CS & CTS for '09-'10, How about some updated stats???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
And how is the weather in Utah GR?
In the 80's during the day and gets to the 50's to 60's at night. We have a brush fire in the south that is causing some issues. Other then that, the weather is fine.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
Huntingtown. I was up your way today at Sneades.

Sneades is literally 5 minutes up the road from me. I live in Richfield Station down the street from there.

To keep this thread on topic Im still waiting for my programmer to be shipped. I find myself tracking it daily only to find out that it hasnt shipped. At least its paid for so im just waiting on the UPS man to stop on by.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Rog
In the 80's during the day and gets to the 50's to 60's at night. We have a brush fire in the south that is causing some issues. Other then that, the weather is fine.
Great! Since I've got you here...

Any chance you could post up some high quality JPGs of the Edge CS/CTS dyno runs for the 09-10s?

EDIT: Or give us a link?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Edge CTS install update:

Filled up again. MPG for this tank was 19.5. Previous average (for the same basic mix of driving) 17.4.

TFT stays at/near 175-180 when up to temperature.
CHT is at/near 200.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Edge CTS install update:

Filled up again. MPG for this tank was 19.5. Previous average (for the same basic mix of driving) 17.4.

CHT is at/near 200.
Looks promising.

I'd get yer A/F's checked. I don't trust canned econo-tunes

Goot altell ya, not too thrilled with yer TFT's. Were you towing?

Without towing mine never stray above ~155. Towing a smallish cargo ( under 2K loaded) trailer, they go to ~170. Useing VMP's excellent 87 tow tune. This is in the brutal summer we've had.

MGD

Old 09-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Don't forget I'm waiting on my custom towing and econ/performance tunes (both 87 octane) from PHP...

Not towing, but the dash trans temp guage (a.k.a. idiot guage) is in the same spot as before the canned tune flash.

If I can get some free time, I guess I could flash back to stock and check TFT and the MAF values against the tuned values.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Shotgunz and MGDFan, I think the high TFT is something of a result of the high ambient temperatures we have in the south. Driving around town in Tucson, I can regularly see TFTs in the 170 region with a lot of stop and go driving and the outside temp above 100. And, this is dependent on the weight you're moving around too. I've weighed my SCrew on a CAT scale and it was 6420# (with me aboard at 195# and a nearly full gas tank). I have a heavy bed cap on too, which adds to the weight.

We just got back from a trip to Yosemite, driving across the Sonora and Mojave deserts with the outside air temp between 108-112, and the CHT stayed pretty close to 220 and the TFT would vary between 170-190 pulling our trailer. Total weight was around 10,200#.

Shotgunz, the dashboard temp gauge is only good for warning you when you are overheated - then it will "peg". I've never seen mine move (once warmed up) and I've hit 226 on the digital CHT gauge pulling the trailer up a long incline.

The thing that seems to effect TFT most strongly is torque converter activity or constant shifting OR, a long run under load at high RPM (like pulling a trailer up a 10 mile 8% grade in the desert with the transmission in 2nd gear (TC locked) and engine RPM between 3500 and 4000. I've seen my TFT reach 225 in that state. Anytime my RPM goes up, the TFT does too.

- Jack

Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Shotgunz and MGDFan, I think the high TFT is something of a result of the high ambient temperatures we have in the south. Driving around town in Tucson, I can regularly see TFTs in the 170 region with a lot of stop and go driving and the outside temp above 100. And, this is dependent on the weight you're moving around too. I've weighed my SCrew on a CAT scale and it was 6420# (with me aboard at 195# and a nearly full gas tank). I have a heavy bed cap on too, which adds to the weight.

We just got back from a trip to Yosemite, driving across the Sonora and Mojave deserts with the outside air temp between 108-112, and the CHT stayed pretty close to 220 and the TFT would vary between 170-190 pulling our trailer. Total weight was around 10,200#.

Shotgunz, the dashboard temp gauge is only good for warning you when you are overheated - then it will "peg". I've never seen mine move (once warmed up) and I've hit 226 on the digital CHT gauge pulling the trailer up a long incline.

The thing that seems to effect TFT most strongly is torque converter activity or constant shifting OR, a long run under load at high RPM (like pulling a trailer up a 10 mile 8% grade in the desert with the transmission in 2nd gear (TC locked) and engine RPM between 3500 and 4000. I've seen my TFT reach 225 in that state. Anytime my RPM goes up, the TFT does too.

- Jack
OK.

Looking at the spec sheets for V and LV:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ERCON%20LV.pdf

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...MERCON%20V.pdf

The flash point is 20 deg C higher for LV, but otherwise the two fluids are similar. (For comparison M1's flashpoint is 220 deg C):

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...hetic_ATF.aspx

So - in a similar environment it *appears* as though the new 6-speeds are running a bit hotter (based upon this and other recent posts). And the fluid provides a little (but not a lot) of extra 'headroom'. Don't know about the rest of the internals, though.

I'd recommend an active transmission cooler - for both of you. Mine is on the way

And Jack - you've stressed yer fluid - time to change it.

MGD

Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 AM
It appears 175 is the normal temperature.

From TSB 09-15-4:

4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature. NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.
I have an aux trans cooler (max tow package).

Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 AM
It appears 175 is the normal temperature.

From TSB 09-15-4:

I have an aux trans cooler (max tow package).
You have a passive aux cooler. As long as you never tow backing up or have to abruptly stop after a long pull ( tranny fluid nice & heatsoaked ), yer fine

==> http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...gno=PPI-ATCKIT

"This type of active cooler setup is the *only* way to ensure your automatic transmission fluid temperatures will not exceed 200 degrees, which happens frequently with the factory setup when driving at lower speeds or in city traffic, any time you are towing, going Offroad, any kind of racing (drag racing, four-wheeling, truck pulls, etc.).

Even with the auxiliary transmission coolers that come with factory towing packages & with heavy-duty cooling packages from the factory on trucks, SUV's & performance vehicles, your transmission fluid will *still* overheat in those conditions, because they are all *passive* coolers, with no airflow of their own, no type of active & positive thermostatic control to prevent overheating of the transmission fluid, and no way to accelerate the cooling of overheated fluid.

This is an especially critical issue with Ford automatic transmissions, which use shift solenoids attached to the valve body, as these shift solenoids are constantly bathed in the hot transmission fluid. Fluid temperatures over 190-200 degrees causes premature failure of the shift solenoids (which were a bit "weak" anyway up until about the 2000 model year or so), as well as premature wear on the friction materials such as clutches, steels, bands, etc.

Transmission fluid temperatures rise very quickly in a number of different driving conditions, for example, take an F-150 (or just about any other half-ton truck or SUV) towing a 4000 lb. load........... starting off from a stoplight and accelerating up to just 55 mph will add 35-60 degrees of heat to the automatic transmission fluid in less than 2 minutes! Another example is if you are drag racing, pulling up to the line at a nice, cool 180 degrees of transmission fluid temperature, at the end of just 1 pass down the 1/4 mile those fluid temperatures easily top 240-260 degrees! And once the transmission fluid is overheated, it takes a *long* time to cool back down, and the fluid is of course already damaged at that point. It only takes one occasion of overheating the transmission fluid to initiate molecule shear & start breaking down it's lubricity. Molecule shear happens quickly with non-synthetic transmission fluids, and causes lubricity breakdown & accelerated clutch wear, etc. "

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-22-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Edge CTS install update:

CHT is at/near 200.
What were your ambient temps that day?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Upper 80s-low 90s

Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Upper 80s-low 90s
Of course were comparing apples and oranges here......
With the new f150 and its new strategies for the motor and its new transmission w/new fluid type.

But the night I took this pic it was 65*f and I had just got off of a county road doing 55mph for 15 miles.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the info 88.

We all know ambient has an effect.

141 + (90-65) = 166. Not too far away from the 180 (max) I saw after driving 150 miles at 65-70.

Plus neither of use knows how accurate the RTDs (or TCs) Ford uses to measure the TFT. Mine could be 1-5 degrees high and yours 1-5 degrees low.

In other words, I'm not concerned but as part of my normal maintenance I will change the tranny fluid at 75-100k vs. the specified 150k. Since I've owned (and towed) a boat I've always changed 33-50% early.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info 88.

We all know ambient has an effect.

141 + (90-65) = 166. Not too far away from the 180 (max) I saw after driving 150 miles at 65-70.

Plus neither of use knows how accurate the RTDs (or TCs) Ford uses to measure the TFT. Mine could be 1-5 degrees high and yours 1-5 degrees low.

In other words, I'm not concerned but as part of my normal maintenance I will change the tranny fluid at 75-100k vs. the specified 150k. Since I've owned (and towed) a boat I've always changed 33-50% early.
Is 150k the Severe Service schedule (in which towing qualifies)? It's 30K for the 4R575E. I cringe at a 75k interval, let alone a 100k-150k one....

The engines (not counting 2011) haven't changed - the tranny packaging has, though - more guts in the same space probably has got to have an effect on running temps. The cooler doesn't look any bigger. and the fluid is about the same.

I still think there is les available headroom overall. Certainly not any more.

For what fluid costs, versus a R&R'd tranny .... well ... and folks WILL flush away perfectly good synthetic engine oil @ 3K intervals ...but leave tranny fluid in there forever...

The location of the sensing element is known to be in an area that will read a bit lower than what comes out of the TC on a 4R75E. Perhaps they changed that location.

Another thing - an active aux cooler is but a fraction of the cost of a CTS

MGD

Quick Reply: CS & CTS for '09-'10, How about some updated stats???