hmmm i wonder

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm i wonder

Is there anything I can buy/get that JUST removes the speed limiter. Is that possible. I don't want to tune or any of that. Just want to remove the speed limiter....

Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
Is there anything I can buy/get that JUST removes the speed limiter. Is that possible. I don't want to tune or any of that. Just want to remove the speed limiter....
Considering what something lke a TirePaq costs ( ~$200), that only does speedo correction, I'd consider a custom tuner with a single tune file that only does what you'd want. Email Justin @ VMP and ask.

But - having said that, you would not want to turn down the benefits of the full optimizations available ... once you had the hardware

I don't know whether or not you could get a used Edge, run Level 1 (tranny only) with a Custom setting for the speed limiter only. Need to ask an Edge guru - '88, or Jack. Heck - even BJ . Big thing here is support for yer strategy ,being it's an H-D.

This approach may be possible with other 'canned' devices - Superchips or Diablo. Hopefully the respective supporting members can elaborate.

Lastly, IF the canned devices won't dance - ask VMP if they have any older X2's kicking around - used they should be less than $100 unlocked - add a single tune file ( $60) with only the limiter gone and yer at $160 tops. Worth a shot. (Low-ball a used unit if it pops up in the classifieds?)

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-06-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM
The only prob with this is I've already talked to Troyer. He's going to throw the upgrade kit on in dec for me (if i keep it that long) which includes the 3 tune tuner. I just don't want to wait to knock off the limiter. Mike also told me that I should never buy a canned tune or a custom tune unless it's dyno custom. I was going to order a SCT from him but he said they don't do that with SC'd trucks.

Last edited by MRLSU2U; 10-06-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
The only prob with this is I've already talked to Troyer. I'm going to have him dyno tune it in dec (if i keep it that long) I just don't want to wait to knock off the limiter.
OK - have him send you the handheld now ( and read the strategy), then contact VMP for the single tune file. You'll be up & running in a couple days...

Boy - yer impatient. That costs, buddy

MGD

Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
OK - have him send you the handheld now ( and read the strategy), then contact VMP for the single tune file. You'll be up & running in a couple days...

Boy - yer impatient. That costs, buddy

MGD
I edited my post

Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
Sniper can raise or turn off speed limiter while using factory powertrain tune.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Yeah, but my sniper just give up his service on me, it just get busted...... I dont know what happens.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
A Predator has the ability to modify the stock tgune as well, in which case you could simply turn off the speed limiter if thats all oyu wanted

Old 10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
well its been 2 weeks for me so far and my truck is not "up and running". and justin has decided to not respond to my emails anymore, oh and thats after he sent me tunes that are possibly for a different truck(also someone else on here that i am in contact with had the SAME EXACT problem, and justin stopped contacting him too, he actually sent me a PM to ask if justin is even replying to me, which at the time, justin was replying still). i told him i have a 08 4.2L V6 with a manual, seems i may have gotten tunes for an auto since my info center says trans fault when a tune is loaded and also my O/D off light flashes. used the 87 perf and the 87 economy, perf worked ok then at about 4k it seems like it is trying to flood the engine, and the economy tune gives my truck a severe hesitation, almost stalling. and after i turned around from feeling the hesitation, i couldnt go any faster than 20mph. i received the SCT tuner on the 24th, with bad tunes(truck wouldnt even start). next day sent me new ones that were the ones i described above. last time he emailed me was 9/28 and i have sent him 4 or 5 emails since then with no reply. started out being a few hours after i emailed him and got longer and longer and now none at all. and he doesnt pick up the phone either. dont know how he is still in business. so now i have a $400 SCT tuner that i cant do a damn thing with..until i can save up some money and get a tune from php or troyer. i called troyer a few days ago and they picked up before the 2nd ring. anyone reading this, dont go with VMP. it is better to wait the 9 months from troyer than to get nothing at all. so if justin is able to read any of this, thanks for letting me save up for over a year for nothing.
Sorry to hear that. I truly am.

But, instead of crapping up this thread, Please start yer own - this isn't the first place I've seen you ranting about this same thing.

Unfortunately, many more on here have had great results and responsive service from Justin - me included (a 24 hour turnaround, no premium, and a stellar tune, for a great price).

Any tuner shop that's been discussed on this board has has it's share of unhappy customers. And - there is absolutely nothing we can do about your, or others specific issues.

My recommendation - keep trying. Or go elsewhere. It's that simple.

Good luck Timmy.

MGD

Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone know if there is a way to remove the speed limiter on the stock tune with an SCT X3?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
anyone know if there is a way to remove the speed limiter on the stock tune with an SCT X3?
Yep.

As stated - simply request a tune file using the factory calibration currently in the PCM, with just that item modified. And - it's not really removed, it's raised to a much higher limit.

Since you are not going to be worrying about any other optimizations, just about any SCT dealer can do this - shop for price on this one.

Caveats concerning tire ratings, safety, etc apply - owner beware.

MGD

Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Timmy, we have a "Cheers and Jeers" section. I suggest you confine your complaint to that area and, don't just go on a rant. Please be specific and unemotional about your experience.

I'll go ahead and remove the posts you "changed", since it looks like you would prefer that to happen. I'm going to leave the one in by MGDFan however, even though it quotes you, since it provides "balance". And, there was nothing really wrong with what you posted, we'd just rather you didn't do it here.

- Jack

Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not trying to hate on Justin. But we've been having a convo back and forth. I have told him 3 times that my truck is stock besides exhaust??? However he continues to keep asking what kind of intake is on and all this other junk. I'm not hating on the guy just wondering why the word "stock" isn't coming through to him. Anybody here ever actually have him work on there truck? or just custom tunes????

Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
JACK AND JANET, yeah, thanks to MGD, i decided to try to remove it but yeah whatever you want is cool with me. i realized that i really only tried to call him once, but still the emails with no reply....dont know but whatever. i am trying to email SCT to see if they can send me the canned tunes since i did just buy the thing last month.

anyone know how to order canned tunes from SCT without buying another tuner? cant find it anywhere...
and to MLRSU, yeah he didnt understand the words "manual transmission" apparently either. i told him 3 times too. i am now wondering if i got tunes for a V8 also. oh wait, i asked him that and got no reply....

Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yep.

As stated - simply request a tune file using the factory calibration currently in the PCM, with just that item modified. And - it's not really removed, it's raised to a much higher limit.

Since you are not going to be worrying about any other optimizations, just about any SCT dealer can do this - shop for price on this one.

Caveats concerning tire ratings, safety, etc apply - owner beware.

MGD
oh i thought it was removed. the SCT has from 20 to 125mph then has "off". i kind of want to try 20mph just to see if it will really work. but not if i have to pay for it tho..plus my tires are rated for 108 i think, so nothing crazy but still just knowing i can go faster than 100 is cool. maybe my next set of tires will be a higher rating, but i just bought new ones in june. so another 35,000 miles and ill probably get better ones.

Quick Reply: hmmm i wonder