Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the question Rob. If we use the CAI dyno graphs as examples you can see a change in performance throughout the engine RPM comparing the 87 tunes vs. the CAI 87 tunes. The same goes for a stock engine vs. our 87 tune without a CAI present. We just represent the peak numbers because that is what everyone wants to see.

The reason a custom CAI tune is needed on Mass air equipped vehicles is because the aftermarket CAI manufacturers in their attempt to increase airflow also increase the diameter of the inlet tubes. The increased diameter causes the MAF sensor to inaccurate read the incoming air volume because the changes put the sensor out of its intended range. The result is an incorrect air/fuel ratio where more air is present in the combustion chamber but not enough fuel causing a lean condition.

With our custom CAI tunes we are able to tune the PCM to correct the fuel tables so the AFR's are back to a correct ratio.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Gotts mod is just a modified factory air box that allows more incoming air into the vehicle. If I am correct there will be no CAI specific changes needed because the vehicles PCM and MAF are already calibrated to handle that change in airflow automatically because you are retaining the factory intake tube.

Scott

Originally Posted by rebrown2
Scott,

I came across this thread recently and would like to get your clarification and input. You mentioned earlier that most of the increases were due to the new tune program. CAn you elaborate more. I noticed that the torque increase were very noticalbe from 2,500-3,000rpm band. I currently have the 1865 with 87 perf tune, jba shortys, large 3" magnaflow SI/SO system, KN drop in filter with the Gotts mod done to the factory inlet into the fendor. Do you know if lower rmp band <2,500rpm had significant torque increase as well? Has anyone ever updated to the CAI tune with Gotts mod/performance drop in filter?

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Superchips; 01-09-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Scott/Superchips - I've just ordered a Superchips Cortex for my 2003 5.4 Expedition, I've not had or used a programmer before, but I liked how the Superchips has the function of different power modes (haul etc..) and that I can calibrate for different wheels, which is why I mainly wanted a programmer.............. I'll be adding a K&N CAI, and will be changing the exhaust - but don't know yet what the changes will be - Is it something I can upgrade/alter, say for example if I decide to remove cats? It's not really a problem if I can't, but have come accross this thread after I've purchased so thought I may aswell ask, so I can understand a bit more!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Any intake results from the 5.0L in the F150s?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Our 2003 tuning applications should work out of the box with a cold air intake and catback exhaust system. We don't however offer any catalytic delete tunes because our products are strictly emissions legal.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. I am always available.

Scott

Originally Posted by chrisuk
Scott/Superchips - I've just ordered a Superchips Cortex for my 2003 5.4 Expedition, I've not had or used a programmer before, but I liked how the Superchips has the function of different power modes (haul etc..) and that I can calibrate for different wheels, which is why I mainly wanted a programmer.............. I'll be adding a K&N CAI, and will be changing the exhaust - but don't know yet what the changes will be - Is it something I can upgrade/alter, say for example if I decide to remove cats? It's not really a problem if I can't, but have come accross this thread after I've purchased so thought I may aswell ask, so I can understand a bit more!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NastyFX4
PM sent.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor
No problem, let me get with my engineers for the data and I will update this post with the graphs.

Scott

Originally Posted by NastyFX4

Old 01-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Superchips
Our 2003 tuning applications should work out of the box with a cold air intake and catback exhaust system. We don't however offer any catalytic delete tunes because our products are strictly emissions legal.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. I am always available.

Scott
Great, thanks Scott nice to know I can contact someone if I need to! Where could I find expected horsepower/torque gain figures (with the combination or the Cortex, CAI, and catback)?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor
In my opinion Dyno testing your vehicle would be the only way to determine accurate numbers. We only tested to make sure that air/fuel ratios were in check when adding one of the many popular CAI kits with our tuning for the 2003 and older model years.

Scott

Originally Posted by chrisuk
Great, thanks Scott nice to know I can contact someone if I need to! Where could I find expected horsepower/torque gain figures (with the combination or the Cortex, CAI, and catback)?

Last edited by Superchips; 01-16-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I knew that y'all were offering these, and I have a 07 FX4 with 5.4 and a SC FP 1865, cat back, and a simple TrueFlow intake tube that uses the stock box. I like what the 87 Perf tune does, but sitting here tonight I'm thinking maybe a S&B CAI might be worth while now just to take advantage of the tuning?
Originally Posted by Superchips
S&B 5.4L
- 04-08 F150 gained +10HP and +17 ft/lb TQ

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...7withSBCAI.jpg

Last edited by tbear853; 01-27-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor
There are always some extra ponies to be gained when the intake and exhaust are freed up.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
This is great news. Those are some impressive gains with the intakes on the 09-10s. Everyone on here swears by the stock intake, I believe the data you posted will leave all of them scratching their heads.
Not quite when an ISO test facility has documented the "gains" by these atermarket air intakes http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html

Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
How do you all figure the Gryphon will make more power than the Superchips tuner. It will all come down to who wants to be more aggressive with the tuning. Superchips specifically made a tune to work with a specific intake and a specific truck, this is a custom tune. How will the gryphon be any different? You say the Gryphon is custom, well whats so custom about it? Bill doesnt have your truck there so he wont be able to write a tune that gets the most out of your truck. The Superchips tuner with the intake tune should make the same power as the gryphon, it could even make more. Who says Bill has even tested any intakes on the 09-10s? If he hasnt where is he getting the data to write these custom files. I have read 0 posts where he has done testing on different intakes like Superchips has. If you all think he can just whip out a tune to match a intake out of thin air you are sadly mistaken. You have to do testing and Superchips has done that. As of right now Superchips has the best programmer on the market. They have tons of customer support and you can reach them easily on the phone. When you order your programmer you will have it within a week and you have access to tunes written for specific intakes. 90% of us on here wont go past intake and exhaust when it comes to performance mods on our trucks. Since the exhaust wont really affect the tune and they have specific files for intakes its a no brainer on which company is on top of their game. Im not disrespecting PHP im just laying out the facts on who has took the time and done the testing. Bill has done testing on a stock truck but thats it, no tests comparing different parts.
I would also politely add, that it took considerable discussion, (several hours) of what myself and my vendor would both call "hard-discussions" to be able to purchase a tuner from Superchips......their customer service, well, I have some different views and if the owners of SC would like to speak with me direct on what happened, I would look forward to the discussion.

Quick Reply: Superchips is now offering CAI tunes for F150