CS & CTS for '09-'10, How about some updated stats???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009KR
Now that the CS & CTS are out for the '09-'10, could you provide some updated stats? A dyno run before and after with various tunes like the one done in January 2009 would be very nice. It is not clear that the results of the production version will be the same as the 01/09 test - many have posted on various forums that there is not a big power increase for a stock '09-'10 5.4 when tuned. The original dyno charts showed a big difference. I would also appreciate the first group of folks that install these to post how it impacted their mileage, 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.

Thanks in advance!

(p.s. I posted this to PHP's forum, but didn't get any response.)
If I could re-ask the original question, any updates on specs (before and after)?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is just a thought.

You could contact Edge and ask them for dyno sheets.

They do advertise hp and tq gains for the 09-10 5.4L. Surely they got those numbers from somewhere.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM
temps

Glad to see a lot of trans temps here but makes me worry. I live in south FL where it is WARM.
My transmission runs hot from what I am hearing here. It takes a long time for my transmission to come up to temp, about 5-10 min longer then the eng. I have found that the ambient temp does not change them much on cooler nights after rain 75F and hot days 90-95 I have been getting the same numbers. 184-190. It takes a long time before I get there but it does. Still running Stock are your lower numbers due to going to the next level maybe? I saw that with my 06 after flashing it that the transmission temps dropped about 10deg. Will flash truck soon though just waiting for first oil change still not at 3K yet.
Love my FX4 wish it had a 6.2L

Old 09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I've got a 09 F150 with no trans cooler, I just got back from my first drive and I was seeing 159 on the way in to town and after running around town for a bit and on the drive home I seen up to 177. My coolant temp was around 195 - 199 once up to temp.
Also I'm running the canned economy tune right now, I have a 87 performance tune coming. Was just wondering what the best tune to run until my custom comes along? should I run the canned economy or should I be running the towing or extreme setting?

Last edited by Fogducker; 09-24-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Couldn't someone, anyone, run a 0-60 before and after programming to give at least one quantitative data point on the benefit of programming an '09 or '10 5.4? It would be even nicer to have a stock, 87 performance and 93 performance runs, but any hard data would be nice.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM
My programmer came in last night but I wont be able to install it until next week. My girlfriend has family in town and they are driving her car so she has my truck all week. Im stuck in my work car since im the only one who can drive stick. On top of that we are working 2 different shifts and by the time I get home its well past midnight. When I go to install mine I will try to do some tests for you. I did open the box and install the update for it even though its for the Chevy.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Was just reading this online
As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!
It says that 175 is a normal operating temperature. I've been keeping an eye on mine and I've seen it sneak up to 178.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fogducker
I've got a 09 F150 with no trans cooler, I just got back from my first drive and I was seeing 159 on the way in to town and after running around town for a bit and on the drive home I seen up to 177. My coolant temp was around 195 - 199 once up to temp.
Also I'm running the canned economy tune right now, I have a 87 performance tune coming. Was just wondering what the best tune to run until my custom comes along? should I run the canned economy or should I be running the towing or extreme setting?
The extreme performance setting would require that you use 91-93 Oct gas.
So if you want to do that or just keep running 87 octane and use the other 2 levels.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Fogducker
Was just reading this online
As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!
It says that 175 is a normal operating temperature. I've been keeping an eye on mine and I've seen it sneak up to 178.
That's right, but I doubt seriously that a short duration stint at 190 degrees is going to immediately cut the life of the fluid in half. I would simply say it accelerates the breakdown of the fluid. Anyway, I change mine at 50K intervals and I DO pull the dipstick to examine the fluid fairly regularly.

As I've said before, I've never killed an automatic transmission in about 55 years of driving. But, I've had to replace a clutch in a manual transmission a couple of times (after 100K+ miles).

- Jack

Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
That's right, but I doubt seriously that a short duration stint at 190 degrees is going to immediately cut the life of the fluid in half. I would simply say it accelerates the breakdown of the fluid. Anyway, I change mine at 50K intervals and I DO pull the dipstick to examine the fluid fairly regularly.

As I've said before, I've never killed an automatic transmission in about 55 years of driving. But, I've had to replace a clutch in a manual transmission a couple of times (after 100K+ miles).

- Jack
" It only takes one occasion of overheating the transmission fluid to initiate molecule shear & start breaking down it's lubricity. Molecule shear happens quickly with non-synthetic transmission fluids, and causes lubricity breakdown & accelerated clutch wear, etc." M. Troyer - TP

In addition - remember where the sensor is - in the pan (or the next-best thing to it - the harnes in te valve body). So 190 indicated is, in point of fact, going to be higher coming out of the converter.

MGD

Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
" It only takes one occasion of overheating the transmission fluid to initiate molecule shear & start breaking down it's lubricity. Molecule shear happens quickly with non-synthetic transmission fluids, and causes lubricity breakdown & accelerated clutch wear, etc." M. Troyer - TP

In addition - remember where the sensor is - in the pan (or the next-best thing to it - the harnes in te valve body). So 190 indicated is, in point of fact, going to be higher coming out of the converter.

MGD
Point taken, but I tend to rely somewhat on the "bolded" word in that statement. Anything that "fails suddenly", is not sound engineering.

A spring, for instance, experiences "metal fatigue" each time it is flexed, which shortens its working life. Paint is degraded by daily doses of ultraviolet rays, and this damage leads to ultimate failure. Hell, as soon as we're born, we start to die! (But you and I are still kicking!)

So, I simply cannot accept that one 5 minute exposure to 200, 210 or even 220 degrees is going to destroy the properties of transmission fluid. Is it degraded? Hell yes! How much? Who knows, but I doubt the exposure is more serious than a severe case of sunburn on our lifespan.

But yes, after the trip when the fluid temperature reached 226, I had the transmission fluid changed.

And, we really don't know if the temperatures in the "failure" chart are indicative of actual fluid temperatures or temperatures at the sensors installed in engines. Even if they are actual temps, the total fluid temp in the transmission is not uniform - some parts of it will probably be lower (as well as higher).

- Jack

Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Once you load a tune from the Edge can you take the unit out and still have the tune installed on your computer? Reason I am asking is there were 3 cars that were broken into on my street last night, one was my grilfriends. I dont want to leave the edge sitting on my dash for a thief to come and take it. Im also glad I havent installed it yet because im sure they would of went into my truck if they saw that on the dash.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Once you load a tune from the Edge can you take the unit out and still have the tune installed on your computer? Reason I am asking is there were 3 cars that were broken into on my street last night, one was my grilfriends. I dont want to leave the edge sitting on my dash for a thief to come and take it. Im also glad I havent installed it yet because im sure they would of went into my truck if they saw that on the dash.
Yes.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Still no one with any updated stats? 0-60 before and after? MPG before and after (though my mileage has already dropped .5 MPG due to it getting colder). There has been lots of good conversations about transmission temperatures and such, but no one has answered the original question.

Data would be most appreciated!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yes.
Originally Posted by used2vtec

So, It is the correct/cheapest model to buy if you plan on just using it for download as well as custom tunes from PHP?

Thanks,

Jeff

Quick Reply: CS & CTS for '09-'10, How about some updated stats???