7 months and counting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I think he means he got it from "Tuning by James". I think he cancelled the Troyer order.
Spot on... I canceled my order with Troyer, I received all 3 of my tunes from James yesterday. I loaded the 87 Performance into my truck and am noticing a slightly more responsive low end, but the mid range at this point seems to not be as noticeable. It doesn't hesitate as much but still not as much pep as I expected. He said that he will work with me until I'm completely happy, now I just gotta figure out what to tell him to get what I need you know lol. any Suggestions on how to compare these new tunes with the stock to get an idea about what I can expect to get from the truck with a safe tune?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the older 2v motors, there's only so much you can get out of these trucks. More timing which is going to necessitate higher octane is about your only option. Is your truck stock otherwise?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 PM
All I have for mods on it are the gotts-intake (K&N drop in) and Flowmaster cat-backs, otherwise it is stock. So are you saying that the best I can do is to run 90 oct fuel with the 90 oct tune? Right now I noticed a few time when WOT from 2nd gear I believe that it would rev near 5k before switching.... I'm not sure if this was every time, its not perfectly consistent, but it did something similar with the stock tune. I believe I also noticed last night that I am able to maintain 60mph at lower RPMs.... Before I recall it maintaining 1900-2100 at 60mph, now its about 1500-1600, i'd imagine this could equate to better gas mileage?

I wish I could break down what changes he made to the files and compare it to what others have had changed that they were happy with to get a better understanding of what has/should be done with the tune files.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Okay, I ran it on the stock program on 87oct for a week, then switched back to the 91oct custom tune today. Yeah, there's a difference. A goood difference.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Heheh, good to hear Chipper. I've been using the 90 Oct performance tune......

I feel somewhat stupid, but at the same time... not. So after getting my tunes from James, which were pretty decent.... I received the tunes from Troyer too.... Thats right, I've got doubles of the same freaking tunes. The 90 Oct Troyer performance is especially nice in its shift points. However with both tunes I can feel hesitation at certain intervals that are sometimes there, other times not, its very slight. It feels to be roughly the same point as before (stock) only a lot more smoothed out. I've also noticed that pinning it from a standstill is actually not the best way to get the truck up to speed or to accelerate very fast :P. I'd say that the Troyer tune is a bit more refined according to the butt dyno, although I'll have to say I did expect a bit more all around from a tuner. I can't vouch for fuel mileage either as I've been enjoying the pinning of the pedal lately on the highway, the truck passes with MUCH more ease now.

Anyone interested in a comparison of the James and Troyer tunes? I'd be interested to know how close they are and see what sort of work each tuner really put into it. Let me know how you'd like to go about test them (data logging... reading the file if you have the software) ect.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 AM
all ears here Haemon

Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipper
Okay, I ran it on the stock program on 87oct for a week, then switched back to the 91oct custom tune today. Yeah, there's a difference. A goood difference.
Good to hear!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I can already see the next title for this thread, 9 months and counting. HAHA. Sucks, I feel for ya.

Quick Reply: 7 months and counting...