Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great news. Those are some impressive gains with the intakes on the 09-10s. Everyone on here swears by the stock intake, I believe the data you posted will leave all of them scratching their heads.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott,
Are these theoretical gains or dyno results?

If they are dyno, could you please post a link to the dyno sheets for

1) The gains over stock (i.e., programmer only)
2) The intake gains (programmer plus intake)

Also, if they are dyno, does SC happen to have good photos of the typical set-up for the dyno? Is the hood open? Are there fans used to cool the engine during the pulls? Is each run done at the same ambient and engine operating temperature?

Do these tunes and gains apply to all PCM calibration codes?

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Heres a video of the Raptor with the 5.4 in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdanvQdJSY. HP gains are from 3500 up and torque is pretty much increased through out the entire band. Looks like the hood is open with fans. I have seen tests done in person when comparing hood up and down and there were differences but they were minimal.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Scott,
So what your saying is those CAI gains are on top of the 38hp and 57lb/ft TQ that the programmer already makes? Let me know if I'm correct, so my 2010 5.4 with a K&N CAI combined with the super-chips programmer will create 49HP and 85 lb/ft TQ?

Shotgun
If super-chips are able to do this with a canned tune don't you think PHP's gryphon should be able to destroy these numbers with a custom tune when they become available for the 09+?

Last edited by Joe_Cool; 08-01-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
This is great news. Those are some impressive gains with the intakes on the 09-10s. Everyone on here swears by the stock intake, I believe the data you posted will leave all of them scratching their heads.
Not really. You are leaving out that the Gotts type mod to the stock intake. After you do the mod, the stock intake is does very near what the aftermarket intakes do, and from those reported results, better than some.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe_Cool
Shotgun
If super-chips are able to do this with a canned tune don't you think PHP's gryphon should be able to destroy these numbers with a custom tune when they become available for the 09+?
Great question.

"Destroy" might be a bit strong, but Bill is one helluva tuner, so who knows? Recall that they gained 7.5 HP and 7.6 Ft./Lbs by just removing the snorkel (with a tuner).

The main reason I asked for the dyno sheets is so I can compare SuperChips to Edge/Gryphon (initial results).

I also want to see the set-up and testing protocol to make sure the results are obtainable under normal driving conditions.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah probably not destroy but should have marginal gains over super-chips canned tunes. It will be nice once we are able to even get comparisons of the edge/gryphon with anything else...but who knows when that will happen.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
How do you all figure the Gryphon will make more power than the Superchips tuner. It will all come down to who wants to be more aggressive with the tuning. Superchips specifically made a tune to work with a specific intake and a specific truck, this is a custom tune. How will the gryphon be any different? You say the Gryphon is custom, well whats so custom about it? Bill doesnt have your truck there so he wont be able to write a tune that gets the most out of your truck. The Superchips tuner with the intake tune should make the same power as the gryphon, it could even make more. Who says Bill has even tested any intakes on the 09-10s? If he hasnt where is he getting the data to write these custom files. I have read 0 posts where he has done testing on different intakes like Superchips has. If you all think he can just whip out a tune to match a intake out of thin air you are sadly mistaken. You have to do testing and Superchips has done that. As of right now Superchips has the best programmer on the market. They have tons of customer support and you can reach them easily on the phone. When you order your programmer you will have it within a week and you have access to tunes written for specific intakes. 90% of us on here wont go past intake and exhaust when it comes to performance mods on our trucks. Since the exhaust wont really affect the tune and they have specific files for intakes its a no brainer on which company is on top of their game. Im not disrespecting PHP im just laying out the facts on who has took the time and done the testing. Bill has done testing on a stock truck but thats it, no tests comparing different parts.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Yeah probably not destroy but should have marginal gains over super-chips canned tunes. It will be nice once we are able to even get comparisons of the edge/gryphon with anything else...but who knows when that will happen.

the edge is a canned tuning device while the gryphon is a custom tunable tuning device

Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM

How do you all figure the Gryphon will make more power than the Superchips tuner. It will all come down to who wants to be more aggressive with the tuning. Superchips specifically made a tune to work with a specific intake and a specific truck, this is a custom tune. How will the gryphon be any different? You say the Gryphon is custom, well whats so custom about it? Bill doesnt have your truck there so he wont be able to write a tune that gets the most out of your truck. The Superchips tuner with the intake tune should make the same power as the gryphon, it could even make more. Who says Bill has even tested any intakes on the 09-10s? If he hasnt where is he getting the data to write these custom files. I have read 0 posts where he has done testing on different intakes like Superchips has. If you all think he can just whip out a tune to match a intake out of thin air you are sadly mistaken. You have to do testing and Superchips has done that. As of right now Superchips has the best programmer on the market. They have tons of customer support and you can reach them easily on the phone. When you order your programmer you will have it within a week and you have access to tunes written for specific intakes. 90% of us on here wont go past intake and exhaust when it comes to performance mods on our trucks. Since the exhaust wont really affect the tune and they have specific files for intakes its a no brainer on which company is on top of their game. Im not disrespecting PHP im just laying out the facts on who has took the time and done the testing. Bill has done testing on a stock truck but thats it, no tests comparing different parts.
a canned tune is still a canned tune

Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
a canned tune is still a canned tune
How do you figure. A canned tune is something just thrown together from scratch. Im sure Superchips and PHP have both had a 09-10 and developed their tunes from that. They will both be on the conservative side because they dont have your truck there to get the tune exactly spot on. Each truck will vary ever so slightly from tune to tune thats why they leave them on the conservative side. If they had your truck at the shop they could get it spot on. On a stock truck what is going to be done using the Gryphon that is so custom? If Bill sells 10 custom tunes to 10 stock trucks do you really think they are all different? I guarantee if you place them all on the dyno they will all read nearly the same and they will all feel the same when you drive them. Im just trying to figure out what makes them so custom??

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Yep, that's correct. Those numbers are additional.

Scott

Scott,
So what your saying is those CAI gains are on top of the 38hp and 57lb/ft TQ that the programmer already makes? Let me know if I'm correct, so my 2010 5.4 with a K&N CAI combined with the super-chips programmer will create 49HP and 85 lb/ft TQ?

Shotgun

Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Bill posted 2 years ago, right after the 09's came out, some of his dyno sheets for intake testing. You are making statements as if you know facts when you don't. It is fine if you like Superchips, they make a nice product, and yes, they are probably more accessible. Just keep it to the facts.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor
All of our tunes are dyno tested at our facility here in Florida. Once dyno testing was done we thoroughly tested them on the street as well to guarantee drivability was 100% as you would expect from Superchips.

Here is our Dyno facility with the F150 we used for testing. Most runs were with a fan to simulate what it will be with the vehicle driving on the road.

One of the F150's stock before testing with a stack of some of the CAI kits we had on hand to test.

F150 with S&B intake prior to testing

All testing and tuning was done in the July 95-100 degree Florida weather. All of the numbers correspond to all of the PCM calibrations we have on file to test. If Ford comes out with a new file, we will of course need to build a customer file for those files but that doesn't take more than 24-48 hours in most cases.

I will work with the engineering to try and get you some dyno graphs to review as well.

Scott

Originally Posted by shotgunz
Scott,
Are these theoretical gains or dyno results?

If they are dyno, could you please post a link to the dyno sheets for

1) The gains over stock (i.e., programmer only)
2) The intake gains (programmer plus intake)

Also, if they are dyno, does SC happen to have good photos of the typical set-up for the dyno? Is the hood open? Are there fans used to cool the engine during the pulls? Is each run done at the same ambient and engine operating temperature?

Do these tunes and gains apply to all PCM calibration codes?

Thanks!

Last edited by Superchips; 08-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:53 PM

How do you figure. A canned tune is something just thrown together from scratch. Im sure Superchips and PHP have both had a 09-10 and developed their tunes from that. They will both be on the conservative side because they dont have your truck there to get the tune exactly spot on. Each truck will vary ever so slightly from tune to tune thats why they leave them on the conservative side. If they had your truck at the shop they could get it spot on. On a stock truck what is going to be done using the Gryphon that is so custom? If Bill sells 10 custom tunes to 10 stock trucks do you really think they are all different? I guarantee if you place them all on the dyno they will all read nearly the same and they will all feel the same when you drive them. Im just trying to figure out what makes them so custom??
does the term hex code mean anything to you???

Quick Reply: Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150