Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
There are literally hundreds of HEX codes for these trucks. Everytime Ford makes a change to the programming, the have a new HEX code issed for that new program. It can be a chage for the security system, for the engine, transmission, whatever, but each one will be a different HEX code. My truck was relashed by the dealer twice, so it had 3 different HEX codes in it at different times. The person writing a program has to be able to decipher any change that affects, fuel, air, shifting, etc and make decisions on how to work with the change in his program. When you do a canned program, it is for a broad range of situations and several HEXcodes. When they write a "custom" tune, it is for that one HEX code and can not be used on a truck with any other HEX. Therefore, they can be more exact in tuning for that particular truck. This is somewhat an over simplification, but hopefully, you get the idea. That is why it can be said that "custom" tunes should perform better than a canned tune. The Gryphon comes with canned tunes, but when PHP knows your HEX, they can write for that specific tune. Same with SCT devices.

Again, sounds as if Superchips has done a nice job providing a product that will be enough for a lot of people, much the same as Diablo has done. It just is not the same as a "custom" tune and even that "custom" tune is not as good as getting it tuned on a dyno(assuming that the tuner knows his stuff).
Thank you for the explanation without trying to belittle me. I understand the entire idea but I still think if you load a tune it will automatically rewrite anything that was done wrong in the performance aspect of things. You are changing all of your fueling and timing tables, you are changing all of your shift parameters inside of the trans, as well as improving your throttle response. That basically covers everything from the performance aspect. As for the security updates and all of the instrumentation updates I can see the hex code affecting all of that. I see exactly what you guys are saying the hex does but from a performance point of view all of that data is written over regardless with any programmer.

Once again im not saying one is better than the other. If you look at it from my point of view you see that everything dealing with performance is written over, hex or no hex. Lets say that my truck is one experiencing a lean condition or slow throttle response. With any programmer both of those tables are re calibrated.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey.
This is a sponser's thread........
Let's not go trashing it.
There's some of us who like to read about the new stuff.
Pack it up and start a new thread please.
Thanx
Have a great day!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still not sure why you'd go with anything but this. But do what you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...Q5fAccessories

lol:

Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
your right. I did get a little carried away and should of started my own thread called "Lets talk hex", lol. Sorry Superchips, keep on doing what you are doing on here and you will get plenty of business.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Thank you for the explanation without trying to belittle me. I understand the entire idea but I still think if you load a tune it will automatically rewrite anything that was done wrong in the performance aspect of things. You are changing all of your fueling and timing tables, you are changing all of your shift parameters inside of the trans, as well as improving your throttle response. That basically covers everything from the performance aspect. As for the security updates and all of the instrumentation updates I can see the hex code affecting all of that. I see exactly what you guys are saying the hex does but from a performance point of view all of that data is written over regardless with any programmer.

Once again im not saying one is better than the other. If you look at it from my point of view you see that everything dealing with performance is written over, hex or no hex. Lets say that my truck is one experiencing a lean condition or slow throttle response. With any programmer both of those tables are re calibrated.
Correct, but you're "oversimplifying". You simply cannot replace a data line in a PCM's EPROM with new data without knowing ALL of the other data lines in that EPROM and how they will interact with the new data. This is the purpose of knowing the stock "hex" or "calibration" code. Every new data value you enter will have side effects, some good, some bad that will have to be addressed by other data lines in the EPROM.

If I can employ a metaphor, you might want to design a better long distance runner. Great, just graft the legs of say Frank Shorter on to your athlete (did I just date myself?) and you're good to go, right?. And this is what you're suggesting.

Of course it won't work. You'd need to tweak your athlete's heart, lungs and circulatory system from their stock settings, unless you "replaced" all of them too. And then, there would be the interaction with the rest of the neuromusculature and skeletal system, which probably cannot be ALL changed, so the new body parts might have to be "detuned" or "retuned" a bit. The gastric system is certainly a factor that would further modify the new parts. And, the brain of the athlete is certainly not going to be Frank Shorter's brain, with his ability to block pain and concentrate, so we'd need to make further adjustments to the "legs".

THIS is what the "hex" code is all about, and why you don't just plug values *****-nilly into each data line of the EPROM.

- Jack

Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Yeah, sorry the 2009-10 testing was done first and pic's were not taken.

Scott

Originally Posted by shotgunz
Scott,

BTW, this doesn't look like any 09-10 front end I've ever seen...

Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 88racing
Hey.
This is a sponser's thread........
Let's not go trashing it.
There's some of us who like to read about the new stuff.
Pack it up and start a new thread please.
Thanx
Have a great day!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
just curious has anyone with the 09+ actually tried out the cai tunes with this programmer?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Scott, is it possible to bring my truck w/S&B intake down form Tampa to ahve you guys custom tune it!?

What would it cost for the custom dyno tune!?
I have nto purchased a tuner yet but am looking to buy soon!
Thanks!?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 PM
"Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150
Superchips is now offering downloadable cold air intake tunes in the 1950 Cortex and 1865 Flashpaq for 2004-10 F150 4.6L and 5.4L applications."

So I just called Superchips, tech support claims there are no CAI tunes available for 2009 or 2010 Ford F150s. I have an air raid intake and they are telling me not to run their tuner on my truck. I have a 2010 Ford F150 4.6 L. They told me I would be able to run their tuner if I had the stock air intake on it but as of right not they have no updates for anything past 2008.

So is the information relayed in this thread inaccurate?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM
AFAIK the CAI option is not included with newly purchased units, I believe you must purchase that for a few $$ as an upgrade to their base/stock tunes. There is some chatter on Superchip's own discussion forum about the matter, and people there are getting it working, so it is definitely not vaporware. Perhaps those sales people on the phone lines are not up to speed with the techies yet...

Anyhoo, gotta love these custom vs. canned tune threads - popcorn, cold ones, watch the fireworks. :-) As for me, I've been doing my own eec tuning since @ 2000 on my own '90 Mustang and '93 Bronco, using eec-tuner, and now Moates hardware. I'm also the moderator of the Yahoo Groups EECTuning email list and know a few of the ins and outs of tuning various Ford strategies-- and I can tell you, it's a foregone conclusion that certain people feel very passionately that it is their solemn duty to lecture others and beat on dead horses regarding tuning. Always entertaining to watch the hardware zealots flagellate each other... :-)

That said, FWIW and believe it or not, I am running a Cortex on my stock 2009 5.4 4x4 screw. The way I see it, if you have a stock truck and will be keeping it that way, and want to improve the power and shifting as well as do some decent datalogging of various sensors, then the Superchips tuner serves a good purpose. Think about how many hours of dyno and drive time is put into tuning the stock trucks. Sure, the options are limited due to the need of fitting multiple vehicle tunes into a single tuner, but for basic power and shifting improvements these units ARE in essence a custom tune for a bone-stock truck, with hundreds of hours of development time going into them.

I am using the high-octane performance engine tune along with the stock/untouched transmission settings (exception being the speed limiter is raised so I can more easily pass those pesky minivans going 85~90 on the PA Turnpike). In a nutshell, the Cortex works fine and does *almost* everything I want it to do, and the company's service has been exemplary. That said, a Cortex may not do something that someone else might want done. For example, even though I love the vastly improved drivability offered by the Cortex, it is just my *opinion* that at times, even the stock shifting behavior is too harsh in these trucks, and never mind using the Cortex to make it shift even harder, I sort of wish SC would offer a -5% firmness option, or even better, an option to adjust firmness for each gear change. But of course I realize there just isn't enough memory space in the Cortex (yet) to permit this level of fine tuning with every Ford ecm out there.

Oh, and as for raising shift rpm on the 5.4s, yes it does run a quicker number doing this, but these 5.4 truck engines are just not designed for extended revs, so if you want yours to last for the long haul, best to leave the stock shift rpm in there for daily driving. Again, IMHO, and YMMV, it was good fun to play boy-racer with the hardest tranny settings in there for a few weeks, and I did manage a 7.2 second 0-60 run with the SC settings loaded (and surprised more than few new Hemis) but Ford IMO did a pretty good job balancing their stock tranny programming between smoothness and quickness, the few tenths knocked off was just not worth the added wear and tear. Also noticed that when you go into or come out of different trans programs including back to stock, it takes quite a few miles of stop and go driving to get the adaptive learning process to start shifting right per the driver's habits & needs. Apparently a slow learner, this new 6-spd is. ;-)

Last edited by Unfairadvantage; 08-23-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Some poor guy who bought an '04 in September of '03 has been waiting 7 years for this?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Shoot me a PM with some details on when you can swing by.

Scott

Originally Posted by Uin2it
Scott, is it possible to bring my truck w/S&B intake down form Tampa to ahve you guys custom tune it!?

What would it cost for the custom dyno tune!?
I have nto purchased a tuner yet but am looking to buy soon!
Thanks!?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Former Sponsor
It's confirmed that 09-10 CAI support is online and ready for download.

Scott

Originally Posted by Jeff150xlt
"Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150
Superchips is now offering downloadable cold air intake tunes in the 1950 Cortex and 1865 Flashpaq for 2004-10 F150 4.6L and 5.4L applications."

So I just called Superchips, tech support claims there are no CAI tunes available for 2009 or 2010 Ford F150s. I have an air raid intake and they are telling me not to run their tuner on my truck. I have a 2010 Ford F150 4.6 L. They told me I would be able to run their tuner if I had the stock air intake on it but as of right not they have no updates for anything past 2008.

So is the information relayed in this thread inaccurate?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Question on the SC 1865 CAI tune options

Scott,

I came across this thread recently and would like to get your clarification and input. You mentioned earlier that most of the increases were due to the new tune program. CAn you elaborate more. I noticed that the torque increase were very noticalbe from 2,500-3,000rpm band. I currently have the 1865 with 87 perf tune, jba shortys, large 3" magnaflow SI/SO system, KN drop in filter with the Gotts mod done to the factory inlet into the fendor. Do you know if lower rmp band <2,500rpm had significant torque increase as well? Has anyone ever updated to the CAI tune with Gotts mod/performance drop in filter?

Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150