Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Bill posted 2 years ago, right after the 09's came out, some of his dyno sheets for intake testing. You are making statements as if you know facts when you don't. It is fine if you like Superchips, they make a nice product, and yes, they are probably more accessible. Just keep it to the facts.
I am trying to keep it to the facts. My favorite tuner is the one with the best customer support and the one who has done their homework. Im sure once the Edge comes out Bill will receive praise from alot of people including me. I am trying to keep it to the facts, Im not bashing on anyone. I have seen Bills post on where he tested the stock intake with the snorkel removed but that is it. Can someone please link me to where he tested different intakes?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
does the term hex code mean anything to you???

Please explain how knowing the Hex code of each truck will make more power?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
I am trying to keep it to the facts. My favorite tuner is the one with the best customer support and the one who has done their homework. Im sure once the Edge comes out Bill will receive praise from alot of people including me. I am trying to keep it to the facts, Im not bashing on anyone. I have seen Bills post on where he tested the stock intake with the snorkel removed but that is it. Can someone please link me to where he tested different intakes?
He was testing some other intake at the time he tested the "snorkle off". He has been doing this for years, working for Edge, and on his own. I'm sure he has tested many intakes during that time. Mike Troyer used to post all the time, the numbers from different intakes and went so far as telling us which one was the best. My point was, you were stating it as fact that these other guys did not do any testing, when you obviously do not know that. They are just not marketing a canned product to hit all the various options.

Again, I am not knocking Superchips marketing approach nor what they have done to put out a product, but don't knock the other guys with misinformation.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Were the dyno runs performed with the hood closed, or opened as in the pictures?

IAT's and subsequent gains will be affected with hood opened and fans blowing in the engine bay. Not sure how much to be honest, but in theory......colder air = greater gains. And since your comparing "Cold Air Intakes" an open hood will skew in favor of the K&N, AEM & Airaid.

Last edited by Fordahaulic; 08-02-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Syntax
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott,
Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing the dyno sheets. Hopefully you have high quality PDFs or JPEGS.

BTW, this doesn't look like any 09-10 front end I've ever seen...

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor
The fan shown in the pic above has an outlet near the floor so we run the vehicles with the hoods open during testing so there is a place for the hot air to go.

Scott

Originally Posted by Fordahaulic
Were the dyno runs performed with the hood closed, or opened as in the pictures?

IAT's and subsequent gains will be affected with hood opened and fans blowing in the engine bay. Not sure how much to be honest, but in theory......colder air = greater gains. And since your comparing "Cold Air Intakes" an open hood will skew in favor of the K&N, AEM & Airaid.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Dyno plots I was able to locate were added to my first post in this thread.

Scott

Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Please explain how knowing the Hex code of each truck will make more power?

I'm done with you and your BS, you aren't too bright and you're getting annoying

have a nice day

Old 08-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Superchips
The fan shown in the pic above has an outlet near the floor so we run the vehicles with the hoods open during testing so there is a place for the hot air to go.

Scott
Dyno plots I was able to locate were added to my first post in this thread.

Scott
thank you for finally after almost 6 years allowing people with simple bolt ons the option to use a superchip tuning decice and thank you for answering all the questions asked in this thread.

I feel a lot different about superchips tuning devices now, than I did before I read this thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Scott
Good stuff, was just wondering if that bad boy way set up to blow on the engine....looks like it can generate F-4 like conditions!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm done with you and your BS, you aren't too bright and you're getting annoying

have a nice day
Chill TJ.

Vtec - you need to either spend some qualiy time searching the extensive archives on here (where this subject is completely explained), or call one of the established tuners to walk you though this.

This is not yer nipple-pierced buddie's rice-burner

A quick example - you know there are many hex codes over the f150 MY's - multiples per box code. Some of these were found, empirically to not even go into Open Loop when commanded; others ran extremely lean - again, not enriching as expected even when commanded. Others are examples of stellar calibrations with dead-on fuel trims, proper command responses, etc - resulting in exceptional results. This info was not disseminated by Ford; the custom tuners, after many hours and dollars in dyno time and R&D, found these anomalies. Obviously, there are 'good' calibrations, and 'bad' ones; each needs to be addressed uniquely for best results. Sure - there are some for which 'good enough' suffices (canned / generic tuning), but there are also others who insist on the 'best'.

There are even cases where a 'custom tuner' could not dial-in a certain strategy because he was not aware of such anomalies, nor even aware of the vast diversity in the F150 calibrations. Or - even naware that you cannot run a 6,000lb brick as safely lean as you could a 'stang. That body of anecdotal evidence is also in the archives.

Here fellas - no need to duke it out

Cheers
MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 08-02-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: dyslexia - I meant "Open Loop" where the power is, lol
Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I find the arguing pretty entertaining myself but obviously the guy hasn't read to many threads on the "custom tuning" topic. Even I have done a bit of research since I'm a newbie when it comes to programmers but honestly I rather trust guys on this forums who actually use these products in real world driving conditions, than listen to a manufacture rep that is trying to sell a product based on numbers. I really haven't read anyone who has tried gryphon or edge products and would prefer super-chips....but what do I know

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM

have a nice day
Another Internet Keyboard Cowboy I see . I asked a legitimate question. So what you guys are saying is there are tons of differnet Hex codes out there for each truck. Each one will differ from truck to truck. What you are also saying is that some of these shops have seen each and every one of these Hex codes, thats how they know what to adjust per hex code. That seems like an awful lot of research if you ask me. Why come you cant just write one tune that could fix all of the above issues MGDfan suggested? When you reflash a ECU you are changing all the parameters inside of it. So why wouldnt one tune correct everything? Do you have the answer to that or are you going to cowboy up again behind your keyboard?

I do have tons of experience with cars. I have dealt with 400+hp boosted Hondas back in the day (early 2000s) to cammed out LSX motors (my favorite!!). I have never heard of a tuner needing any Hex codes for tuning. This goes to mail order tunes to get my cars running to full on street/dyno tuning. You can keep saying im full of BS but honestly im just trying to figure this all out

Old 08-02-2010, 06:44 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Read MGD's last post - then read it 3 more times.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Another Internet Keyboard Cowboy I see . I asked a legitimate question. So what you guys are saying is there are tons of differnet Hex codes out there for each truck. Each one will differ from truck to truck. What you are also saying is that some of these shops have seen each and every one of these Hex codes, thats how they know what to adjust per hex code. That seems like an awful lot of research if you ask me. Why come you cant just write one tune that could fix all of the above issues MGDfan suggested? When you reflash a ECU you are changing all the parameters inside of it. So why wouldnt one tune correct everything? Do you have the answer to that or are you going to cowboy up again behind your keyboard?

I do have tons of experience with cars. I have dealt with 400+hp boosted Hondas back in the day (early 2000s) to cammed out LSX motors (my favorite!!). I have never heard of a tuner needing any Hex codes for tuning. This goes to mail order tunes to get my cars running to full on street/dyno tuning. You can keep saying im full of BS but honestly im just trying to figure this all out
There are literally hundreds of HEX codes for these trucks. Everytime Ford makes a change to the programming, the have a new HEX code issed for that new program. It can be a chage for the security system, for the engine, transmission, whatever, but each one will be a different HEX code. My truck was relashed by the dealer twice, so it had 3 different HEX codes in it at different times. The person writing a program has to be able to decipher any change that affects, fuel, air, shifting, etc and make decisions on how to work with the change in his program. When you do a canned program, it is for a broad range of situations and several HEXcodes. When they write a "custom" tune, it is for that one HEX code and can not be used on a truck with any other HEX. Therefore, they can be more exact in tuning for that particular truck. This is somewhat an over simplification, but hopefully, you get the idea. That is why it can be said that "custom" tunes should perform better than a canned tune. The Gryphon comes with canned tunes, but when PHP knows your HEX, they can write for that specific tune. Same with SCT devices.

Again, sounds as if Superchips has done a nice job providing a product that will be enough for a lot of people, much the same as Diablo has done. It just is not the same as a "custom" tune and even that "custom" tune is not as good as getting it tuned on a dyno(assuming that the tuner knows his stuff).

Quick Reply: Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150