CS & CTS for '09-'10, How about some updated stats???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is some great information here, but I still haven't seen any updated stats. Anyone place their truck on a dyno with the new tuner to see the difference before and after tunes? Anyone run a 0-60 or 1/4 mile before and after? How about MPG changes?

As a side note, I don't expect to see much in the way of gas mileage increases because the temperature is dropping. My '09 KR 4x4 SCREW averages 17.5 in the summer and only 16.5 in the winter.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My mileage has not changed, really. Driving on the level 3 setting on a trip back from WV, I averaged 20.8. This is nearly all driving within 5mph of posted limit 65-70 mph, and not stomping the gas. I was doing about the same on the same ride before. Commuting back and forth to work this week, mostly rural back roads with a few stop lights sprinkled in, I'm averaging 16.7, again about the same as pre-programmer. I haven't tried the economy setting yet. I'll try it after I use the 93 octane fuel in the tank. It is fun to stomp it a little on the level 3 setting, though. No plans to dyno it. Don't have the time to even consider that.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't know about MPG changes until I've run 4-5 tank fulls. I have no intention of getting the TQ/HP changes measured on the dyno.

As I said above, DBW/torque limit is noticeably better as are the shifts.

I did take a 262 mile trip yesterday (all interstate) and had the highest MPG (19.8). But that could easily be caused by a number of different factors and I WOULD NOT ATTRIBUTE IT TO THE CTS (yet).

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/shotgun/f150

EDIT: One more interesting tidbit. Either the canned Edge economy tune or the CTS disables the VHR. Not a big deal, just found it interesting. I suspect it may have something to do with the CANbus communication protocol (too many devices? CTS seen as an illegal/foreign device?). I haven't tried disconnecting the CTS and running the report (yet).

Last edited by shotgunz; 09-15-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Update

hooked cts up the computer and there was an update for 09-10 f150. dont know what it was but it was there.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Installed my Edge/Gryphon CTS last Friday. Running canned tunes on my 09 5.4L until PHP finishes my custom tunes (87 performance, 87 towing); I'll leave the canned 93 performance alone.

Installation went well (I did update via Fusion first) and it only took 10-15 minutes to program to level 1; I thought I read the SCT XCAL3 takes 45 minutes.
DBW/torque limit is noticeably better as are the shifts. Haven't driven enough to know about MPG. I don't drive my truck hard, so I won't be a a good butt dyno reporter.
Just saw this. Isn't L1 just the trans tune? If so, and also since this is a generic canned tune for just the box code, it's probably not a full rewrite.

And I also wonder, given the above, if it's only the TCM calibration that was saved - remember the initial Save of the Full stock PCM and TCM calibrations took a majority of the time on an X3. After that it was fairly quick (based upon data from Smokewagun).

Pehaps ask Bill, since he uses both devices? Just curious.

MGD

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM
You might be right as the Edge manual is 'wrong' or unclear:

The CS/CTS Evolution typically has 4 levels, and each is tuned specifically for different driving situations. The level names are reflective of what the driving level should be used for. As a general rule of thumb the Economy level has the lowest power output, and the Extreme level has the highest power output. The Performance, and Extreme levels should be used only when you desire a high power output from the vehicle.

WARNING: Performance and Extreme levels are not intended for, and should not be used for towing. Do not exceed your vehicle’s max GVWR as outlined in the vehicle’s owner’s manual. Doing so may result in loss of vehicle control and cause bodily injury.

Trans Only- The Trans Only level only makes changes to the transmission.
It will provide firmer transmission shifts which help increase transmission life.

Economy - The economy level is the lowest power setting. It has been
specifically tuned for optimum fuel economy, we recommend using this level for daily driving.

Towing - The towing level is designed for towing, Tuning strategies are optimized to provide power where it is needed most in order to move a load.

Performance - The Performance level is a high power level. The fuel injection and timing strategies are tuned semi aggressively to extract substantial
power gains from the vehicle without sacrificing drivability or durability.

Extreme - This is the highest setting for the Evolution. The fuel injection
and timing strategies are aggressively tuned to extract high performance from
your vehicle without sacrificing drivability or durability.
I figured I'd wait until my custom tunes are done. Bill has more than enough on his plate to have me pestering him.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM

I figured I'd wait until my custom tunes are done. Bill has more than enough on his plate to have me pestering him.
Not wrong - just generic, as it covers both Gas and Diesel variants - each of which uses different software/interface presentations. Key word = "Typically".

Discussed before recently: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...s-missing.html

So - don't bother with any mileage calculations on a trans-only tune - better instead to monitor tranny temps stock versus tuned - to see if the reduction in slippage is helping any. And - also monitor the TC lockup flag.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-15-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That appears to be the diesel power level menu.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 PM
It probably is the diesel. Here's the actual screen. Trans only is not an option...

And here's a shot of the 8 PID display.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

forgive me for sounding like a broken record about this...

I know the SCT x3 can bump up the re-engage speed of the traction control system. Can the CS/CTS do this as well?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know, but I would guess it could (in a custom tune).

Bill could probably answer that question.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Here's some more pix......
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...e-cts-pix.html
Its a work in progress.......

Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Here's some more pix......
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...e-cts-pix.html
Its a work in progress.......
What is? The programmer, or yer pix?

MGD

Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
What is? The programmer, or yer pix?

MGD
Edge still hasn't added somethings but who knows when that will happen? Probably a week after I go out and get a X3.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Probably a week after I go out and get a X3.
Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply: CS & CTS for '09-'10, How about some updated stats???