Major CS/CTS Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010 | 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poonjahb
Yeah, that didn't get me anywhere either. I chatted with Cody in Montana, then waited for over half an hour while he tried to get a response from anyone in Georgia with no luck. Still didn't get anywhere with it. I submitted a trouble ticket through that site over a week ago as well and have not gotten any response at all on it. I understand that they are busy but can't believe that they can completely ignore a customer that paid them $580 over three months ago and is still waiting on what I paid for. I'm not asking for Bill to rush it and get my tunes done today, I'm just asking for some sort of resposne that at least they acknowledge that I exist and am still on a list somewhere.
X2 - I have very politely called, used live help, and emailed for the last 4-weeks - no response. My order is moving past 3-months. I run a small business, and I understand being busy (and getting behind on work). However, there is a line between being busy and being disrespectful by not even acknowledging your customers after they submit payment. I know PHP is fervently defended by many on this forum, and someone will get all up in arms over this post, but fanbois aside, this type of action is just a lack of respect for clients. Sorry - excuses are what excuses are. I hope the product is worth the wait (and I still have the truck by the time the product is delivered).

Old 10-15-2010 | 01:07 PM
Completely understand where you are both coming from. Been there done that, as they say. More then a couple times at that. I was just offering up an idea(in case it hadn't been tried). Live support is all thats ever worked for me with PHP.

I last contacted Bill on the 7th about the incoming update from Edge. Haven't heard from him since then.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 10-15-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2010 | 02:02 PM
So, slightly more on topic... If for some unknown reason I do get my tunes before this update is rolled out, does anyone know how long my tunes will be available in Fusion once Bill uploads them? I may be out of commission for a little while in a couple of weeks and would hate to miss my window to download and have to try getting in touch with someone there again to have him re-upload them for me.

Old 10-15-2010 | 02:02 PM
Just talked to Bill. No real new info or anything, but just thought I'd share. About the "major" update...

There has been a new software release as of 9/28 (1413 update) from Edge.
"It will only cause Bill to have to put the tunes back on Fusion. We still don't know when or how this major update will take place."

Old 10-15-2010 | 03:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

PHP has got their hands full especially with dyno day coming up on the 26th.....

Old 10-15-2010 | 03:55 PM
Dyno day is the 23rd, but that still doesn't excuse them for not responding to inquiries whatsoever for over 3 months now.

Old 10-15-2010 | 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
PHP has got their hands full especially with dyno day coming up on the 26th.....
In my experience, planning to do or take on more work than you can handle is not a good business plan. Even if your product quality does not suffer, your clients will be less than happy with the results because of poor service.

Great, they are having a dyno day - I hope they make a lot of money devoting to time another project, while they are not completing the work I have already paid for upfront (many months ago).

Last edited by folkxrock; 10-15-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2010 | 04:25 PM

If you guys only knew..............

Old 10-15-2010 | 04:38 PM

If you guys only knew..............

What is to know? I would assume you are referencing some type of personal problem or issue. If that is the case, I can and should be empathetic to a personal situation.

However, as a business owner, you have some responsibility to people that have paid you in advance (trust me, I have been self-employed for many years). That responsibility can be as small as a website post or a form email just letting your customers know you have not forgotten about them, and you appreciate their patience and understanding - ignoring all contact is not a good plan of action.

Again, with that said, I hope the folks at PHP are not experiencing any personal hardship in any form, and if they are, I wish them the best – but with zero communication, it is difficult to be empathetic or understand to “If you guys only knew” – because are 100% correct, I don’t know.

Old 10-15-2010 | 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have always been upfront and honest.

An Open Letter to Our Customers

March 2010

To Our Customers – Past, Present, and Future,

In 2007, during the early months of Power Hungry Performance, there was no way we could have predicted how quickly our company would grow! We are very blessed to have a thriving business, and we owe so much of our success to our incredible customers who promote PHP on the forums and to their friends and families.

For those of you who don’t know, PHP is run by the husband and wife team of Bill and Corey Cohron. Bill has been in the automotive field for more than twenty years and specifically in the performance industry for the past dozen years. He started off at Superchips in the late nineties – back in the early days of custom tuning. Along with Steve Cole, he was one of the first 7.3L tuners and wrote many of the calibrations still in use today.

Bill left Superchips and opened Diesel Power. Have you read or heard about “Bill’s Chips?” Well, those are chips that were sold between 2000 and 2004. During this time, we also sold tuning software under the name DPTuner (Diesel Power Tuner) to many performance shops.

In 2003, Edge Products was a young company looking for a Ford tuner. They called Bill and offered him a job after his name kept coming up during various inquiries within the performance community. Bill worked for Edge from February 2004 through May 2007. Along with an amazing team, Bill was responsible for much of the development of Edge’s Evolution Programmer, from initial concept and design to firmware and calibrations.

We relocated back to the east coast in June 2007 to start a new company with another tuner; that didn’t go as planned, and Power Hungry Performance was created! At that time, it was obvious that many diesel tuners had entered the field since Bill had gone to work for Edge, so we found our niche in the gasoline market. By mid 2008, at the request of many customers, we expanded PHP to include diesels and ironically, have been dubbed “one of the big three” in both gasoline and diesel tuning on the forums.

I had been teaching for the previous 12 years but didn’t plan on going back into the classroom when we moved to Georgia. Since I also have a degree in fine arts, Bill asked me to design the PHP logo and a logo for our first product, the Gryphon programmer. Soon, what began as taking a few phone calls and answering a couple of e-mails turned into a full-time job!

So, why did I take the time to tell you this when you can read just about the same thing on our website? I think it’s important for people to know how we got to the point where we are now because I think it answers the question Why Is PHP So Busy?

Back in 2008, we became sponsors on a couple of forums (some of which we’d sponsored previously when we owned Diesel Power), and that’s really how our business expanded. Since then, we have added a couple more (for those of you who don’t know, we can’t even answer questions about our product on a forum if we’re not a sponsor!), and our business has expanded exponentially.

Since 2007, our sales – literally – have quadrupled, and in the past year, we have added approximately ten new items to our product line. Currently, our phones ring fairly constantly during our posted phone hours; however, we take phone calls until 9PM two nights a week, and there are many nights that we’re on the phone even later than that! We also receive about 100 e-mails each day; answering all of them is just about a full-time job in itself. Yes, we’ve certainly experienced some growing pains while trying to keep up with the demand!

So, what have we done to ensure that our customer service doesn’t suffer?

The PHP Forum went live on November 29, 2008, and we currently have about 1,450 members and over 25,000 posts! Current and potential customers are encouraged to check out the forum to find answers to questions they might have about our products. We have four incredibly knowledgeable moderators who are more than willing to help when we’re not available. Ideally, this should reduce the number of e-mails and phone calls that we receive about basic product questions, which will allow us more time to focus on e-mails and PMs that require more detailed answers.
We have instituted a “No Phones Week” during the third full business week of every month. During this week, business generally operates as usual – we just don’t accept phone calls. This allows us uninterrupted time to work on tuning, answering e-mails, PMs, & posts, processing & shipping orders, live tuning customers’ vehicles, and working on new product development. If customers have questions during this week, we are happy to call them if they PM or e-mail us their phone numbers.
We have recently adjusted our phone hours to balance support of new customers as well as current customers.
We have added two additional phone lines – one being a dedicated phone line for dealers to keep the other lines open for customers.
We are looking to upgrade our server to include Microsoft Exchange so that our e-mail doesn’t have to go through a host server. This should alleviate most of the absentee e-mails.
The website was recently completely redone and updated to include approximate lead times on our products; our FAQs page was updated as well. We also recently added a "Tips & Tricks" page which will, hopefully, answer potential and new customers' questions.
Currently, we are not accepting new dealer applications. We want to be able to give our customers AND our current dealers the support they deserve, and at this point, it means stabilizing our current growth.
Significant news (office closures, etc.) is posted on our website’s homepage and in the Notices section at the top of our forum. We also usually post events on our sponsored forums as well.

Even after doing all of these things, we have to admit that there are still times when some few phones calls may go unanswered or posts or e-mails may not receive an immediate reply, and we apologize for this in advance. Please know that it’s not because we’re ignoring our customers. I work about 60-70 hours a week and Bill works at least 80 hours each week (many times throughout the night and on weekends) to do everything we can to keep our customers happy because we genuinely love what we do!

Now, some of you might not know a lot about Bill, and I will do my best to keep my observations objective. Bill is the type of person that gives every project 100%, whether it’s live tuning a truck or writing software for a new product. He is also very adamant about what is acceptable for our customers and what isn’t. For example, someone recently asked him, “If two [Gryphon] customers have the same HEX code and modifications, isn’t there a way to reuse the tunes.” He abruptly replied, “If a customer pays for custom tunes, he’s going to get custom tunes.” We know that some other companies reuse calibrations for several customers, but to us, that sounds like canned tuning. Sure, if we simply reused tunes, we could get products out the door by the dozen! In our opinion, however, custom tunes are called “custom tunes” because they’re written specifically for each customer. Does it slow things down? Sure does, but we are always willing to refer potential customers to other vendors if the wait is an issue.

Something else about Bill – he works far more efficiently when working on one project start to finish than when he is pulled in many directions at once – which happens all the time! (Hence, the “No Phones Week” and the reason he works through the night quite often…) However, if a customer has a disabled vehicle requiring his immediate attention, he puts everything down and concentrates fully on the problem at hand until the issue is resolved.

The last thing I want to point out is that most other tuners simply program chips or programmers all day and that’s it. As one customer observed today, Bill really is a jack of all trades. So what is it exactly that he does for PHP? I’ll try to make a list:

Custom gasoline tuning for customers
Custom diesel tuning for customers and dealers
Customer tech support
Hardware Engineering and New Product Development including electronic circuitry
Software for current and new products
Firmware for new products
Sales Phone Calls
Dealer Phone Calls
Forum Management
Live Tuning
6.0L FICM Tuning
PCM Reprogramming
E-mails, PMs, and Posts
and to top it off, he is still subcontracted by Edge!

When it’s written out like that, it’s easy to see why a custom tuned chip might take a couple of weeks and a customer’s gasoline custom tunes might take much longer. It’s also evident why we can’t just hire someone to do what he does.

In case you're wondering... yes, we see the posts where people claim to have sent us dozens of e-mails and called hundreds of times to avail. I even read one that suggests that we stop growing so quickly! (How we would accomplish that, I’m not so sure.) We’ve also read the ones praising us for our customer service and thanking us for helping after hours. Eventually, we see them all.

We certainly realize that there are definitely going to be some changes that need to be made within the next 1-2 years if we continue growing at this rate, and yes, we talk about the expansion of Power Hungry Performance just about every day. At this juncture, however, there are just two of us, and we are willing to give everything we have to making PHP a huge success.

So, knowing all this, should you buy from us? It’s definitely a valid question. We are asked often, “Why is your product better than Product X?” or “Why is your tuning better than Tuner X?” We never compare ourselves to anyone else, and we only compare products feature to feature. Without equivocation, I can say that Bill is one of the best Ford tuners in this field – and I can provide a list of other tuners who would back me up. I think that says a lot.

Is experience and longevity in the automotive performance industry important to you? Do you want to give your business to a company who is willing to spend 10 hours – on a Sunday! -- writing new software to recover your PCM because you killed your truck? (Bill finally got it to work about 2AM on Monday morning, if you’re wondering…) Would you prefer to work with a company who is happy to talk you OUT of purchasing something you don’t need instead of talking you INTO something you don’t need? Then yes, I think you'd be very happy with our products. Will you have to wait at least a week for a chip and longer than that for gasoline custom tunes? Probably. Why? Because we have lots and lots of customers and are very, very busy. That says it best, and we couldn’t pay for that kind of advertising.

I hope this information helps you make a more educated choice regarding your purchase. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have! We look forward to being able to help you with your automotive needs!

Old 10-15-2010 | 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by folkxrock
What is to know? I would assume you are referencing some type of personal problem or issue. If that is the case, I can and should be empathetic to a personal situation.

However, as a business owner, you have some responsibility to people that have paid you in advance (trust me, I have been self-employed for many years). That responsibility can be as small as a website post or a form email just letting your customers know you have not forgotten about them, and you appreciate their patience and understanding - ignoring all contact is not a good plan of action.

Again, with that said, I hope the folks at PHP are not experiencing any personal hardship in any form, and if they are, I wish them the best – but with zero communication, it is difficult to be empathetic or understand to “If you guys only knew” – because are 100% correct, I don’t know.
This summer they had a three person staff.
Now they're down to two people.
The other fills in when he can.
If Corey gets sick which happens then Bill is manning the office by himself along with taking care of TWO kids.

I'm defensive about this because I've read tooooo many threads about this same subject.

That's were the terminology of "troll" comes into place another term is "thread crapping".

Yes, communications from them is not that awesome but I've dealt with worse.

If you want something good you're just going to have to wait........

Old 10-15-2010 | 05:25 PM
Again, I have no problem waiting, I just want a response and maybe a straight answer. The last response I actually got from anyone was on the phone with Cody on September 22nd or 23rd, he said he talked to Bill and I was one of 3 tunes left from July and that Bill said that he would have them done by the beginning of the next week (27th-28th of September). Ever since then I have not been able to get a response from anyone via phone, email, their own ticketing system or webchat. If they have a lot going on, I understand things taking a bit longer than normal. I would be fine with a delayed response via any one of the communication methods that they advertise, but to not bother to respond at all is simply inexcusable.

Old 10-15-2010 | 05:39 PM
This summer they had a three person staff.
Now they're down to two people.
The other fills in when he can.
If Corey gets sick which happens then Bill is manning the office by himself along with taking care of TWO kids.

I'm defensive about this because I've read tooooo many threads about this same subject.

That's were the terminology of "troll" comes into place another term is "thread crapping".

Yes, communications from them is not that awesome but I've dealt with worse.

If you want something good you're just going to have to wait........
88racing,

I am not trying to offend you, but business is business. I am sorry (and can be understanding) that they have difficulties and problems - overcoming problems is 90% of what being a successful small business owner is all about.
In 2006, I worked 18 hour days for nearly 9 months - and stayed about 3-weeks behind at best. The next season, I reduced my workload (and effectively my pay) until I figured out a more efficient process. When I did get backed up with work, I hired someone good CS skills to call and email my clients, and keep them posted on our progress - to be proactive. I have been very late on projects when overloaded, but my clients did not get upset because we constantly stayed in communication, thanked them for being patient and made sure they were taken care of until the contract was completed - and after.

Again, not to offend you (or repost #31), but excuses are what they are – I just don’t see much argument – that is why they are called excuses.

It goes back to treating people like you want to be treated. I generally don't ignore people - especially those paying my bills.

Last - I am not sure where you get off tossing out the troll card - trolls generally don't pay in advance. Thread cap away. You are taking constructive criticism about your buddy personally - rather than realistically. We are not saying they are bad people - again, business is business. PHP told me no more than 6-weeks, it is past 12-weeks and counting now. As far as I know they could have took my money and ran – because I don’t know, because they won’t respond to me. And if you have read so many threads about the same subject, it is obvious they have a problem - not the people posting the threads. Rant off.

Old 10-15-2010 | 06:29 PM

Trolls and thread crappers are members of a forum who publically complain about a service they get from a forum sponser or non forum sponser.

You do realize that there is a cheers and jeers section in this forum and if any complaints were to be made they should be addressed there instead of hijacking a thread?

Think it
Type it
Post it
But
Think of where........

Anything to add to the CS CTS update while you're ranting..........

Old 10-15-2010 | 06:29 PM
|
I think what 88 is trying to get at is that PHP is always updating their website with what is going on with their business and personal lives. Whenever they know something is coming up that is going to delay business, they make sure to let people know...and when things have come up unexpectedly they have been great about apologizing for any inconveniences that they may have caused anyone.

If you do not check their website or the forums to keep up to date with what is going on, well that's your own fault. I have never had a problem calling them during their phone hours, and whenever I have called them, they always inform me on what I wanted to know.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you know the whole story. I also think that they got bigger than they expected a little faster than they expected and I am sure they are having a heck of a time finding someone else to hire that they can trust and rely on to get things done right.

But as previously stated, there are numerous threads that get the same negative feedback, which isn't needed here because this thread really didn't even have anything to do with them to begin with; and you should have known before you ordered that you would be waiting and that their feedback can be slow at times...in which case you should have gone with a different company.

Quick Reply: Major CS/CTS Update