure he does a lot of live tuning (which takes a lot of time) and, as you can see, he has a thriving business that has to take a good deal of hands-on attention to keep running smoothly.

I'm not trying to make excuses here and I agree, he COULD be more "upfront" about the wait times, but I suspect it is what it is for those other reasons.

Nothing I'm saying here is meant to detract from AZ Mr. Bill's thoughtful post.

- Jack

Old 05-29-2010, 02:12 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Now, anyone in the know about this? Let's say I wanted to make an appointment to take my truck to his shop for tuning. How long is the lead time, and how long will he have the truck? Does he honor his appointments, or will he say he's too busy and come back some other time?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I haven't been on the forum for almost a year. But it sure is funny to see the same old stuff happening from the same guy. What's even funnier is to see the same lemmings still defending him. I don't care who you are or what you're selling. 6 months is ridiculous and there is absolutely no excuse. I waited 3 months for mine. Fortunately I had them deliver the programmer first. So after a month of waiting I figured why not try a VMP. What an injustice. VMP tune worked better and I got it in 2 weeks. Needless to say I was ticked off that I spent the money on the hardware with Mike. He didn't deserve the business.

What's even worse is if you have problems with the tune. Try getting technical support. Ha, what a joke.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Threads like this will be here for a long time.

TP isn't going to change his business practices because a limited number of folks complain on a forum. Heck, it sounds like his business model works pretty darn well. It seems to me that he has work scheduled for a long period of time, especially if some folks are waiting over 6 months.

If you don't like his service, go elsewhere. Plain and simple.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 AM
It is fairly well understood from all on the forum that if you purchase custom tunes from Troyer that you *WILL* wait. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong. I'm not saying that it is good or bad business practice. It is what it is. With that said, I decided last spring to buy an airaid and a tuner/custom tunes from Troyer. While I did have to wait longer than I had anticipated, the end result kicks ***. I spoke with Mike Troyer twice, and to say he is passionate about what he does is an understatement. He has probably forgotten more about tuning our trucks than most will ever know.

Every month a new thread is started about this same subject. It's beating a dead horse. There are plenty of tuners out there, and every one would be happy to work with any of us. I decided to go with Troyer. Was I happy with the wait? NO. Am I happy with the end-result? Hell Yes!

It is what it is ladies, lets move on.

On a side note, one of my friends had his truck tuned at a speed shop, all other things being equal, between our trucks, I can beat him off the line every time with my custom 87 performance tune, and I even have slightly larger size tires.

mikebaby

Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Nothing is going to change about Troyers custom tunes, until people stop buying them. At present, peope continue to buy from him and wait 7 months, therefore he has no reason to change anything. Its really that simple. Personally, when I have the money, I will have a hard time waiting for whatever tune I buy. I will weigh the pros and cons. If Troyer really wants more buisness, he could probably charge double and people would pay it if the weight was not so long.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Unless he tunes for paint color and air freshener scent, how could he not have base files to go off of for tuning particular set ups? I mean if he tunes for so many people he has to have seen similar set ups, at least you would think. Of course his magic might depend on the relation of the earth to the sun at a certain part of the day as well...
I guess thats one advantage to owning a diesel. The longest I've waited was 1 week, and the shortest I've waited was about 2mins.

Quick Reply: 7 months and counting...